ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Small (really small) venue - Redline RL-15, NX45a, or ??  (Read 5284 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Small (really small) venue - Redline RL-15, NX45a, or ??
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 06:43:12 AM »

For 65 people, mostly seated and paying attention, I'd be looking at a pair of decent 12" 2-way boxes.
The good ones will handle a bit of kick just fine, although they're unlikely to do much more than that.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »

Since I’m spending your money...
Danley SHMinis and a THMini sub.  Use an sc48 processor with an amp you have around already.
They are tiny and ridiculous.

Edit...
Sorry, I meant “Nano Sub”
They are tiny and rediculous

We have minis and a thmini.  Great tiny system.  With the advent of the go2 I might look towards those - a sub may or may not be required.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 10:01:15 AM »

You have room for tripods, but not for a little sub?

I would sell the nx's, and buy a 705 mk2 sub with a pair of 10" tops, be it the 310, hd10 or (pref) 710 or something similar from a different manufacturer. Would be a killer small system for about the same money.

And i would try to get the venue to spring for 2 monitors and maybe a x32 rack.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:05:12 AM by Geert Friedhof »

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »

There are couches that sit near the wall near the stage. Tripod legs fit in nicely. Subs don’t.

I supply DSR112 monitors and an X32 Rack.

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 07:29:42 PM »

We have minis and a thmini.  Great tiny system.  With the advent of the go2 I might look towards those - a sub may or may not be required.   

The Nano Sub is, I believe, the same enclosure as the GO2s, different port and driver obviously. But a really nice compact package.  The demo of it at INFOCOMM was impressive
https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/nano-sub/

Rick Powell

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 11:06:48 PM »

Looks like you could mount a GO2 and a NanoSub both on the same tripod, with a little creative mounting.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 06:57:54 AM »

I used to manage a 200cap venue, we had two RL-15 as mains with a RL-12 as outfill for the bar and two SB1000 under the stage. I liked that system, mixed 100+ shows on it without any issues on a lot of different styles of music.

Steve Garris

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 04:24:38 PM »

Contrary to many here, I'm a fan of 15" 2-way boxes even when used with sub's. If you can't have a sub in there then I absolutely recommend a 15" 2-way. JBL PRX815's would be great, and SRX115's even better. I have both and use the PRX for small rooms and the SRX for big rooms or outside. YMMV

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 12:14:57 PM »

Contrary to many here, I'm a fan of 15" 2-way boxes even when used with sub's. If you can't have a sub in there then I absolutely recommend a 15" 2-way. JBL PRX815's would be great, and SRX115's even better. I have both and use the PRX for small rooms and the SRX for big rooms or outside. YMMV

A sub(s) can easily overpower small venues like that.  That Danley looks like a winner with a compatible 10" or 12".  If there is room on the floor (which it sounds as there's not), the EVOX 8 is a great alternative. Full, tight, clean, crisp. Punches well above its weight.

Depending on the genre and low end required, I'll plug the RCF TT08a and the DB TECH DVX D8 HP.  Won't do much to feel the kick, but reproduces a stand-up bass respectably. With the small cabinets of the two 8s mentioned, and the EVOX 8, sight lines will clean up very well compared to a 2-way 15 cabinet.  Don't know if sight lines are an issue, though.  Plus, even on a 7' ceiling, flying something small like these might clean things up even more.

If it were me, I'd choose something out of my inventory to donate/rent/sell to the venue rather than purchase something new.  The NX45a seem to be an ideal, albeit expensive, solution.  A known quantity.

As far as the JRX sounding better than they should in that venue - a system can over-perform when the room cooperates, and there is someone competent and creative at the controls.

Noting you're getting out of the business, taking care of a small venue like that is very rewarding, as you know.  Nothing like great music in an intimate venue with a listening audience.  Great sound and the overall vibe of the place keeps the good performers knocking on the door.

Glad you've found a home.

I'd like to visit the venue should I pass your way.  Sounds perfect.

frank

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 03:41:22 PM »

Thanks again everyone, and Frank - absolutely. If you find yourself in Madison, WI and there's a show at the venue, give me a shout. I'd love to have you there.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 03:41:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.