ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace some gear  (Read 5396 times)

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
Re: Replace some gear
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »

......RE powered vs passive - powered wedges sound better per $ than passive wedges, are better protected, and if there is a failure, you replace both amp and speaker in one shot with a spare.  If an amp in a rack dies, that may or may not be easier to recover from depending on how your system is setup.  If you're like me, powered speakers get used as wedges on one show, then mains or fills on another show.  Unless something radically changes, I will never use passive utility speakers again.

Totally agree.

I see a lot of emphasis put on the extra cabling of powered wedges on stages, but that can be negated with packaging. Personally, I put rack mount power strips with outlets on both the front & rear in my DL32 stagebox rack. This makes it easy to use siamese cables, as power and signal comes from the same location.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 02:50:53 PM »

Power distro racked with mic preamps, what could possibly go wrong?   :P ::)

Totally agree.

I see a lot of emphasis put on the extra cabling of powered wedges on stages, but that can be negated with packaging. Personally, I put rack mount power strips with outlets on both the front & rear in my DL32 stagebox rack. This makes it easy to use siamese cables, as power and signal comes from the same location.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »

Oh, a couple of things... don't overlook mixer (Midas Core) in the rack, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »

Oh, a couple of things... don't overlook mixer (Midas Core) in the rack, too.

Complete with mini cams on the back! Just kidding...

I'll admit, this might have went over my head. Are you guys alluding to possible EMI/RFI issues with this setup? I've powered 6-8 wedges with relatively low power draw without issue.

Always willing to learn! 

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 05:21:35 PM »

With all respect, I would expect this to work just fine. You're more likely to have a hum problem from powering different parts of the system from different branch circuits in a funky building. The arrangement here avoids that, at least with respect to the preamp/mixer and the powered monitors.

I use a similar arrangement with an outlet strip in the monitor amp rack (passive monitors in my case) that generally sits right underneath the preamp/mixer rack so is only inches away and have never had a problem. Mic cables and power cables are constantly intermingled on stage and that, too, never causes a problem. We use balanced signals for a reason.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 05:21:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.