ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Freelancer Insurance  (Read 3898 times)

Chris BT Davis

Freelancer Insurance
« on: January 30, 2019, 10:49:32 AM »

Hi All-

I've been perusing the past topics on insurance and entertainment-friendly agents, and it's all been helpful, but much of it is from a company/gear owner's perspective. I would be interested to hear from any freelancer types or non-employee touring folks regarding what types of coverage you're carrying, and any recommendations for agents that 'get-it'. General and Professional liability policies seem appropriate as well as an inland marine policy to cover tools, computers, etc, but I'd appreciate other's perspectives on the topic.

I'm about to make a change with the home and auto policies as well, and it would be great to work with a company that does it all but I'm not sold on that being a possibility, or at least not-frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Freelancer Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »

Hi All-

I've been perusing the past topics on insurance and entertainment-friendly agents, and it's all been helpful, but much of it is from a company/gear owner's perspective. I would be interested to hear from any freelancer types or non-employee touring folks regarding what types of coverage you're carrying, and any recommendations for agents that 'get-it'. General and Professional liability policies seem appropriate as well as an inland marine policy to cover tools, computers, etc, but I'd appreciate other's perspectives on the topic.

I'm about to make a change with the home and auto policies as well, and it would be great to work with a company that does it all but I'm not sold on that being a possibility, or at least not-frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

As freelancer getting a 1099, you'd need to provide to our HR dept:  copy of birth certificate, copy of FEIN or SSN, copy of passport or Real ID-compliant drivers license; certificate or binder of professional & general liability insurance of $2million, listing our firm as an additional, named insured; certificate of workers compensation insurance for you/your "entity of employment".  Some work may require non-compete and non-disclosure agreements as well.

Some projects or work may require a formal state or federal background check; a freelancer would be expected to fully comply with any information requests or releases to state or federal agencies.  Generally we pay any fees charged for the investigations themselves but the freelancer takes care of his/her own photocopies or costs of document submission.

Hope this helps.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:04:48 PM »

Regarding the workers comp:

As a business owner, I'm not required to carry coverage for myself, and I don't. Wolud that present an issue to you if you were hiring me freelance?

As freelancer getting a 1099, you'd need to provide to our HR dept:  copy of birth certificate, copy of FEIN or SSN, copy of passport or Real ID-compliant drivers license; certificate or binder of professional & general liability insurance of $2million, listing our firm as an additional, named insured; certificate of workers compensation insurance for you/your "entity of employment".  Some work may require non-compete and non-disclosure agreements as well.

Some projects or work may require a formal state or federal background check; a freelancer would be expected to fully comply with any information requests or releases to state or federal agencies.  Generally we pay any fees charged for the investigations themselves but the freelancer takes care of his/her own photocopies or costs of document submission.

Hope this helps.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 07:22:49 PM »

Regarding the workers comp:

As a business owner, I'm not required to carry coverage for myself, and I don't. Wolud that present an issue to you if you were hiring me freelance?

Absolutely.  You're still a subcontractor to me regardless of your relationship to your company.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris BT Davis

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:02:00 PM »

Absolutely.  You're still a subcontractor to me regardless of your relationship to your company.
As I've understood it, in my home state of VA at least, is that there is no legal obligation to carry workers comp as an owner/partner/member with no employees. However, that does place a financial burden on whomever hires you to pay workers comp on all or a portion of your invoice (depending on how you invoice). This could certainly encourage a contractor to choose subs with the coverage vs those without, or to account for the additional cost when making the deal.

I would not be surprised to hear that different states are different on this...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 09:49:29 PM »

As I've understood it, in my home state of VA at least, is that there is no legal obligation to carry workers comp as an owner/partner/member with no employees. However, that does place a financial burden on whomever hires you to pay workers comp on all or a portion of your invoice (depending on how you invoice). This could certainly encourage a contractor to choose subs with the coverage vs those without, or to account for the additional cost when making the deal.

Yes, the laws differ greatly between the states in the USA. While your state law might not require that you cover yourself for workers' compensation purposes, a business for whom you do work is perfectly free to require you to have coverage as a matter of contract. 
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 10:03:49 PM »

The difference is this:  If we subcontract Bad Quail LLC and Tim Hite gets injured, that's between him and Bad Quail LLC.  If we subcontract Tim Hite, and he gets injured, he needs his own worker's compensation insurance or we become responsible for his injuries.  We and our insurers do not want that and we require the same liability coverage and proof of worker's comp from subcontracted companies as well as individuals.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 01:44:58 AM »

Note to self: Don't work as a freelancer with Tim's company.   :'(
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:26:37 AM »

Note to self: Don't work as a freelancer with Tim's company.   :'(

Yep, those requirements are significantly more onerous than what I’ve ever run into.  That’s not to say Tim's company doesn’t have legit reasons for asking for this and it’s their perogitive to do so.

I work in MN and am self employed under my own LLC.  Clients contract with the LLC entity.  I carry insurance that covers liability and my business property - mostly computers and various tools.  I’ve only had clients ever ask for a W9 and insurance certificate naming them as insured.  As business owner I’m not required to carry worker’s comp, or pay unemployment insurance.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »

Yep, those requirements are significantly more onerous than what I’ve ever run into.  That’s not to say Tim's company doesn’t have legit reasons for asking for this and it’s their perogitive to do so.

I work in MN and am self employed under my own LLC.  Clients contract with the LLC entity.  I carry insurance that covers liability and my business property - mostly computers and various tools.  I’ve only had clients ever ask for a W9 and insurance certificate naming them as insured.  As business owner I’m not required to carry worker’s comp, or pay unemployment insurance.

Y'all are missing the point - if I take you, INDIVIDUALLY, as contracted help, your relationship with your own company is moot.  If I contract with your company, your ownership relationship to your firm, vis a vis insurance, is not my problem.  You'll still need to prove all your workers on my job site are covered by worker's comp and liability insurance.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.