ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Freelancer Insurance  (Read 3867 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Freelancer Insurance
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »

I should have clarified that.

As a sole proprietor, if you contract with Bad Quail for my services are you wanting to see workers comp on me from Bad Quail?

Absolutely.  You're still a subcontractor to me regardless of your relationship to your company.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 01:29:34 PM »

I should have clarified that.

As a sole proprietor, if you contract with Bad Quail for my services are you wanting to see workers comp on me from Bad Quail?

If you are not exclusively performing the services of a company owner under our contract, then yes you must be covered by worker's comp.

Here's another thing you all may have missed as owners - do you have YOUR job application on file?  No?  All operators of motor vehicles used in commerce must have a job application and other employment paperwork on file and available to a state or USDOT auditor.  This includes owners.  This is a Federal requirement.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 03:37:36 PM »

If you are not exclusively performing the services of a company owner under our contract, then yes you must be covered by worker's comp.

Here's another thing you all may have missed as owners - do you have YOUR job application on file?  No?  All operators of motor vehicles used in commerce must have a job application and other employment paperwork on file and available to a state or USDOT auditor.  This includes owners.  This is a Federal requirement.

The DOT stuff is why I specifically do not operate any motor vehicle used in commerce.  Nope, I can’t drive your truck.  Full stop.

JohnCoxNC

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »

Y'all are missing the point - if I take you, INDIVIDUALLY, as contracted help, your relationship with your own company is moot.  If I contract with your company, your ownership relationship to your firm, vis a vis insurance, is not my problem.  You'll still need to prove all your workers on my job site are covered by worker's comp and liability insurance.

This is an important distinction.  I may be wrong, but my understanding is in NC, as a single member LLC, I can NOT purchase Workman’s Comp on myself.  I can spend a great deal of money on a Workman’s Comp policy - only to not be able to take advantage of it.  I have had a company I did some AV work with insist I (as an individual 1099 $15/hr freelancer) have insurance that covers them...in this particular case, not worth the time, expense or hassle for the modest reward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iLove Baptist Church Audio Team

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »

Y'all are missing the point - if I take you, INDIVIDUALLY, as contracted help, your relationship with your own company is moot.  If I contract with your company, your ownership relationship to your firm, vis a vis insurance, is not my problem.  You'll still need to prove all your workers on my job site are covered by worker's comp and liability insurance.

I’ll add this is more common than you might think amongst larger companies and government. 

The local gov I work for requires the same liability, proof of workers comp, background checks and, if you happen to drive equipment on our property via a vehicle we also require proof of commercial vehicle liability insurance.   Are you a small time operator?  Use your personal vehicle for work?  Fine we are still going to require proof of insurance and the limits we require are typically higher than most personal policies...  I admit that it can be onerous, and at times significantly increases our costs...  fun times. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 06:33:51 PM »

I’ll add this is more common than you might think amongst larger companies and government. 

The local gov I work for requires the same liability, proof of workers comp, background checks and, if you happen to drive equipment on our property via a vehicle we also require proof of commercial vehicle liability insurance.   Are you a small time operator?  Use your personal vehicle for work?  Fine we are still going to require proof of insurance and the limits we require are typically higher than most personal policies...  I admit that it can be onerous, and at times significantly increases our costs...  fun times. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe me, we didn't go to the extreme because we wanted more things for our compliance officer to be responsible for...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Hannah

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 05:33:46 PM »

As freelancer getting a 1099, you'd need to provide to our HR dept:  copy of birth certificate, copy of FEIN or SSN, copy of passport or Real ID-compliant drivers license; certificate or binder of professional & general liability insurance of $2million, listing our firm as an additional, named insured; certificate of workers compensation insurance for you/your "entity of employment".  Some work may require non-compete and non-disclosure agreements as well.

Some projects or work may require a formal state or federal background check; a freelancer would be expected to fully comply with any information requests or releases to state or federal agencies.  Generally we pay any fees charged for the investigations themselves but the freelancer takes care of his/her own photocopies or costs of document submission.

Hope this helps.

Tim,

I read this (and other responses) and my head spins.

I'm about to retirement after 23 years in the military so this topic is foreign to me.  Can you, or anyone reading this, recommend someone (individual or company) in the DC Metro area that I could sit down with and have a conversation on this topic?

Maryland Sound or Event Tech HR departments might be obvious choices if appropriate.

Thank you...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 05:33:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.