ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: should rappers bring their own mic's?  (Read 5711 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: should rappers bring their own mic's?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 12:44:24 PM »

Don't forget the mic drop at the end! >:(
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »

I just sort of cringe when I see the their videos where they have a beer in one hand and a cupped mic in their mouth in the other.  If the mic's actually suffer any damage I guess I will know better next time.

I’m curious what other music work you’re doing that is different from this.  The music style has nothing to do with it.  I’m assuming you haven’t seen the effects of heavily applied bright pink lipstick eh?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »

I’m curious what other music work you’re doing that is different from this.  The music style has nothing to do with it.  I’m assuming you haven’t seen the effects of heavily applied bright pink lipstick eh?

Or bright red...

Just pull the mesh off, remove the foam (to wash and dry separately) and load up a draw in the dishwasher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 06:58:24 PM »

sounds like I need to suck it up and provide the mic's.  I think it is really only 2 guys that rap full time and I do have some older 58's.  I also have an unused SM48 that maybe I'll sneak into the mix. 

I just sort of cringe when I see the their videos where they have a beer in one hand and a cupped mic in their mouth in the other.  If the mic's actually suffer any damage I guess I will know better next time.

The beer in the hand?  ANY country gig.  All country gigs.  Spilling into wedges, onto pedal boards, and general loutishness.

Remove the SM58 ball from each mic, take them home and put them in the top rack of your dishwasher.  If there is dried yucky matter, soak them in warm water with a *small* amount of dish soap for a couple of hours.  Rise & put in dishwasher.  Regular cycle, remove and air dry before reassembly.

Use an alcohol prep pad and clean the exposed, non-foam parts of the SM58 before reassembly.

We keep some prep pads and some sanitizing wet-naps (first aid supply) in the work boxes to clean mics between singers or as needed.

A performer supplying mics is iffy.  Sometimes you get utter junk and sometimes they'll surprise you with nice kit and know how to use it.  In general I'm willing to listen to any mic and almost always will go with whatever the performer desires.  For a one-off it's not worth the hassle of artist discomfort.

Rap doesn't have to be a bad performance experience but you will need to get in touch with your inner MC.  By that I mean.... in order to ring out wedges and side fills you'll need to emulate the technique and physical interactions of speaker, mic, and performer.  Cup the mic.  Shout Dr. Suess (Dr Dre aint' got shit on Horton the Elephant), rap John Denver's "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" (it's harder than you'd think).  Point the mic down into a wedge.  Do what they do, but at this point you can control the potential chaos.  Make it as loud as you can in the monitors without feedback.  Back down on the sends about 6dB as your starting point with the talent.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 09:58:03 PM »

Rap doesn't have to be a bad performance experience but you will need to get in touch with your inner MC.  By that I mean.... in order to ring out wedges and side fills you'll need to emulate the technique and physical interactions of speaker, mic, and performer.  Cup the mic.  Shout Dr. Suess (Dr Dre aint' got shit on Horton the Elephant), rap John Denver's "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" (it's harder than you'd think).  Point the mic down into a wedge.  Do what they do, but at this point you can control the potential chaos.  Make it as loud as you can in the monitors without feedback.  Back down on the sends about 6dB as your starting point with the talent.

Watch your 2 khz when you cup the mic, you may even want to preemptively cut that by a fair amount. A little bit of compression on the vocal can really smooth out a performance. If the performer has access to right in front of the pa he most likely will stand right in front of it at some point. Be ready on your L/R pan on the vocals if they do that. Rap shows can be a lot of fun and are pretty easy to do.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 10:26:56 PM »

Watch your 2 khz when you cup the mic, you may even want to preemptively cut that by a fair amount. A little bit of compression on the vocal can really smooth out a performance. If the performer has access to right in front of the pa he most likely will stand right in front of it at some point. Be ready on your L/R pan on the vocals if they do that. Rap shows can be a lot of fun and are pretty easy to do.

I had a whole 'nuther paragraph that included some "spectral advice" but figured that Mike will suss it out.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Richard Turner

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 10:47:42 PM »

Most rap gigs i have the misfortune of touching are fill in nights, eg promotor booked talent for 2 weeks and this is small market tuesday night. they dont want to pay anything, the venue doesnt want to put anything into it as the crowd attracted prefers their intoxicants in smoke able forms and liquor sales rarely top 5 per patron. I tell them up front I provide only well beaten SM58. If they want more the local music store is open till 6 and I will handle a return at no charge.

We are lucky in the frozen north though local music store being a national chain and any rental from any store can be returned to any location. Most become savvy enough to just rent some good gear for the whole tour.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 12:15:50 AM »

Rap doesn't have to be a bad performance experience ...

Yeah, the metal fests I agreed to do last year turned out to be a lot more enjoyable than  expected. I was especially impressed with the friendliness of the crowd.  For every out of control rager there must have been ten guys that stepped up to keep them in line.

Lots of good advice here and I am a lot more optimistic going forward.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Scott Slater

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 07:58:15 AM »

The beer in the hand?  ANY country gig.  All country gigs.

Most bar gigs regardless of genre can be the same way.  That's one of the many reasons that I stopped doing them long ago.  :-\

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 03:19:05 PM »

Most bar gigs regardless of genre can be the same way.  That's one of the many reasons that I stopped doing them long ago.  :-\

I owned the big old Yamaha white-cone 15" monitors.  The woofers didn't survive but I was amazed at how long the HF would work if you poured out the beer and other fluids, disassembled and cleaned the driver & diaphragm.

Drunk people pay for lots of stuff with their consumption; the problem is that *we*, the folks whose gear is damaged, are not who gets a proportionate share of the money.

Our shop seldom does bar-level work as that market can't usually afford our rates and that's just fine with me.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 03:19:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.