ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: program smart ups to shut down board recording?  (Read 650 times)

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
program smart ups to shut down board recording?
« on: February 02, 2019, 02:43:20 pm »

I'm thinking about a way to keep the usb recording on the QL5 from becoming unusable in the event of a power failure (or deliberate shutdown without stopping the recording). Has anyone used the gpi input for this purpose? There are many smart ups units that will safely shut down connected computers, I'm wondering if there is a way to program one to send a gpi message to stop the recording.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: program smart ups to shut down board recording?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 02:59:24 pm »

I'm thinking about a way to keep the usb recording on the QL5 from becoming unusable in the event of a power failure (or deliberate shutdown without stopping the recording). Has anyone used the gpi input for this purpose? There are many smart ups units that will safely shut down connected computers, I'm wondering if there is a way to program one to send a gpi message to stop the recording.

Interfacing with UPSs can be tricky because mfgrs want you to buy their software so they donít usually document the interface very well (if at all).  Intrepid coders have done so though and thereís a pretty solid UPS daemon available for Linux computers now.

My angle would be to interface the UPS with a raspberry pi computer and then fire a gpio from that.  The built in gpio on the pi makes it great for these sorts of things.  Plus itís small so you can just throw it in the doghouse with a little Velcro and youíre good to go.  I run headless effectively embedded raspberry pis in a few places and they work great and are as bulletproof as the software I write for them.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 03:56:56 pm »

I think you could do something as simple as a wall wart power supply producing a low DC voltage. When mains power drops the loss of that DC voltage could (I need some time to think about how) a GPIO input.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 04:13:38 pm »

Many UPS (eg. Cyberpower, APC) have "dry contact" relay connections which can be programmed to engage when the UPS switches to battery power. Attaching that to the GPI connector on the QL would just require wiring up the appropriate connectors and then setting the appropriate GPI IN setting on the console to Transport Stop.
Won't help you though if someone shuts off the console via the power switch on the console, or pulls the AC on the console...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:20:54 pm by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:47:08 pm »

Fixed it. For anyone interested in how, it went like this:
The console is plugged into a ups.
I plugged a 120v dry contact relay into a non-ups outlet, and wired that to the gpi input.
The gpi is programmed to stop the recorder instantly when mains power is cut to the relay.
Pretty simple solution, works like a charm.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:51:29 pm »

I plugged a 120v dry contact relay into a non-ups outlet, and wired that to the gpi input.
The gpi is programmed to stop the recorder instantly when mains power is cut to the relay.

Simple and elegant. Thanks for sharing your solution.  :)
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 03:27:06 am »

Bob,  would a time delay be handy to stop nuisance trips?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 01:02:47 pm »

Bob,  would a time delay be handy to stop nuisance trips?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
I suppose that could come in handy in certain situations. I actually set the gpi to trigger the "autorecord", so it doesn't stop recording completely, it simply track increments. I'll lose a couple of seconds on the recording, but if it was a quick false alarm type power drop (?), I won't need to remember to start the recording again. If it truly is a power down, the restarted recording will just be the last one on the drive and unusable. No loss.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 01:55:23 am »

I suppose that could come in handy in certain situations. I actually set the gpi to trigger the "autorecord", so it doesn't stop recording completely, it simply track increments. I'll lose a couple of seconds on the recording, but if it was a quick false alarm type power drop (?), I won't need to remember to start the recording again. If it truly is a power down, the restarted recording will just be the last one on the drive and unusable. No loss.

Ok, yes that was my concern, a short power "burp", one easily mitigated by the UPS, would cause loss of recording.  You have addressed this contingency in what sounds like an elegant way.

It's interesting the way software and hardware people think.  If I was charged with this task I would have used a Raspberry Pi or some other tiny computer, connected to the control interface on the UPS then wrote out an OSC or XML event to the board to initiate the record shutdown.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 12:29:05 pm »

If I was charged with this task I would have used a Raspberry Pi or some other tiny computer, connected to the control interface on the UPS then wrote out an OSC or XML event to the board to initiate the record shutdown.
No need when the hardware is already part of the console (i.e. GPI).

As I mentioned, if you were planning this functionality from the get-go, grab a UPS that already has dry contact outputs built-in, and then all you would need is a cable connecting the UPS and console and voila!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.