ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 12ga wire for Powercon True 1  (Read 5407 times)

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
Re: 12ga wire for Powercon True 1
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 07:36:07 PM »

Hi Folks,

FYI

Just noticed that the original True 1 connectors are being phased out, with the
True 1 TOP outdoor rated version taking their place.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »

Ratings and diameters are the same for both.

True1 TOP:
UL 498 / CSA C22.2 No. 182.3
250 V ac / 20 A
SJTOW, SJOOW 3 x 12 AWG
White chuck 6.0 - 12.0 mm

True1:
UL 498 / CSA C22.2 No. 182.3
250 V ac / 20 A
SJTOW, SJOOW 3 x 12 AWG
White chuck 6.0 - 12.0 mm
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

jason misterka

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 07:58:20 PM »

Hi Folks,

FYI

Just noticed that the original True 1 connectors are being phased out, with the
True 1 TOP outdoor rated version taking their place.

Thanks and good health, Weogog

Do these mate with regular True 1?  If not, YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME.

Sorry to yell at the messanger.

Jason

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 09:41:30 PM »

Super successful with SJOOW 12/3. I Take the connector apart and get rid of the white strain relief and terminal assembly. Put the connector back together enough to not lock the clip ring. Sprinkle my cable generously with Gold Bond powder. Push and twist. They slide on with no issue. Then take the locking assembly off and install per usual.

SOOW... good luck doing it without removing some part of the yellow boot.

In terms of code... I've only ever heard that SJ isn't code from other techs. I was led to believe after asking a cable supplier that that info was myth. SJ  is good up to 300 volts and is equally oil resistant and heat resistant.

I suggest you read NEC 520 and 525 and their references to 400.  "Junior hard service" cable has the "J", "Hard service" does not have the J.  My understanding that the primary concern of the Code authors is the physically robust construction of Extra Hard Usage cordage better suits it to use on stages, on the ground, etc. where it will be subject to abrasion, foot traffic and various other hazards.

SJxxx is permitted to be used in certain assemblies (fan-outs from multi pin connectors, and 2-fers, mostly) because they are typically used on battens or trusses and less subject to physical abuse.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 11:07:50 PM »

I suggest you read NEC 520 and 525 and their references to 400.  "Junior hard service" cable has the "J", "Hard service" does not have the J.  My understanding that the primary concern of the Code authors is the physically robust construction of Extra Hard Usage cordage better suits it to use on stages, on the ground, etc. where it will be subject to abrasion, foot traffic and various other hazards.

SJxxx is permitted to be used in certain assemblies (fan-outs from multi pin connectors, and 2-fers, mostly) because they are typically used on battens or trusses and less subject to physical abuse.

In Canada, and specifically in the province of Ontario SJ cable is used often for general purpose AC cable on the ground. And it holds up very well. It's not like we're replacing SJ cables after a few gigs or even a few years. Any location where physical damage could occur (running near a door for example or in a high traffic area) should be protected by some other means.

I don't mean to contradict the NEC and if adopted it should be followed in that jurisdiction. My experience with SJ is that it's robust enough to stand up to the day to day usage that we require of it as audio providers.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 02:12:56 AM »

In Canada, and specifically in the province of Ontario SJ cable is used often for general purpose AC cable on the ground. And it holds up very well. It's not like we're replacing SJ cables after a few gigs or even a few years. Any location where physical damage could occur (running near a door for example or in a high traffic area) should be protected by some other means.

I don't mean to contradict the NEC and if adopted it should be followed in that jurisdiction. My experience with SJ is that it's robust enough to stand up to the day to day usage that we require of it as audio providers.

This came up on the Power forum a couple years ago. The CEC is similar to the NEC, but the wording on SJ vs. S in theatres is much less restrictive. In Canada it's something along the lines that you basically only need S if you think a forklift might drive over it, and SJ is okay everywhere else. Definitely not what the NEC says...

-Russ

Bryan Hargrave

• I'm one jammin' dude.
    • Soundworks of VA, Inc
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 10:43:50 AM »

Tim,

Thanks for the reference. It's always nice to have an actual piece of info instead of conflicting hearsay.

Like us on facebook at Soundworks of VA, Inc.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »

Thanks for the reference. It's always nice to have an actual piece of info instead of conflicting hearsay.

For the Canadians following this, this is what the (22nd edition, which is all I have in front of me, although it's a little out of date) CEC has to say on theatre cabling:

44-354 Flexible conductors for portable equipment
Conductors for arc lamps, bunches, or other portable equipment shall be flexible cord types suitable for extra-hard usage, [...] but for separate miscellaneous portable devices operated under conditions where the conductors are not exposed to severe mechanical injury, flexible cord types suitable for other than hard usage [...] shall be permitted to be used.

Heck, looks like we can use lamp cord up here...

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 03:24:54 PM »

For the Canadians following this, this is what the (22nd edition, which is all I have in front of me, although it's a little out of date) CEC has to say on theatre cabling:

Heck, looks like we can use lamp cord up here...

-Russ

You can.  I've worked with set pieces with lights, built in Canada, that were wired with #16 vinyl lamp cord to stage pin connector.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 11:50:58 AM »

Here's the method I've used:
https://youtu.be/jPwZQwTk6Eo
Colorado Springs, CO

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 11:50:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.