ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: I hate using Craigslist these days....  (Read 7099 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: I hate using Craigslist these days....
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2019, 12:30:59 AM »

I wonder what it would cost to ship those DXRs across the country.  I'd like a pair.

There's a crazy entitlement thing that people feel emboldened to submit crazy lowballs.  I put a car up on FaceBook marketplace and got the most ridiculous offers.  I asked someone what made them think of event bothering with such an offer and got the "If you don't ask you'll never know" response.  Frustrating beyond belief.  The problem there is they have access to your public profile and information.  I'll never use that again without some burner account.

I actually want to get out of this madness and the accumulation in the garage but there's no viable way to get rid of it all.  There used to be an independent local shop that took in consignments but now they only take in high end guitars and amps >$2k.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
I hate using Craigslist these days....
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2019, 10:43:28 AM »

I wonder what it would cost to ship those DXRs across the country.  I'd like a pair.

There's a crazy entitlement thing that people feel emboldened to submit crazy lowballs.  I put a car up on FaceBook marketplace and got the most ridiculous offers.  I asked someone what made them think of event bothering with such an offer and got the "If you don't ask you'll never know" response.  Frustrating beyond belief.  The problem there is they have access to your public profile and information.  I'll never use that again without some burner account.

I actually want to get out of this madness and the accumulation in the garage but there's no viable way to get rid of it all.  There used to be an independent local shop that took in consignments but now they only take in high end guitars and amps >$2k.

I posted in similar thread a while back that people take the position  that if you don't come down in price they are somehow being ripped off no matter how reasonable the price is.  "Entitlement" is a good description.   

And it has gone way beyond good faith negotiating IMO. People are actually trying to rip you off and they feel good about it.

I have found that if I ask more than I want I usually end up getting what I really want offered to me.  The buyer can feel free then to brag to his friends how he low balled me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:45:40 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Lyle Williams

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »

Say you want to sell something and you advertise it for $200.  The (undisclosed) minimum you will accept is $120.

A buyer is interested, but the (undisclosed) maximum they are willing to pay is $150.

So a dance starts where seller and buyer probe each others pricing to try and find if there is a deal to be made.

As neither party has full information there will be several interactions to find a price.  If the buyer (but not the seller) had full information the price would be $120.  If the seller (but not the buyer) had full information the price would be $150. 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2019, 06:52:11 PM »

I posted in similar thread a while back that people take the position  that if you don't come down in price they are somehow being ripped off no matter how reasonable the price is.  "Entitlement" is a good description.   

And it has gone way beyond good faith negotiating IMO. People are actually trying to rip you off and they feel good about it.

I have found that if I ask more than I want I usually end up getting what I really want offered to me.  The buyer can feel free then to brag to his friends how he low balled me.

A lot of people seem to think that if you're happy, they must have gotten screwed. They can't understand that both parties can benefit from a transaction.

Economics is not a zero-sum game.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2019, 07:41:45 PM »

When I lived in the UK, people didn't really make offers - at least it wasn't an expectation at that time. When I moved to CA, I got quite a shock as EVERYONE made offers on EVERYTHING.
However, if I saw something used for sale that I wanted and it appeared to be fairly priced, I would hand over the asking price without question - that was the way I was used to doing things. On a few occasions I have had the seller give me the weirdest look obviously confused as to why I didn't make an offer. After a few years I realized making an offer was an expectation and I fell in with everyone else. There have still been a few occasions when I had not made an offer and have handed over the asking price IF the item was worth it (to me).
Of course I realize that if I find that something isn't as described, making an offer lower than asking makes sense. Also if something is slightly beyond my budget, I might make an offer in case the seller is willing to let me have the item for a bit less than asking.  I just don't understand why EVERYONE has to make an offer on EVERYTHING.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Lyle Williams

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2019, 11:03:10 PM »

Flag the price as being firm in the ad.  If you are still trying to sell it a month later, don't be offended if people make offers.

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2019, 12:04:06 AM »

Another annoyance is when someone asks your location (in Kijiji) and the “map” clickable is clearly visable.

I don't know about Kijiji (I for some reason thought that it went away a couple years ago) but I wonder about folks who are viewing the ads, on whatever service we're using, on their phone.  Such a tiny screen and, well, our lives are all so fast paced, it's no wonder they might ask what appear to be dumb questions to us grown-ups still using "computers" with full size monitors etc. 

A friend of mine recently posted a couple things for me on offer-up.  He got so many responses so quickly that I decided to give it a try for some other things.  Mobile devices only.  So I installed the app only to find that getting the photos [that I've already taken] into their app was a huge pain.  So I gave up on it. 

Honestly, if the service is only on mobile I assume it's for children or those that suffer from ADD.   :-\ 
I'm sorry; all due respect to the participants here who are children with ADD...
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2019, 02:32:18 AM »

1/3rd is arbitary.  But it factors in some of the risks in buying a used item.

There is always a reason why the item is being sold.

Yes there is always a reason, some honest, some not so honest.  Upgrading to better gear, getting out of the business.  Now, on the darker side, the piece of gear may have been abused, not always fully functional, etc. 

It can be hard to wade through all these possibilities, especially from afar.

I always put the price on the title unless I am listing more than one item. CL will not allow you to post without filling in the field so it is tough to know what to put in there. I have tried the lowest priced item and had kick back because it is considered misleading, I have tried the highest priced item and then I get no calls because folks assume that price is for one of the less expensive items and I have tried the $1 thing which seems to be the norm for a multiple listing.

Debbie, I have the same thoughts when listing multiple items as well.  And depending on how many different items you are selling, it can take a while.  And for the small $$ stuff <$150, it's almost not worth the time unless you do one big post.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2019, 02:32:18 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.