Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > H.O.W. AV

Need options for overlaying lyrics on video for overflow room

<< < (2/3) > >>

Corey Scogin:
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions and for explaining these things to a video newb. I'm beginning to understand some of the terminology and what to look for. I have some reading to do to better understand exactly how to implement this but I think something like one of the Blackmagic ATEM units that Erik suggested should fit my needs nicely. Rack mount is a bonus.

Off to read some manuals.

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Corey Scogin on January 29, 2019, 11:20:02 PM ---Thanks to both of you for the suggestions and for explaining these things to a video newb. I'm beginning to understand some of the terminology and what to look for. I have some reading to do to better understand exactly how to implement this but I think something like one of the Blackmagic ATEM units that Erik suggested should fit my needs nicely. Rack mount is a bonus.

Off to read some manuals.

--- End quote ---

It sounds like you're looking for a set-it-and-forget-it sort of system which is why I think something like an ATEM would be better than V-1HD or other similar video switcher with control surface.  I've actually thought about picking up a used ATEM cheap to do something similar in my home theater where I want to key in data over the top of a video feed.  I would actually use luma keying for it just like I suggested you do.  Only big reason I haven't done anything with it is I haven't had time to write the software for providing the key data yet.

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Corey Scogin on January 29, 2019, 11:20:02 PM ---Thanks to both of you for the suggestions and for explaining these things to a video newb. I'm beginning to understand some of the terminology and what to look for. I have some reading to do to better understand exactly how to implement this but I think something like one of the Blackmagic ATEM units that Erik suggested should fit my needs nicely. Rack mount is a bonus.

Off to read some manuals.

--- End quote ---

I would recommend a BMD solution as well.  Maybe the TV Studio [2/3 rack space] or even an older version of the TV studio [although those tend to run hot so maybe not].  I can't think of any more economical solution.

The one thing to remember with basically All the BMD ATEM stuff is that all the inputs have to be at the same resolution and frame rate.  If your camera and your PP computer are not set to the same resolution, one or the other will need conversion before it hits the ATEM.  The Decimator converters are the flavor of the week, but the BMD ones work fine too.

Taylor Hall:

--- Quote from: brian maddox on January 30, 2019, 01:44:58 PM ---I would recommend a BMD solution as well.  Maybe the TV Studio [2/3 rack space] or even an older version of the TV studio [although those tend to run hot so maybe not].  I can't think of any more economical solution.

The one thing to remember with basically All the BMD ATEM stuff is that all the inputs have to be at the same resolution and frame rate.  If your camera and your PP computer are not set to the same resolution, one or the other will need conversion before it hits the ATEM.  The Decimator converters are the flavor of the week, but the BMD ones work fine too.

--- End quote ---
The newer ATEM models have scalers on the inputs and outputs, so that's less of a concern. We were able to seamlessly project multiple 4:3 and 16:9 sources without skipping a beat, though the Roland we settled on does that as well. Didn't screw with framerates at all, but we had a few decimators in our inventory already so we weren't worried.

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Taylor Hall on January 30, 2019, 02:52:39 PM ---The newer ATEM models have scalers on the inputs and outputs, so that's less of a concern. We were able to seamlessly project multiple 4:3 and 16:9 sources without skipping a beat, though the Roland we settled on does that as well. Didn't screw with framerates at all, but we had a few decimators in our inventory already so we weren't worried.

--- End quote ---

This is new news, at least to me. Interesting and VERY useful addition to the feature set.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version