ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Benchmarks: Crafting Our Ears  (Read 52 times)

M. Erik Matlock

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Editor Live Sound International/ProSoundWeb
    • ErikMatlock.com
Audio Benchmarks: Crafting Our Ears
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:17:09 pm »

Audio Benchmarks: Crafting Our Ears
Is an audio engineer any less of a craftsman than a carpenter?
By Nicholas Springer • January 29, 2019

Recently I’ve been quite obsessed with an old PBS show called The New Yankee Workshop…

Maybe you’ve seen it, the show where master carpenter Norm Abram builds these beautiful home furnishings based on classic American craftsmen designs. If you haven’t seen it, check it out on You Tube, his thick New England accent alone is enough to entertain you for a few hours.

But what does that have to do with your ears?
Now I know you are reading this because you are interested in audio engineering, so why am I talking about a carpenter? Well, the way I see it, a sound engineering technician or audio engineer is no less a craftsman than a carpenter.

While our tools and skill sets differ greatly (unless you happen to be an engineer at a certain studio in Rockville, MD….but that’s another story), mastery over both crafts is achieved through the same tried and true methods of apprenticeship, trial and error, and study of other respected works...

Continue reading here: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/recording/audio-benchmarks-crafting-our-ears/
This space for rent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 17 queries.