Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Product Reviews

Powersoft T-series

<< < (8/9) > >>

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on May 05, 2020, 03:19:57 PM ---Thanks for the interest!

I'm not sure I do have a build thread anywhere, but I'm happy to give some details. Here's a shot from a gig:

It's a Faital Pro 10HX230. Ported box, tuned to 70Hz. Low enough for a bit of "punch" in smaller venues if the low end is EQ'd into shape.
During testing, I put one on the T602 (not bridged) and gave the speaker some pain. It put up 125dB continuous sine tones (sweep) above a couple of hundred Hz before it started showing any compression. Distortion was pretty high, but hey, it was a 70v RMS sine tone - a little over 600w into the nominal 8ohm impedance (and we all know it'll drop lower than 8ohm - power delivery probably approached 1KW in some regions).
The drivers are pretty easy to work with - I got the crossover done with just 4x components per cabinet, which was very pleasing.

I took them out for a gig just before the lockdown. Pair of these coaxials, 2x 15" subs, and a couple of monitors. The acts were genuine 1980s disco divas, featuring Artists You've Heard Of If You're Into That Sort Of Music. Lots of positive comments from the acts and organisers about the sound from the main PA - they often came out into the audience to put on more of a show, so I had to make sure my FOH mix was spot-on. Venue was good for a couple of hundred, and the sound was clean and clear throughout, even when I put the pedal down. I think we hit -3dB on the T604 that was running the mains, but since that's a short-term peak, it certainly didn't bother the drivers.

Very pleased with these little boxes. Planning on more of those drivers, or maybe the 8"s, for stage monitors when audio-life gets a bit more normal.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Really hard to tell, is that a King Air 350?

That sure looks like duct tape on the hangar floor, lol.

Nice design on the speakers.

Chris Grimshaw:
Good eye, Scott. I believe it is.
Yeah, it was a corporate gig and they wanted everything taped down as the guests would be walking around afterwards. Talking heads is a nice easy way to break in some new gear.

Chris

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on May 05, 2020, 05:24:23 PM ---Good eye, Scott. I believe it is.
Yeah, it was a corporate gig and they wanted everything taped down as the guests would be walking around afterwards. Talking heads is a nice easy way to break in some new gear.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Corporate gigs use to pay the bills, before that task was relegated to my savings.  Sorry, little bitter today the zoo just cancelled our annual gig all the way out in August, very hard to get my arms around.  This was our largest gig every year and a great way to finish summer.  It's not so much me, the our 30 member crew, plus the lighting guys, lot of folks look forward to this 2 day, 16 stage madhouse. 

Anyway, I am sure you know but duct tape leaves a mess on your cables and trashes the clients floor.  You should always have gaff tape with you.  I would have put a skirt on that stand for a corporate gig.  Something in a black pleated number :-)

You didn't answer the question, do you know was that a King Air 350?

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on May 05, 2020, 05:32:35 PM ---Sorry, little bitter today the zoo just cancelled our annual gig all the way out in August, very hard to get my arms around.  This was our largest gig every year and a great way to finish summer.  It's not so much me, the our 30 member crew, plus the lighting guys, lot of folks look forward to this 2 day, 16 stage madhouse. 

--- End quote ---

Bummer Scott, sorry to hear about that.  I know that's one of your flagship gigs too.  I'm still holding out hope for the Fourth of July - which is generally my biggest of the year - but I'm not optimistic.  Hopefully something will work out but I think the massive productions will be off the table for the foreseeable future...especially considering how much upfront work and cost can be involved with producing them. 

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on May 05, 2020, 09:50:33 PM ---Bummer Scott, sorry to hear about that.  I know that's one of your flagship gigs too.  I'm still holding out hope for the Fourth of July - which is generally my biggest of the year - but I'm not optimistic.  Hopefully something will work out but I think the massive productions will be off the table for the foreseeable future...especially considering how much upfront work and cost can be involved with producing them.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Jeff it is, and lots of fun.  small stages all throughout the zoo where the guests do a pub crawl from stage to stage.  We have two bands on main stage that alternate all night and by the last set all 6-8000 attendees are at mainstage and it is a ton of fun.  It is also a huge event for our zoo, and we love being part of it. 

I should be crying in a bunch of random posts, the parks department deciding to cancel all the summer events was just not a great way to start Monday....my apologies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version