ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Powersoft T-series  (Read 25841 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Powersoft T-series
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 09:12:25 PM »

Word on the street is that these are the same amps as the quatrocanalli and duecanalli amplifiers, with a few added control bits.  Odd those wouldn't be used in an install over the T series.

It's a good word, I was thinking the same thing. But their power specs are a little buffed compared to Quatrocanalli for 4ohm load. Could simply be new specs.

Now I'm considering going to the T series for an install.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 12:58:18 PM »

So I was just running the numbers.

T602 = $4k @6kw (need 2 minimum 2 mains 2 subs)
DNA20K4 = $8k @20kw (can power 2 mains & 4 subs)

So really the better bang for buck is the Danley/Linea amps still. But then you might be considering a the K series.

Guess I'm still saving for a DNA amp ;)

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »

Fair enough. The T-series is nice for small-to-medium sized systems. Might be worth asking a dealer about pricing for an X4 and/or an X8 - there's more grunt to be had there, and pricing might end up competitive with the Danley amp.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Taylor Hall

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »

But then you might be considering a the K series.
Yeah I think that's the point here. The T seems placed to be a happy in-between for people looking to downsize a rack of several heavy amps into a couple U but don't need a million watts of output. For what you're looking at the K and X series are more your speed, and probably priced similarly to the DNA amps.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »

Just a quick note to say that today I used the T602 to demo a prototype 2x18" cab (4ohm). The client had an amp that we tried, and turned it off again shortly after - it was clipping almost immediately. Theirs was one of these: https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/ADJ-American-Audio-VLP2500-Power-Amplifier/1MVK
I don't think it was putting out anywhere near the 1KW rating.

Got the T602 out, bridged it, and gave the cabinet some pain.

Sounded great, even when the bass dropped and held as a sine tone for a while, the amp just got on with it, even when registering -6dB of headroom, which is the Powersoft way of saying we got 6dB into clip.

Here's one of the test tracks we used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Po2746MdDY
Which is a lot of fun with something that's flat to below 40Hz.

So yes, I continue to be impressed. The client wanted a set of them, too.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 02:07:08 PM »

True, but manufacture presets. supporting the manufacture. etc. and Danley has the best price of the OEM brands.

Don't know why I am just seeing this but wanted to point out that some of the OEM'd Linea amps have manufacturer specific DSP.  Not just settings, different actual DSP than Linea standard amps.  That is one of the price differences for some that are more expensive than others.  Some OEM the entire amp while others have special DSP because the stock DSP cannot do what their speaker systems require.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »

Don't know why I am just seeing this but wanted to point out that some of the OEM'd Linea amps have manufacturer specific DSP.  Not just settings, different actual DSP than Linea standard amps.  That is one of the price differences for some that are more expensive than others.  Some OEM the entire amp while others have special DSP because the stock DSP cannot do what their speaker systems require.

Lee

True, I have come to see that now. db & Martin writes their own software IIRC.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2019, 11:45:32 AM »

Well, I've had a T304 for a while. I had originally planned on using one for stage monitors, but for now it's been acting as a stand-in for the T604 that's out for repairs.

The T304 is more of the same, really: clean, solid sound with all the benefits we've discussed previously. I haven't noticed an obvious lack of headroom that you might expect from the smaller amp - it's just got on with it and done the job, even when I was running on a too-small (provided by venue) generator and had to clamp the main current down as low as it'd go - 3A, and running on a squishy 207v.

I continue to be impressed by the amplifiers themselves. To say the servicing side needs work would be an understatement, but I'm assured that Powersoft are working hard to get things up to speed there.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2020, 06:08:13 AM »

Further updates.

I'd finished a new set of speakers earlier this year, and had been waiting on accessing a nice big outdoor space to do some testing. Since we're in lockdown, that's not an option any more. So, I took everything out to my back garden instead.

The speakers are a pair of compact FOH boxes, featuring a Faital Pro 10HX230 coaxial driver, in a medium-sized box tuned to 70Hz. I've rolled a passive crossover for them, since it's a fairly high crossover point (2kHz) and component losses are minimal. I also made a fairly meaty 12" sub to go with them. This setup will be used in smaller venues - rock 'n' roll with minimal drum kit micing, as an example.

Here's what I did:
- Set up the speakers in typical position (on stands etc), one channel per cabinet.
- Using REW, take some measurements. The 10HX230 is very well-behaved - the mid-high range follows the on-axis response, but drops smoothly as you get to 45-degrees off-axis.
- Imported the REW measurements into RePhase, which can be used to make FIR files. You can use a parametric EQ for both frequency and phase response, tell it how many taps you'd like it to use. The maximum allowed on each channel of the T-series amps is 2048, with the expected delay penalty.
- Once RePhase has made the FIR file, import into Armonia+.
- Re-measuring confirmed that the whole thing was working, and then I enjoyed some music.

At one point, I had essentially flat phase and frequency responses from 100Hz upwards, requiring all of the 2048 taps. It sounded the most "correct" I've ever heard a speaker sound, and I spent a while just sitting on the grass enjoying the experience. Background vocals in Fleetwood Mac's Dreams were the most clear I've known, nice sharp transients etc. There wasn't any hint that the amplifiers were operating "down in the noise", despite the power levels being a fraction of a watt most of the time.
Of course, the overall delay was unacceptable for live sound, so I settled for using the custom FIR processing to linearise >600Hz (2.2ms delay IIRC), and an IIR parametric filter to shape the low end and apply a protective highpass filter.

It took a little while to figure out the work-flow to save new speakers in Armonia+, but with that nailed down I can tell the amps which speakers they're connected to, and they organise themselves accordingly.

I'm planning on another T304 to fill the last space, but that'll be some time next year at the earliest. The virus has killed my calendar for this year, but I'm hopeful that things will pick up again.

In conclusion, I'm still pleased with them. They're excellent amplifiers in every way I can think of, and if the fans were a bit quieter they'd work well for HiFi or home-theatre purposes, too.

Here's the current rack:

Cheers, all.
Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »

Well, I've had a T304 for a while. I had originally planned on using one for stage monitors, but for now it's been acting as a stand-in for the T604 that's out for repairs.

The T304 is more of the same, really: clean, solid sound with all the benefits we've discussed previously. I haven't noticed an obvious lack of headroom that you might expect from the smaller amp - it's just got on with it and done the job, even when I was running on a too-small (provided by venue) generator and had to clamp the main current down as low as it'd go - 3A, and running on a squishy 207v.

I continue to be impressed by the amplifiers themselves. To say the servicing side needs work would be an understatement, but I'm assured that Powersoft are working hard to get things up to speed there.

Chris
So wait a minute here. What am I missing? You bought the T604 less than a year and a half ago and now it's out for repair?
Not certain this a good sign.
Tell us what went wrong please and maybe a little bit more clarity on "the servicing side needs work would be an understatement" comment.
Scott Hofmann

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.