ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 198722 times)

Tim Sheumack

Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »

I ‘found’ the ae2500 after hosting a guest engineer when doing the Polyrhithmics a couple of months back.  Guy had a really nice sounding kit.  We had a long chat about drum and percussion mics and techniques.  Young guy but an old soul sound wise.

Based on liking the AE2500 I went out and bought the AT250DE which I think was sold as the dual element version/incarnation (which had a condenser/dynamic capsule housed inside). Maybe mine had issues but couldn’t find a use for it and struggled using it and got rid of it.

Like everyone else has said the mic depends on genre and either a beta52, e902 or Beyer M88 seems to cover my bases for recording and live kick.

My fave to use is probably the M88 (I’ve got 2 mint earlier silver grill versions with old tuchel connectors - M88n that sound amazing but I’m very weary of blowing them on kick these days and 3x TG versions that rule on kick and many other things...toms, guitar cab, sax etc). There’s nothing like a great jazz kit with an M88 on kick.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:41:17 PM by Tim Sheumack »

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2018, 01:35:59 PM »

Based on liking the AE2500 I went out and bought the AT250DE which I think was sold as the dual element version/incarnation (which had a condenser/dynamic capsule housed inside).

To clarify, both the 2500 and 250DE are dual element - the 250 being in the more "regular" series and the 2500 being in the "elite" or premium series.
FWIW,
David

Tiago Gomes

« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2018, 11:45:30 PM »

I really love the SHURE 91A but I absolutelly don't relly on it alone, so I use a Beta 52 most of the times or both. I found out the way to reduce the distortion problem with the 91A was to use a proper cable directly to the Stagebox. If I use a sub-box I am pretty sure I will get distortion in the first kick right away... perhaps a 48v issue or something...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2018, 11:50:20 PM »

I found out the way to reduce the distortion problem with the 91A was to use a proper cable directly to the Stagebox. If I use a sub-box I am pretty sure I will get distortion in the first kick right away... perhaps a 48v issue or something...

Come again?  That doesn't add up.  Why would a section of cable, on a balanced line, make a bit of difference? 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tiago Gomes

« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2018, 11:55:26 PM »

Come again?  That doesn't add up.  Why would a section of cable, on a balanced line, make a bit of difference?
It seems stupid, I know, but I get the distortion/clipping issue if using a sub box and using a 'full size' mic cable I don't. Sub box works with all other microphones... with or without 48v, go figure.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2018, 07:42:02 AM »

It seems stupid, I know, but I get the distortion/clipping issue if using a sub box and using a 'full size' mic cable I don't. Sub box works with all other microphones... with or without 48v, go figure.
Time to replace that sub box.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2019, 11:14:01 PM »

My new favourite kick mic: Beyerdynamic TG D71.

After a few months of use i yet have to find any fault. This thing is the bee's knees. Build like a tank, fairly cost effective, sounds very very nice. No need for a LDD. Very easy to eq. Almost never the need for a gate, even with a side fill.

I suspect it will also perform very well with double bass drums, and/or use as a trigger. Will find out in a couple of weeks.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2019, 02:08:10 AM »

My favorite mic has always been the Shure Beta 91. I have recently picked up a Miktek PM5D 5 piece mic drum kit and must say I am rather pleased. The kick drum mic ( the PM11 ) I find to be much like what they say, a neutral and full sounding kick mic. It has plenty of attack and LOTS of low-end thump with a smooth blend of mids. I have done a few shows with it and recorded a couple a couple of them and both times I was happy with the results. It has the modern kick drum sound without being too hyped or fake sounding. It sort of has the blend of the D6 mixed with the Beta 91.

What I always loved about the Beta 91 is the ability to get a punchy, clear, neutral, real and powerful kick drum sound. It is not naturally that way, and you have to mold the sound, but it is so neutral it can be made to sound just about however you need it to. The Miketek PM11 kind of gets you most of the way to where you want to get to without much if any real work.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »

For the past few years my favorite has been a Heil PR48 on the beater side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John P. Farrell

« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »

I have recently picked up a Miktek PM5D 5 piece mic drum kit and must say I am rather pleased.

Little bit of a swerve....I've heard the miktek stuff and liked how it performed, but how are you finding the PM10 mics with regards to placement?  They are ENORMOUS!  Especially on 12" or smaller drums.  And the 904 style clip is so long that I feel like it wobbles a bit too much.  After using it for a bit do you have any issues with the physical size/placement? 

I do like the PM11 but not enough to go out and change all my B52/SM91 combos. 

Cheers!

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.