ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Synergy Line  (Read 12051 times)

David Allred

Re: Yorkville Synergy Line
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 08:13:01 PM »

I heard the first "round robin" session at NAMM last week that included the Yorkville Synergy system.  The one thing that bothered me was the way the Synergy sounded with the presenters hand held wireless mic.  None of the other systems sounded that way with the vocal mic.  I'm not sure what was happening, but something just wasn't right.  I have heard Danley demos and the mics always sounded very natural.  The Yorkville were pretty "seamless" horizontally, and the music selections sounded acceptable thru the system. 

Just a general impression about the demo:  The music showed some strong points (and maybe some weakness) of the various systems.  All were professional and very usable systems.  But again to me, the presenters hand held mic told me more about how "natural" (or maybe neutral) the systems sounded.  I thought the systems that sounded best with the presenters mic also sounded the best with the music in general, and especially music that had a strong vocal content.  Maybe what I heard was how the presenters mic was equalized (and I'm assuming it was not changed for each specific system), but overall the systems I liked the most overall (and there were several) were the ones that sounded the most natural with the presenters mic.

Same presenter for all, or did Yorkville have their own presentor?  Maybe just an odd sounding voice?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 11:11:17 PM »

Same presenter for all.  He introduced each system and played a music selection (same music selection for every system) for about a minute on each system.  He then redirected our attention to the first system and a differed music selection was played on each system (again the same music on every system).  This happened a third time with a third music selection played on each system.  SPL was displayed on video monitors in both A and C scale measured from a central mic.  Each system was at the same level with the same music for the "round robin".  The attempt was to have an even playing field.  The presenter talked briefly each time so I was able to listen to the same presenter using the same mic set at the same level on each system three times.  The manufacturers had been allowed to EQ their systems as they desired before the demo began.  A burst of pink noise was also presented thru each system.  I thought it was a very good demo fairly done.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 01:05:28 AM »

The Yorkville cabs sounded like there was some delay going on when the mic was used. I asked the Yorkville guys there about it and they said the only processing was in the modules, but it sounded to me like one of the cabs might have been out of sync.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

David Allred

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 07:19:48 AM »

The Yorkville cabs sounded like there was some delay going on when the mic was used. I asked the Yorkville guys there about it and they said the only processing was in the modules, but it sounded to me like one of the cabs might have been out of sync.

Did they agree that something was off?

Richard Turner

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 10:21:56 PM »

Yorkville never really has made a flat sounding system. LS801p was great at the time but really only made one tone. The paraline boxes. I'd rather listen to them than VRX928LAP rig

THere usually is a method to yorkvilles madness. the 3x15 puts the horn lens high enough  in the air for ground stack. A group of college kids listening to a DJ at the campus bar isn't going to care about even coverage. Buy 4 stacks for the bar at long mcquade and pay for an extra 5 years warranty program and you are covered for the entire life cycle save for someone putting the firehose to them.

Its flyable.

THink about how many JBL or EAW rigs that are still out there hanging in the air pushing close 20 years old.

If this had of been available when I was doing gym size DJ events it would have been very attractive
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 10:25:47 PM »

Yorkville never really has made a flat sounding system. LS801p was great at the time but really only made one tone. The paraline boxes. I'd rather listen to them than VRX928LAP rig

THere usually is a method to yorkvilles madness. the 3x15 puts the horn lens high enough  in the air for ground stack. A group of college kids listening to a DJ at the campus bar isn't going to care about even coverage. Buy 4 stacks for the bar at long mcquade and pay for an extra 5 years warranty program and you are covered for the entire life cycle save for someone putting the firehose to them.

Its flyable.

THink about how many JBL or EAW rigs that are still out there hanging in the air pushing close 20 years old.

If this had of been available when I was doing gym size DJ events it would have been very attractive

Exactly.

If someone were smart, they'd be pimping this for every frat house basement club room.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 02:36:02 AM »

Did they agree that something was off?

One of them suggested that being a point source there might be more splash off the ceiling in the arena than the line arrays were creating. I didn't notice it though when the TW Audio T20 right next to it was demo'ed.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »

Its flyable.

I measured the Ls801pb and they were flat within their bandpass. The 6 db down point was exactly as Yorkville stated at 45hz. In these photo you can see the sub set for loud and deep.  Deep gives a boost at 53hz.  I had the high cut set to 120hz at the time.  With a little eq I could get a respectable 6db down point of 38hz. (2nd photo)  I often wonder if in the designed market most just ran the sub too loud and thought it was boomy.

Douglas R. Allen

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 09:16:30 PM »

From a speaker designer point-of-view, I can see one glaring issue immediately: That really isn't enough port area to stay linear when the power levels go up.

My own subs have a port area that's around 1/3rd of the driver's cone area at the narrowest point of the port. Driven to 1KW (driver's continuous power rating), there was 2dB of compression. ie, what should've been 123dB came out as 121dB at the 40Hz tuning frequency.

It looks like the Yorkville subs have a port area that's a small fraction of the cone area, so I'd expect fairly large changes in the frequency response as the power levels increase.

Chris

I would like to point out that while the port area is small compared to the cone area, the total port area of the trio 15" box is not too small for 130 db @ 30 Hz. There are plenty of single 18" 130 db @ 30 Hz subs that have almost as much port area as this trio 15 box. So one can make the argument that this is not the most efficient design. So what if the woofers are not pushed to their theoretical limit? Ports and excursion are usually the LF constraint anyway. Like Ivan said, design trade off. Maybe they can use lower power woofers to save weight and cost. Box size is sort of determined by the top speaker footprint and listening height.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 04:14:57 AM »

I would like to point out that while the port area is small compared to the cone area, the total port area of the trio 15" box is not too small for 130 db @ 30 Hz.

Are you sure?
If I had to guess, I'd say the port area is about 45" x 2", which is less than double the port area I was using for a single 15", and getting 2dB of compression in the low-120dB range.

I do agree with the rest of your post - all designs are a compromise, after all.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 04:14:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.