ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I hate using Craigslist these days....  (Read 7089 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: I hate using Craigslist these days....
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 02:27:36 PM »

People do ask too much for stuff.  If the item isn't rare (ie,equivalent is available via retail) then about 1/3rd of list price is what it is worth if in good condition.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 02:45:16 PM »

A sure way to get me to ignore a Craigslist ad is to not list an accurate price. If you put $1 in the title for something and put the real price in the ad, I still won't bite.

Or when you're looking at cars, and for the mileage listing, they are too lazy to put in three more zeroes. (A 1996 Ford Ranger with only 462 miles? Really?) That makes it impossible to accurately search by mileage. And I'll bet more than a few people are confused by the "fwd" option -- is that front wheel drive? four wheel drive? has forward gears?

Also when they put L@@K in the title. I hate that. I WILL skip over that ad.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 02:46:11 PM »

Alway try the marketplace here. I just had a fellow Forum member drive up to PA from New Orleans to buy my Yorkvilles U15ps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is the first place I post, and buy from... before hitting the CL game.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 03:06:52 PM »

People do ask too much for stuff.  If the item isn't rare (ie,equivalent is available via retail) then about 1/3rd of list price is what it is worth if in good condition.

I don't agree. If something is in good condition, I am happy to pay up to around 50% of new - depending on what it is - maybe  bit more. That is usually my cut off. In the past this has worked for me as  the seller too.
I find on CL I have no choice but to ask more than I want to allow for offers which is a given these days.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 03:09:43 PM »

A sure way to get me to ignore a Craigslist ad is to not list an accurate price. If you put $1 in the title for something and put the real price in the ad, I still won't bite.

Or when you're looking at cars, and for the mileage listing, they are too lazy to put in three more zeroes. (A 1996 Ford Ranger with only 462 miles? Really?) That makes it impossible to accurately search by mileage. And I'll bet more than a few people are confused by the "fwd" option -- is that front wheel drive? four wheel drive? has forward gears?

Also when they put L@@K in the title. I hate that. I WILL skip over that ad.

I always put the price on the title unless I am listing more than one item. CL will not allow you to post without filling in the field so it is tough to know what to put in there. I have tried the lowest priced item and had kick back because it is considered misleading, I have tried the highest priced item and then I get no calls because folks assume that price is for one of the less expensive items and I have tried the $1 thing which seems to be the norm for a multiple listing.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Lyle Williams

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 01:09:46 AM »

Maybe 50% of street price.  But street is lower than list.

If I buy from a real store I know it is a real product with original parts and it has a warranty.

I also get to choose from a wider range of products (and purchase times) than when buying used.

I have a heap of gear I have bought used.  But used has significant downsides to me too.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:11:52 AM by Lyle Williams »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 08:30:34 AM »

Maybe 50% of street price.  But street is lower than list.

If I buy from a real store I know it is a real product with original parts and it has a warranty.

I also get to choose from a wider range of products (and purchase times) than when buying used.

I have a heap of gear I have bought used.  But used has significant downsides to me too.

True - I never even consider list because it is rarely what anyone pays.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »

To help manage scammers and the folks who hap-hazardly click "reply" to an ad without really being too seriously interested, I always include the following criteria (posted in bold text) in my Craigslist ads (the text below is taken directly from one of my previous ads):

1) Local sale only, cash only, no deals/offers/financing/trades/etc. Price is FIRM - I have priced this fairly, and if you're serious about the item, you'll realize the price is reasonable.

2) If you are interested in the item, you MUST change the subject line of your e-mail to me so that it reads, "I like sushi and your RCF speakers" - if you don't change the subject line, you haven't read this ad completely, or you're a scammer/bot and I won't reply to you.

3) If the ad is online, the item is available. I will remove the ad as soon as the item sells.

4) Please re-read and follow steps 1-3 before contacting me.

You'd be amazed at how many serious buyers skip line #2... I'll receive an e-mail with the default Craigslist subject line that reads, "Hey, I'm interested in your stuff. Where in Madison are you?"

I won't reply.

A day later, I'll get another e-mail, "Hi, I'm trying to reach you about your stuff. Call me at (number) or e-mail me back." (Subject line still default Craigslist subject)

A few hours later, I'll get another e-mail with the correct subject line... and then we'll talk.

Doing this helps cut-down on scammers, and if it IS a bot, they usually only spam you once. I may have lost a sale here or there because of the "rule" but I've also eliminated a ton of headaches.

...all of this said... I've had the best luck here on PSW. I've bought and sold stuff from dozens of people and every experience has been fantastic. Craiglist (especially in our area) is really hit-or-miss. FB is slightly better than Craigslist, but not by much. Your results may vary, of course. :-)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 03:54:09 PM »

Another annoyance is when someone asks your location (in Kijiji) and the “map” clickable is clearly visable.
As for the 1/3 list price, I find that is a rather arbitrary calculation.

One time I was so annoyed with the low ball offer for an item I was selling , I told the person that I would hand deliver the item and pay THEM the asking price😄
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Lyle Williams

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 11:59:26 PM »

1/3rd is arbitary.  But it factors in some of the risks in buying a used item.

There is always a reason why the item is being sold.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 11:59:26 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.