ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help deciding new tops (SRX vs KW vs ETX vs DSR)  (Read 12691 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Need help deciding new tops (SRX vs KW vs ETX vs DSR)
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2019, 06:56:28 AM »

https://www.rcf.it/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=f4866558-e48f-496f-a9f8-601f9ebb61f9&groupId=20195

NX45. Is that so different ?

The off-axis plots look better than the 4x6" cabinet linked further up.
If they're similar price and the aspect ratio of the cabinet (sightlines etc) doesn't factor in, I'd go for the NX45 for sure.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »

Looks about what you'd expect. The HF horn does a reasonable job above 1kHz, and then you get the wide horizontal and narrow vertical dispersion of a line of midbass drivers.

My only concern would be the vertical off-axis response. At only 10 degrees below the vertical axis, you've got response deviations of over 15dB!

Chris
Look at the horizontal coverage below, at, and just above acoustic crossover.  At some parts of the spectrum it's not much different than a conventional 2 way, and at others it's not what one is accustomed to.

My point is that horizontal coverage v frequency is NOT consistent and to listeners who think it is - you're hearing reflections.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 02:05:46 PM »

Having worked with every box the OP has suggested, I can say that the best all-around performing of them is the SRX. The QSC offerings are not quite there. The DSR is highly regarded but is due for an update. The EV ETX is not as robust as the other offerings and I have seen one go thermal and shut down after a short period of hard use. I own several of the RCF NX12SMA's and while it is not a typical powered speaker for mains, if the rest of the NX line is anywhere close to the same performance you will be happy. The RCF stuff is rather unique compared to other offerings in that they utilize lower crossover points for the horns for a majority of their products. The sound quality is good and they seem to perform truthfully to their respective specs.

The SRX 835 is pretty good at staying within its specs. It says it is 60* X 40* and it pretty much is for the stuff within the horns. It is definitely suited more for spaces that need narrower coverage or where you need greater than 90* of coverage per side and have 4 boxes.

I bought the SRX812's for my main PA system and couldn't be happier with the sound quality. The SRX line does have its downsides, but I still believe it is the box to beat. The Yamaha DZR is still really an unknown and time will tell how it really does. The only other speaker that has me interested is the RCF TT22Aii
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 02:05:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.