ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable Management  (Read 5838 times)

Christopher Irwin

• Los Angles/Orange County, California
Re: Cable Management
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 03:03:46 PM »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the smaller Audiopile M016A case yet.  While designed for mics, if you pull out the top foam piece it works perfectly to stack coiled mic cables in.  I have a case each for 10', 25', and 50' - they are small enough and light enough to grab and drop where needed on stage, but not too small to use with a standard sized coil (about a 1' square).  I can't say exactly how many cables fit, but probably (7) 50', (15) 25', and (20+) 10' cables per case, of course using velcro on each cable as well (I use colored velcro to differentiate different buildings I work in, but it can also be used for different sizes).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 03:14:30 PM »

Back when I was a guy with an Econoline FULL of PA I had 2 mic cable lengths, 30ft and something shorter (10-ish, IIRC).  It all fit in a salesman's catalog case.  Speaker, AC and misc cables, and an 8 channel subsnake to run to the "far side" of the stage got milk crates that were stacked and bungee-strapped to a hand truck for transport.

K&M 3 section tripod mic stands with booms fit 8 in a small duffle bag, so I had 2 and they packed over the driver side rear wheel well.  Wasn't much air space left in the van...

I also got good at replacing rear axle assemblies with the loaded van hoisted by the tow truck.  On the side of the road.  I mean I've only got 2500 lbs in a half ton van, what's up with this?  ??? ???  :-[
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 08:17:23 AM »

I also got good at replacing rear axle assemblies with the loaded van hoisted by the tow truck.  On the side of the road.  I mean I've only got 2500 lbs in a half ton van, what's up with this?  ??? ???  :-[
Ha !
Memories.
With my 1/2 Ton Chevyvan, I had to replace a rear wheel bearing at the side of the road.
I knew it was coming, i had the bearing and the tools with me. Called up a garage I used to work at, and had them send me a "jack".... (1-ton wrecker)
Nice to work standing up, and not hunched over........
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »

My problem is the standard IEC cables supplied buy most every manufacturer, especially when they're cold. They're like snakes mating! I'm thinking of making some now myself with SJOOW or are they available somewhere? All I can find so far are those silly and expensive "audiophile" female ends though.

I buy Webber locking IECs on Amazon, both loose connectors and decent prebuilts.

For some reason they sell this little cable cheaper than the loose plug.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G91ZBTI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My XLR cables all go in a Pelican. Mostly either 15' or 25', a handful shorter and longer. Color tagged at the male end.

This wire is decent. Not as flexible as I wish, but way better than any OEM cable I've seen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GVQDB3E/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 05:53:01 PM »

I'm a creepy white van guy and I also use totes.  I typically have 6 in the van.  Mic cables, speaker cables, power cables, FOH gear, stage gear, 50 ft power cables.  (There's also a larger tote holding my old snake.)

I used to buy the Home Depot/Lowes totes until they both switched to cheaper "equivalents" that are junk.  The only reliable models I've found (that don't require a commercial purchase order) are from Zoro.

https://www.zoro.com/quantum-storage-systems-attached-lid-container-167-cu-ft-gray-qdc2115-12/i/G4217717/

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 06:46:13 PM »

I find that having few sizes speeds up things. I used to have 3, 5, 10, 20, 30 and I noticed that too much time was spent choosing the optimal length. Reducing the stage cables to two lengths sped it up a lot.

Of course the mix position kit has some shorter ones for patching things as well as long ones for active speakers sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 07:07:14 PM »

A couple of years ago, I standardized my xlr cables.  Aside for various short patch cables, I went with 15, 30, and 60 foot.  I made them myself using neutrik  xx series and used a different color coding ring for each length.  Also after a combination of downsizing and moving to two space amps, I found myself with a number of extra 8 space amp rack.  I converted them into cable cases by mounting a caster board to one of the lids and hinging the other.  They are about the prefect size for me, not too big and, except for the AC case, not to heavy.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 09:40:29 AM »

I don't believe it's been mentioned yet in this thread, and maybe it's a given, but:

Another detail of my cable management that's paying off is mentoring my band mates and stage crew on over-under and figure-8 cable coiling/stowing.  Especially over-under coiling per getting the coils relatively the same diameter.  A few weeks ago while I was delivering one of my band mate's personal gear to their house after a show... it warmed my heart to notice my band mate's garden hose was figure-8 stowed.

Another:  Minimizing patches and the stowing of cables per application when practical.  1)  If a cable can be sensibly left plugged in, leave it plugged in.  Example:  The mixer we commonly use, we utilize a smartphone to play some break tunes... so I rigged up the smartphone patch cable so the mixer side of the cable stays plugged in and nicely stowed with the mixer.  2)  We typically use a pair of SRX-712M's for mid-highs, which require a couple 5ft. Speakon cables to patch from their associated subs.  The cases we use for our 712's have space in the case to stow those short Speakons with the speakers, so that's where those cables are kept.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:43:43 AM by W. Mark Hellinger »

Mal Brown

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 11:32:47 AM »

I'm a creepy white van guy and I also use totes.  I typically have 6 in the van.  Mic cables, speaker cables, power cables, FOH gear, stage gear, 50 ft power cables.  (There's also a larger tote holding my old snake.)

I used to buy the Home Depot/Lowes totes until they both switched to cheaper "equivalents" that are junk.  The only reliable models I've found (that don't require a commercial purchase order) are from Zoro.

https://www.zoro.com/quantum-storage-systems-attached-lid-container-167-cu-ft-gray-qdc2115-12/i/G4217717/

I have  of those on the truck for various NEC plus cables.  1 for longs and drop snakes, 1 for shorts, 1 for DMX and various lighting Gizmodia, 1 has a couple o small movers in it while I figure out transport options for lighting fixtures, 1 for quad boxes, and so on...

I stack them de by side3 or 4 tall on  a pallet I cut down to depth belt strap over the stack to the pallet snug and then a couple of strategic buggies to the wall of the truck.

Those AudioPile cases look nice but each represents a lighting fixture or two... not this year
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 11:32:47 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.