ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Band Setup - Sending full mix to restaurant speakers?  (Read 3313 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Small Band Setup - Sending full mix to restaurant speakers?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 02:28:04 PM »

That makes sense, Thanks.  I could make that happen in my studio but don't have that gear for the field.  Crap, this may suck a little worse than I thought it might.

You will want to high pass and limit, you want to assume they don't have an adequate high pass on their system.
Their system could be a grease covered old Bogen amp back in the kitchen or a fancy DSP controlled matrix zone system.

Go check it out ahead of time to see what kind of and where the inputs are located. When I say what kind I mean the connector type, balanced or unbalanced, mic or line level.
Chances are no one there will have a clue.

What extra parts and pieces of equipment do you have laying around?
An old analog crossover could be used for a high pass filter, some EQ's also had/have a variable high pass filter on them.
A very basic DSP would do it all.

You will also want transformer isolation on the audio line between
your system and theirs.
A passive direct box could be used in reverse to get you into an unbalance input and that would give the isolation at the same time.

An inline XLR barrel pad of something around 30db maybe needed if their input your dealing with is mic level.

Let me add, don't worry about micing the drums, an overhead mic will be all you need at the most.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:37:16 PM by Mike Caldwell »

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 02:29:47 PM »

I think somebody said that in an earlier post, not sure who though
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »

OMG, I may just cancel this gig.... :-\

Seriously, the  manager their says bands "do it all the time" and I'm quite certain none of them have any more advanced gear or knowledge than we do.  We may just plug in and hope for the best...

Something like an art DTI is inexpensive and solves all sorts of problems. Good to have in your kit anyways.

Travis_Valois

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 02:34:46 PM »

If they're set on  sending
 A mix to their system  I'd put a pretty aggressive high pass filter & limiting on that send
+1

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 02:36:20 PM »

I think somebody said that in an earlier post, not sure who though

I was more or less quoting what he replied to your post with to reinforce what you said and throw out some other ideas.

Nathan Morefield

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »

Alternative choice: use a single "room mic" and send only that to the inside. Should work just as well as a live recording on a phone. Place it where it will pickup the PA as well as the over-all stage sound.

This may work.  And the price is right too!  :)

Scott Slater

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 08:48:54 AM »

When using an aux mix set it to POST fader.  That way the aux mix will follow your main mix without you having to manage to the aux mix nearly as much throughout the night.

David Smeaton

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 09:03:11 AM »

I would agree that a single overhead on the drums will be more than enough.  With the band I play in, we vary rarely ever mic the drums as we play at volumes that don't need it.  However, I have a single overhead (a cheap Rode NT-3) for my in ears and it works really well. 

Nathan Morefield

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »

I would agree that a single overhead on the drums will be more than enough.  With the band I play in, we vary rarely ever mic the drums as we play at volumes that don't need it.  However, I have a single overhead (a cheap Rode NT-3) for my in ears and it works really well.

I actually have a NT3 which I might use for this application.  That's a good suggestion. 

Again, we won't be putting drums through our PA just sending it off to be piped into the restaurant.  It's going to be background music for about 500 drunk St. Patrick's party goers so it certainly doesn't have to be a perfect mix.  Maybe just enough to motivate them to come out onto the patio to party with us.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.