Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Product Reviews

Powersoft T-series

<< < (3/9) > >>

Chris Grimshaw:

--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on January 25, 2019, 11:33:02 AM ---Thanks!

I bet @Mike Pyle could help all of us out ;)

These look really quite nice, good value.
I want Danley/Linea amps...but the price of these Powersoft T amps makes a lot of sense to replace my hodge-podge amp setup (rmx/crown/itech).

Step above the current best value (QSC PLD series).

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I think Mike probably will be able to help.

I had a quick look at these vs QSC PLD, and it's an interesting balance. The flexibility of combining output stages on the PLD amps is certainly neat, but the Powersoft amps are half the size and put out a little more power.
I haven't checked all the processing that the PLD amps have to offer, so can't really compare there. The Powersoft amps do have some nice features, though:

- 2048 taps for custom FIR processing
- Some control and monitoring via web server - connect the amps to a network, connect a device that'll run HTML5 web pages, and you can access some pre-selected controls, including EQs, muting, delays, levels. You also get monitoring in the form of amplifier voltage output, or headroom (which gives a dB scale, and corresponds to the limiting set within the amplifier). Most smartphones will run that just fine via a browser. I have an old Android tablet (running 4.4) that just about manages it.
- Mains current limiting
- Options for digital audio, including Dante

You might well find that the T-series are good enough, and you don't need to buy the Danley amps. Worth a demo, perhaps?
If you go ahead, let us know how you get on.

Chris

Mark Wilkinson:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on January 26, 2019, 12:07:05 PM ---Yeah, I think Mike probably will be able to help.

I had a quick look at these vs QSC PLD, and it's an interesting balance. The flexibility of combining output stages on the PLD amps is certainly neat, but the Powersoft amps are half the size and put out a little more power.
I haven't checked all the processing that the PLD amps have to offer, so can't really compare there. The Powersoft amps do have some nice features, though:

- 2048 taps for custom FIR processing
- Some control and monitoring via web server - connect the amps to a network, connect a device that'll run HTML5 web pages, and you can access some pre-selected controls, including EQs, muting, delays, levels. You also get monitoring in the form of amplifier voltage output, or headroom (which gives a dB scale, and corresponds to the limiting set within the amplifier). Most smartphones will run that just fine via a browser. I have an old Android tablet (running 4.4) that just about manages it.
- Mains current limiting
- Options for digital audio, including Dante

You might well find that the T-series are good enough, and you don't need to buy the Danley amps. Worth a demo, perhaps?
If you go ahead, let us know how you get on.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Hi Chris,

The amps look nice....alternatives are growing !
I especially like the input flexibility, and processing capability.

A question about the FIR taps....
The spec sheet says 42.6ms of FIR.  At 48kHz and the customary use of impulse centering that would indicate 4096 taps.
Have you been able to confirm the tap count in Armonia?

If it's truly 2048 taps, marketing is playing games with their 42.6ms claim , IMO!

Chris Grimshaw:
Hi Mark,

They may or may not be telling the truth on the marketing stuff.

When I select the EQ tab for an amp channel on Armonia+, there's a Custom FIR button, which brings up a pop-up box saying that the custom FIR file must be 48kHz and up to 2048 taps.

However, also on the EQ tab, there are options for highpass and lowpass filtering, where you can select an "FIR" slope for each of those.
The "FIR" slope seems to be variable with frequency - higher frequencies get a steeper slope. I wonder if they've locked some of the FIR taps away for the built-in crossover slopes.

I'm hoping to rent a large space soon so I can get my PA fully dialled in with the new amps - for now I've used my previous EQ settings and selected the "FIR" crossover for the mid-high section.

Chris

Mark Wilkinson:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on January 26, 2019, 06:02:54 PM ---Hi Mark,

They may or may not be telling the truth on the marketing stuff.

When I select the EQ tab for an amp channel on Armonia+, there's a Custom FIR button, which brings up a pop-up box saying that the custom FIR file must be 48kHz and up to 2048 taps.

However, also on the EQ tab, there are options for highpass and lowpass filtering, where you can select an "FIR" slope for each of those.
The "FIR" slope seems to be variable with frequency - higher frequencies get a steeper slope. I wonder if they've locked some of the FIR taps away for the built-in crossover slopes.

I'm hoping to rent a large space soon so I can get my PA fully dialled in with the new amps - for now I've used my previous EQ settings and selected the "FIR" crossover for the mid-high section.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Thanks Chris,

I guess in fairness regarding FIR, I shouldn't say what is "marketing" .....
It's a new dimension, evolving...

IMO, there are currently two basic uses of FIR.
One is building linear phase crossovers, such as you mention with the highpass and lowpass filters.
The other is "custom" FIR filters, where you put HPF & LPF,.. and EQ, ..and phase-only adjustment.... all into one filter.

It's probably gonna take the market some time to sort out how to portray capabilities on those two fronts....

As far as linear phase crossovers....I think it's safe to say what we want to know is...
what degree of on-the-fly, time aligned, and at what orders/types,  ....does the unit offer.

And for custom filters....it's simple.....how many taps are available (at what sampling freq / freqs if multiple are available)

"FIR time" is an unfortunate way of describing either IMO...bad ju-ju  ::)
Because I think FIR is getting commonly associated (rightly or wrongly) with linear phase.
And true "FIR time" under linear phase = 1/2 the taps.
So I'd say the T-series has 21.3ms 'FIR time'.

But again...that maybe unfair to say that at the present time of spec development...

Jasper Coolen:
Do tthiese new amps work good with 2 Ohm? The website shows only 4 and 8 Ohm.
http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/touring/serie-t#T604

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version