ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rigging EV X-array  (Read 2273 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Rigging EV X-array
« on: January 29, 2019, 09:49:40 PM »

Having trasitioned from Contractor for school districts to Employed by school district, I have made peace with working with the cheapest possible sound equipment.
Therefore I was surprised when an Athletics staffer came up with couple of EV X-Array 3-ways (weighing 250 lbs each), plus a couple of EV FRI 12" 2-ways for fills, with the request that the Audio/Video staff rig these.
I could forgive him for going cheap by getting a cheaper processor than those called for in the manual.
I could forgive him for going with cheap with 4-way I-nuke amps and a wallr rack that doesn't open in the back.
I could NOT abide the rigging rings atop the big speakers. Note that these are single-action release, i.e. it does not require two separate actions to release the ring.
He seems to know a lot about sound and installs, but had a tight budget.
He said that he could not afford ATM flyware, and found these beauties for $5 each. Four of them, two per speaker. In the rafters, directly over the scorer's table.

I told my boss I'm not going to put my name on this without upgrading the track rings.
Boss said he didn't want A/V staff doing this kind of work anyways; that's what contractors are for.

But please, tell me, Would you use this rigging piece on a 250lb gym speaker?
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Rigging EV X-array
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 01:59:25 AM »

Only if it meets mfgr published specs for rigging that box, is designed for this purpose, carries appropriate markings vis-a-vis load rating, and comes from a reputable mfgr via a reputable supply chain.

It looks weaker than my rock climbing rap rings.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 04:22:30 AM »

I could NOT abide the rigging rings atop the big speakers. Note that these are single-action release, i.e. it does not require two separate actions to release the ring.
He said that he could not afford ATM flyware, and found these beauties for $5 each. Four of them, two per speaker. In the rafters, directly over the scorer's table.

And as we all are aware, cheaping out on overhead rigging hardware is a quick way to a Darwin award.  Most of the double stud fittings like that may have a WLL, but are not rated for overhead lifting as there is no way for the fitting to swivel.  The swivel is important as an oblique force (like, maybe an errant basketball...?) can put an improper load on the fitting/speaker that it's not designed to handle.

Ideally, there's a bolt point somewhere on that L-track that can be removed, and a forged eye bolt could be installed in place. 

If not, you need a fitting like the ATM TK-200-SW1.  But of course they're not $5.

Ask him if he can't afford the proper rated hardware for overhead lifting, could he afford the lawsuit that would follow if they fell instead?

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:07:38 AM »

And as we all are aware, cheaping out on overhead rigging hardware is a quick way to a Darwin award.  Most of the double stud fittings like that may have a WLL, but are not rated for overhead lifting as there is no way for the fitting to swivel.  The swivel is important as an oblique force (like, maybe an errant basketball...?) can put an improper load on the fitting/speaker that it's not designed to handle.

The ring need not swivel, as the plan is to use a scissor-lift to get the speakers to height, then hang them from forged eye-bolts in doubled-up UniStrut. The non-swiveling version by ATM sells a little over $41 each, according to quick price search.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:58:32 AM »

The ring need not swivel, as the plan is to use a scissor-lift to get the speakers to height, then hang them from forged eye-bolts in doubled-up UniStrut. The non-swiveling version by ATM sells a little over $41 each, according to quick price search.

I don’t remember where I got them (Amazon maybe), but I use rings that look similar on my EV QRX212s. Mine have safety clips that prevent disconnect and were rated at 400lb WL. I know they didn’t cost $40 each but sure were more than $5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Robert Healey

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »

Having trasitioned from Contractor for school districts to Employed by school district, I have made peace with working with the cheapest possible sound equipment.
Therefore I was surprised when an Athletics staffer came up with couple of EV X-Array 3-ways (weighing 250 lbs each), plus a couple of EV FRI 12" 2-ways for fills, with the request that the Audio/Video staff rig these.
I could forgive him for going cheap by getting a cheaper processor than those called for in the manual.
I could forgive him for going with cheap with 4-way I-nuke amps and a wallr rack that doesn't open in the back.

I told my boss I'm not going to put my name on this without upgrading the track rings.
Boss said he didn't want A/V staff doing this kind of work anyways; that's what contractors are for.

That looks like the Xi-series flying hardware (X-Array install) which is different than the touring X-array hardware. Here is the original rigging manual:

http://www.texim.it/docs/electrovoice/diffusori/serie-xi/xi-1152a64f/usermanual/xi-user-and-flying-manual-82405142.pdf

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.