ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable Management  (Read 5831 times)

Dustin Campbell

Cable Management
« on: January 25, 2019, 07:18:20 PM »

Hello All,
Wish I was at Namm but I have been wrestling with cable management issues, differentiating lenths, separating power, I have been using egg crates and would like to switch t something else- basically I want to fully audit and organize and change the paradigm of my cable system or lack there of.  Any ideas welcome show pics too please of your cable storage -This is for live band sound-- Thanks All
Banning CA,

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Cable Management
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 09:57:49 PM »

I typically carry cables using the Audio Pile medium trunk.  This trunk is sized perfectly so that you can stack 4 rectangle milk crates inside, making it very easy to organize.  If you've got the ability to put your stuff in a case like this and transport it, it works great.

https://www.audiopile.net/C006DC

As far as keeping track of and organizing cables, having less lengths is a good thing.

My cables are 3 lengths.  5 feet, 10 feet and 25 feet.  If I need longer lengths, I can always daisy chain the cables to get the job done.  Keeping it to only 3 lengths makes it much easier to keep track of things.  Yes, different lengths may be more convenient and result in less coils on the floor, but at the end of the day, not having to keep track of different cables is quite a bit easier.  I look back when I had many cables in varying lengths and wonder how I stayed sane.

Depending on the size of the show, I'll either bring 1 trunk of cables or 2.  Using the crates, I can separate speaker, power, and mic cables.  When I bring 2 trunks, each length of cable can get it's own crate.  I have crates that are color coded as well, so I can very easily see the length of cable by crate color.  If I pare down to one, then the crates are sorted by cable type. It's pretty easy to tell the cables apart just by looking at them, but they are also color coded for their lengths as well. 

When loading for the show, I have a trunk inventory sheet that I fill out that has the quantity of each cable that's supposed to be in the trunk. The sheet is taped to the inside of the lid.That way, I can do a quick count to make sure I've gotten everything back where it belongs at the end of the night.
Brian Jojade

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »

My setup (small time guy)

NEMA 5-15 (12/3 SO): 12.5', 25', 50', 100'
powerCon (12/3 SO): 5.5', 12.5', 25'
XLR: 15', 25', 50', 100'; 5' and 10' patch lengths
DMX/data:  3', 5', 15', 25', 50', 100'

50' and 100' are rarely used

Audiopile D006 cases
Audiopile M040 and M 28-040 cases

The Audiopile M series can be hauled in many cars.

XLR and DMX cables are always in separate cases.  My XLR cables have silver ends and green rings; DMX/data have black ends and white/cream rings.  Green rings or green tape quickly identify things as mine.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Lyle Williams

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 01:22:04 AM »

I sort types and lengths and put them into thrift-shop pillowcases.

The pillowcases are in every colour and pattern.  They also have the type/length written on them in 6" high letters.

The pillowcases stop cables from tangling into a big mess.

Many pillowcases get thrown into a trunk.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 05:57:37 AM »

Hello All,
Wish I was at Namm but I have been wrestling with cable management issues, differentiating lenths, separating power, I have been using egg crates and would like to switch t something else- basically I want to fully audit and organize and change the paradigm of my cable system or lack there of.  Any ideas welcome show pics too please of your cable storage -This is for live band sound-- Thanks All

For my smaller systems I use tool bags - came out of the milk crate era as well.  Depending upon the size of the setup, one bag for the mic/line audio signal cables, one for power cables and one for speaker cables.  Sometimes I combine speaker and power cables.  They work well - much preferred over milk crates for smaller setups.

Another thing I started doing, instead of wrapping a cable around itself is to use the Velcro straps - one on each cable - keeps things nice and tidy in the bags.  I actually use the Velcro cable straps in my shop as well now - for all power cables and air hoses, etc.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 03:15:10 PM »

I've been using storage bins for years, various manufacturers. Lately I've really been liking the Rubbermaid Brute ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HTGD36/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the 14-gallon fits a small-stage setup's worth of XLR's, another one carries all my power distro gear.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 04:03:05 PM »

I use bins like these in a couple different sizes for speakon and power cables. Fine for local regional use.

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-QDC2115-12-Storage-Container-Attached/dp/B0019UXN0E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548536335&sr=8-4&keywords=akro+mills+tote

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 04:22:26 PM »

The other thing I do is maximze the use of subsnakes, which lets me use fewer and shorter individual cables.  Since you know your band's needs, that lets you pare things down even more, compared to a provider who has to be ready for all sorts of contingencies.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 08:09:02 AM »

My problem is the standard IEC cables supplied buy most every manufacturer, especially when they're cold. They're like snakes mating! I'm thinking of making some now myself with SJOOW or are they available somewhere? All I can find so far are those silly and expensive "audiophile" female ends though.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:18:47 AM by Dave Scarlett »

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 10:06:38 AM »

My problem is the standard IEC cables supplied buy most every manufacturer, especially when they're cold. They're like snakes mating! I'm thinking of making some now myself with SJOOW or are they available somewhere? All I can find so far are those silly and expensive "audiophile" female ends though.
Dave, the longer tripplite iec cables are fairly flexible. I have used both iec/Edison and iec/iec. Some are loomed with dmx for up lights and lay out and coil fine.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 10:06:38 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.