ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM Transmitter/Receiver and/or Mic Transmitter  (Read 3906 times)

Justin Goodman

IEM Transmitter/Receiver and/or Mic Transmitter
« on: January 24, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »

Is there a current lineup from any manufacturer where IEM receivers will be compatible with portable transmitters?

Basically I'm looking for a cross compatible system to be able to run point to point audio EITHER from a rack-mounted transmitter OR from something like a powered speaker output to velcro up a battery powered transmitter as well. All the receivers will be battery powered. Ideally I'd like all the gear to be cross compatible so they can be deployed as needed vs an IEM system and then a separate ENG kit for battery powered point to point. 

I know the UR1/UR5 and PSM900 play nice together, but UR1 and UR5 are discontinued and hard to find replacements for in the case of UR5, so it's not really a viable long term plan should anything need to be replaced. 

I think the Senn evolution stuff is cross compatible, maybe? I do prefer Shure stuff generally as I find the Sennheiser squelch/pilot tone to not work super well which is an issue for having remote speakers with amps wide open. 

Can I use a P9RA with a UR1 and/or other Shure bodypack transmitter?  Not as familiar with Lectrosonics lineup ... anything that might work there? 

Thanks for any suggestions that might point me in the right direction!

Editing to add: I'm looking for:
-1 Rackmount transmitter
-1 Battery powered transmitter
-3 Battery powered receivers
... and the ideal budget for the above 5pcs is <$3500-4k. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:56:27 AM by Justin Goodman »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: IEM Transmitter/Receiver and/or Mic Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:53:27 AM »

I think the Senn evolution stuff is cross compatible, maybe? I do prefer Shure stuff generally as I find the Sennheiser squelch/pilot tone to not work super well which is an issue for having remote speakers with amps wide open. 

-1 Rackmount transmitter
The Sennheiser EW G series will do this. I have not had any pilot tone/squelch problems doing a point to point.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »

The Sennheiser EW G series will do this. I have not had any pilot tone/squelch problems doing a point to point.
+1
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 06:13:06 PM »

They actually sell a beltpack style receiver that looks identical to the beltpack transmitter.  They get used for ENG rigs quite a lot.  The half rack rackmount unit is of course compatible as well.

It's good stuff and very cost effective.

If you want to spend more money, there are Lectrosonics solutions that will meet your criteria.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Justin Goodman

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:29:31 PM »

Thanks all. So the SR300 IEM transmitter is compatible with the EK100 receiver out of the box such that BOTH a EK300IEM receiver AND an EK100 receiver could receive the same signal?

As much as I have reservations about the squelch, this is like a $1500 solution vs what looks like $6-7k for a Lectrosonics set up. 

brian maddox

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 10:14:22 PM »

Thanks all. So the SR300 IEM transmitter is compatible with the EK100 receiver out of the box such that BOTH a EK300IEM receiver AND an EK100 receiver could receive the same signal?

As much as I have reservations about the squelch, this is like a $1500 solution vs what looks like $6-7k for a Lectrosonics set up.

Yes.  You'd be operating in Mono Mode without the pilot tone.  The Companding scheme is the same. 

The transmit power is not as high as the Lectrosonics/Shure solutions, so this would not be ideal for a situation where you need to send the signal long distances, but for reasonable distances [100 feet or so] this should be fine.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 07:46:25 AM »

The Sennheiser EW IEM transmitter with an EW wireless mic receiver works great. I have a couple of the EW IEM systems and an older dual IEM transmitter transmitter unit.

With good antennas at each end I have done 1600' line of site.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 09:25:39 AM »

When using the rack mount TX/RX you have the advantage of different antenna solutions for better range.
The rack mount IEM TX will allow for a different antenna but the beltpack receiver is a fixed antenna. Should still work well.
I have used an IEM TX with a "paddle" antenna sending to a receiver with a 1/4 wave antenna and it was rock solid out to 500'.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

brian maddox

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 10:11:55 AM »

The Sennheiser EW IEM transmitter with an EW wireless mic receiver works great. I have a couple of the EW IEM systems and an older dual IEM transmitter transmitter unit.

With good antennas at each end I have done 1600' line of site.

I was being cautious wrt distance but there you have it. Real world experience. Sounds like it’s a great choice.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »

Is there a current lineup from any manufacturer where IEM receivers will be compatible with portable transmitters?

Basically I'm looking for a cross compatible system to be able to run point to point audio EITHER from a rack-mounted transmitter OR from something like a powered speaker output to velcro up a battery powered transmitter as well. All the receivers will be battery powered. Ideally I'd like all the gear to be cross compatible so they can be deployed as needed vs an IEM system and then a separate ENG kit for battery powered point to point. 

I know the UR1/UR5 and PSM900 play nice together, but UR1 and UR5 are discontinued and hard to find replacements for in the case of UR5, so it's not really a viable long term plan should anything need to be replaced. 

Can I use a P9RA with a UR1 and/or other Shure bodypack transmitter?  Not as familiar with Lectrosonics lineup ... anything that might work there? 

Thanks for any suggestions that might point me in the right direction!

-1 Rackmount transmitter
Wisycom MTK52 / MPR51 /
https://wisycom.com/products/product/mpr51-eng/ receiver
https://wisycom.com/products/product/mtp40s/ transmitter
https://wisycom.com/products/product/mtk952/ rack transmitter

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.