ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Synergy Line  (Read 12053 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Yorkville Synergy Line
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 08:28:19 AM »

The spec sheet said it was 45 degrees VERTICAL and 22.5 deg HORIZONTAL. So you need 4 to make 90 degree coverage Horizontal.

Looks like a kick-butt big club rig, but I doubt it will supplant the millions of JBL SRX rigs that are already out there.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »

The spec sheet said it was 45 degrees VERTICAL and 22.5 deg HORIZONTAL. So you need 4 to make 90 degree coverage Horizontal.

Looks like a kick-butt big club rig, but I doubt it will supplant the millions of JBL SRX rigs that are already out there.....

They do say you can place them on their sides for 45 Horizontal / 22.5 vertical. 2 aside would get you 90 but not sure how the 22.5 vertical would work out as they are trap boxes and without scientific wooden blocks to aim them it could be interesting. Correctly strapped of course. About 2:50 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2KuBXPI0c

Douglas R. Allen

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »

I originally thought that too, but here's a pic showing the ~90* array. It's a bit of an awkward implementation, IMO.

My hope for Yorkville is that is designed to significantly outrun an SRX rig. But I agree that people are probably not going to be selling off their Pro-sumer level rigs to pick up this Synergy system.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 02:05:19 PM »

I don't think this is meant to be an SRX-killer.  This is another product for which Yorky's idea of market position isn't apparent or obvious... but being Canadian I'm guessing this would be ideal for a show staged at the end of a hockey arena after the game is over.

/kinda joking, kinda not
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »

But I agree that people are probably not going to be selling off their Pro-sumer level rigs to pick up this Synergy system.

I can say that at least I'm not.  Heck, I'm still trying to get a few more Unity boxes if I can find them!  Unless this system turns out to be a real dark horse I'd just jump straight up to a larger Danley/Fulcrum/RCF rig when the time comes to move beyond prosumer, but that's just me.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »

. but being Canadian I'm guessing this would be ideal for a show staged at the end of a hockey arena after the game is over.

/kinda joking, kinda not

As a frost bitten Canadian, I find this amusing 'cause it's kinda true ;D ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 07:06:15 AM »

From a speaker designer point-of-view, I can see one glaring issue immediately: That really isn't enough port area to stay linear when the power levels go up.

My own subs have a port area that's around 1/3rd of the driver's cone area at the narrowest point of the port. Driven to 1KW (driver's continuous power rating), there was 2dB of compression. ie, what should've been 123dB came out as 121dB at the 40Hz tuning frequency.

It looks like the Yorkville subs have a port area that's a small fraction of the cone area, so I'd expect fairly large changes in the frequency response as the power levels increase.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »

Yorkville has a new Synergy Line. Looks to be a solid replacement to the me too speaker on the stick type setup.  Danley designs incorporated in it.

http://yorkville.com/synergy/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=80&v=eE2KuBXPI0c

Douglas R. Allen

Since this is posted in the Lounge I will add my thoughts as a "small potatoes" sound company.
To me, the Synergy line is Yorkville's way to add another "active cab" to grab some sales in that very crowded market.

In watching the promo video the cabs can be used for club work and scaled to fit larger venues.

I have a large (relative to me) investment in Yorkville cabs/processors, mostly the TX series.

Output aside, in looking at the Synergy specs, the sub cabinet measures approximately the same height as my TX9's.  When I put my TX4's on top of my TX9's the horn of the mid/hi cabs are at the perfect height for club / local concert work.  My TX racks are pre-wired and an easy plug'n go set up.
I have not found a need to upgrade in my local niche.

Specs are specs and these new cabs are definitely a step-up from what I have but I cannot justify "side-grading" (which is what it would be to me) to these cabs.

...however, they do look sweet!     

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 03:21:07 PM »

From a speaker designer point-of-view, I can see one glaring issue immediately: That really isn't enough port area to stay linear when the power levels go up...

...It looks like the Yorkville subs have a port area that's a small fraction of the cone area, so I'd expect fairly large changes in the frequency response as the power levels increase.

Can you tell that much from just a picture? (Serious question, I'm not trolling).

The subs are a self-contained system with built-in power and processing and Yorkville specs a measured frequency response +/-3db down to 31hz so I'd assume that's inclusive of with whatever the cabinet's inherent limitations may be.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 05:14:03 PM »

Can you tell that much from just a picture? (Serious question, I'm not trolling).

The subs are a self-contained system with built-in power and processing and Yorkville specs a measured frequency response +/-3db down to 31hz so I'd assume that's inclusive of with whatever the cabinet's inherent limitations may be.
What he is talking about is the area of the port-NOT the response, or the processing etc.

I have not looked close enough, or know the tuning, but if the port is to small, then it will "choke off" at higher SPLs, causing the low end response to be not as low as it is at a nominal 2.83V drive level (which is where the response is measured at)

Nobody measures the response at full output. 

This not an uncommon problem.

Everything is a compromise.  As you make the port area large (so it won't choke off or chuff), the length MUST be longer.

So this makes the cabinet larger.

Sometimes a larger size is ok, other times not.  It just depends on what the goal is, or expected performance.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 05:14:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.