ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I hate using Craigslist these days....  (Read 7094 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
I hate using Craigslist these days....
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:23:46 AM »

So frustrating.
So these days when I post an item for sale on Craigslist, I have to add in footnotes, NO SCAMMERS, NO TROLLS and NO LOW BALLERS. It has become the new norm for me because of all the low lives out there who either want to scam me, or who have far too much time on their hands to pick apart my ad with insults and THEN lowball me!!
There is one guy - and I am convinced it is the same one each time - who spends his time picking apart local ads and accusing the poster of lying about the item, overcharging, trying to mislead etc. He then sometimes even places his own ad referencing these ads berating the poster. He has tried this with me and I have ignored him.

Also....when it comes to lowballing -I have an ad on there right now for my 2 DXR10's with padded carry bags and whenever I advertise anything I look at recent eBay sales and start somewhere in between the lowest to highest sale price. I realize I will be made offers so this way there is some wiggle room and it is fair to the seller and buyer. Also I am saving any selling fees so I can afford to go lower.
However, it seems that the 'NO LOW BALLERS' part of the ad is irrelevant - I have had 2 stupid offers so far.
This time I even put 'LOW BALLERS WILL NOT BE RESPONDED TO' - so I won't be replying.
This happens all the time though.

Until the last couple of years, buying and selling on CL was a good option. I had really good luck selling at fair prices and was able to find stuff well priced also. Nowadays, I struggle to sell anything unless I want to literally give the stuff away yet when I look to buy, everything is way overpriced and unrealistic.....

....rant over.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: I hate using Craigslist these days....
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:56:04 AM »

I have the same BS with Kijiji when selling motorcycles.
I don't bother responding to the a$$ hats.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »

It just seems like all good ideas/ resources devolve into an opportunity for people to be jerks nowadays.
That's why this is my favorite forum.
All hail the troll police! ::)
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:55:34 PM »

It just seems like all good ideas/ resources devolve into an opportunity for people to be jerks nowadays.
That's why this is my favorite forum.
All hail the troll police! ::)

You know Dave - it seems everyone is so angry all the time and wants to attack other people. I see this a lot on FB too.  I agree with you about this forum - I feel it is the only place I can ask questions or make comments where someone isn't going to outright attack me.
Thanks PSW peeps for being good guys!!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »

You know Dave - it seems everyone is so angry all the time and wants to attack other people. I see this a lot on FB too.  I agree with you about this forum - I feel it is the only place I can ask questions or make comments where someone isn't going to outright attack me.
Thanks PSW peeps for being good guys!!!

I think you've seen us "not to suffer fools politely" although it's pretty tame by Angry Internet standards.

One thing is certain, you're no fool.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »

It has become the new norm for me because of all the low lives out there who either want to scam me, or who have far too much time on their hands to pick apart my ad with insults and THEN lowball reject me!!

Sounds like the story of my life for online dating... 

Have you tried Reverb?  You pay a lower percentage there compared to ebay, and so far I've had a good experience with the folks I've done business with.  There's also OfferUp, though so far I've only dealt with flakes - both as a buyer and as a seller.  As much as I hate the higher fees that ebay charges, they still seem to be the best way to reach the most people, especially if you want something sold quickly. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »

Sounds like the story of my life for online dating... 

Have you tried Reverb?  You pay a lower percentage there compared to ebay, and so far I've had a good experience with the folks I've done business with.  There's also OfferUp, though so far I've only dealt with flakes - both as a buyer and as a seller.  As much as I hate the higher fees that ebay charges, they still seem to be the best way to reach the most people, especially if you want something sold quickly.

Funny !

I have used Reverb to buy and it was always a good experience.I have used eBay to buy too and that has also been very positive (for the most part).
Maybe I'll bite the bullet and use one of those instead. I am trying to thin the herd a bit selling things that don't get used much so  there will be more before I am done.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 03:50:24 PM »

I think you've seen us "not to suffer fools politely" although it's pretty tame by Angry Internet standards.

One thing is certain, you're no fool.

Thanks Tim  - oh I know you guys can get quite feisty when pushed but really you are all great people and go above and beyond to help others. I feel very fortunate.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 04:07:40 PM »

If you use Fakebook, you might consider joining a local music gear and/or pro audio swap/for sale group.  I belong to two in my area and both are moderated fairly well.  If someone acts like a flake, the work gets out quickly to the others in the group(s).

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 05:21:29 PM »

I say, give 'em something to complain about (Sorry Ms. Raitt, Something to talk about)
Say yes to all low ball bids.  Set the same time and place for them all to "meet you" and then stand them all up.  Tell them to all wear a carnation so you'll be able to recognize them  "You'll" have one, too! (tee hee)
They'd have plenty to talk about.  ;D

Use the anonymity of CL to your advantage.  I have NO CONSCIENCE!

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 05:21:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.