ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace some gear  (Read 5397 times)

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
Replace some gear
« on: January 23, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »

We had a small accident with our truck last week. a guy in a pickup truck tried to pass us on an icy road, lost control, hit the back of my truck and threw us in quite a bit of a spin back & forth. Got it back under control and discovered the rails inside the box had ripped off the wall and quite a bit of gear flew around.

We lost 9 of the 10 RCF ART500a speakers. The LS9/32 is trashed. Our wireless rack of 10 AT3000 wireless systems is questionable and several road cases are broken....

Now I am working with the insurance co...

I need some suggestions for replacements:

Monitors - 10 - 15 x 2 self powered
Mixer - replace the LS9/32
Wireless - What to replace the AT3000 series.

Throw me a few suggestions if you were doing this what would you get.

Thanks much

Bob Cap

Bob Stone

Re: Replace some gear
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 07:15:16 PM »

Better road cases...just sayin lol

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »

Better road cases...just sayin lol

Or mo' betta load control, to go with the replacement gear.  Just sayin'.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 07:55:33 PM »

We had a small accident with our truck last week. a guy in a pickup truck tried to pass us on an icy road, lost control, hit the back of my truck and threw us in quite a bit of a spin back & forth. Got it back under control and discovered the rails inside the box had ripped off the wall and quite a bit of gear flew around.

We lost 9 of the 10 RCF ART500a speakers. The LS9/32 is trashed. Our wireless rack of 10 AT3000 wireless systems is questionable and several road cases are broken....

Now I am working with the insurance co...

I need some suggestions for replacements:

Monitors - 10 - 15 x 2 self powered
Mixer - replace the LS9/32
Wireless - What to replace the AT3000 series.

Thanks much

Bob Cap

Sorry to hear you lost some gear but it's great that you/your crew were not injured.

Insurance settlement aside, what would you buy to upgrade this rig, and what's your pain point (budget)?

NAMM is coming up this week, might see what is new and exciting.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 09:27:41 PM »

Can't resist my usual refrain.  Buy the same things you can rent more of quickly and easily.  Unless you're an entirely stand alone operation in an isolated market you will reap benefits from being able to get more wedges / speakers / amps, whatever from your competitors if you have similar inventories.  A bit less so with consoles UNLESS you use digital stage boxes then the same factors come into play.  Your inventory of course becomes much more re-rentable as well.

Other than that why do you want powered wedges?  It means twice as many cables on the stage, it means more weight in the boxes that get moved the most without wheels, it means a hundred plus components to fail in the box rather than five or ten.  I get powered boxes for subs and maybe flown speakers where cable length and low impedance loads start to become an issue but not wedges.

Thanks much

Bob Cap

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 09:56:23 PM »

Other than that why do you want powered wedges?  It means twice as many cables on the stage, it means more weight in the boxes that get moved the most without wheels, it means a hundred plus components to fail in the box rather than five or ten.  I get powered boxes for subs and maybe flown speakers where cable length and low impedance loads start to become an issue but not wedges.

^^THIS!!!!!  I do NOT understand the fascination with powered boxes in general, but especially not for wedges.

As to a passive wedge choice, the d&b MAX2 is the newer version of the Max 15.  Sounds amazing and can be powered by any amplifier which makes it mix and match a little better with whatever else you have in your inventory.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »

LS9 > M32
Art500 > NX32, TT25-cxa
AT3000 > QLXD

Bob Stone

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 11:26:11 PM »

Can't resist my usual refrain.  Buy the same things you can rent more of quickly and easily.  Unless you're an entirely stand alone operation in an isolated market you will reap benefits from being able to get more wedges / speakers / amps, whatever from your competitors if you have similar inventories.  A bit less so with consoles UNLESS you use digital stage boxes then the same factors come into play.  Your inventory of course becomes much more re-rentable as well.

Because powered wedges mean no big heavy amp rack to lug around, only need to run power and signal - not signal and power and speaker, no need for extra DSP/outboard, more protection from careless operators, more versatile where most powered boxes can be used as wedges and SoS, less points of failure since each wedge is self contained and one going doesn't mean two or four like an amp going (and you ultimately have the same hundreds of components), and if you're not wheeling your wedges that you're doing it wrong.

I totally get using powered wedges.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:32:01 PM »

Reading that list of gear you posted it seems to me that it was about time to upgrade anyway.  What happened to you is a lousy way to start that upgrade process, but start it must. 

For the console, I would suggest an Allen&Heath SQ5 or SQ6.  Yes, the SQ5 has 16 local mic preamps, but add a DX168 digital snake box and it adds 16 more inputs, giving you 32 total mic preamps.  I really like the small form factor of the console.  The SQ6 gives you 24 faders - SQ7, 32 faders (in case you really need all 32 faders at your fingertips without going through layers).  If that console line is a bit above your budget number then take a look at the Allen&Heath QU line. 

For the wireless, at a fairly comparable price point to the AT3000, check out the Sennheiser EW100 G4 offerings.  Rock solid RF kit that should last for many years (11 years ago I recommended the Sennheiser EW100 G2 units to a local theater company and to this day they are still using them with no problems). 

For the speakers, if you are looking for a dual-purpose powered speaker, take a look (and listen) at the EV EKX 12P or ETX 12P speakers (depending on your budget number).  I like them better than the QSC K12.2 speakers.  To my ears they have a smoother response.  Oh, and they are wooden cabinets too.  EKX 12P - 1500W amp.  ETX 12P - 2000W amp.  The EKX 12P comes in at 41lbs., while the ETX 12P weighs in at 52lbs. 

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 01:02:49 AM »

I have gone from A-T 3000 series to the Shure QLXD wireless as my transition to the new spectrum. I have both bodypacks and handhelds. The new A-T 3000 bodypacks have changed to a different connector, so my existing A-T lavs, earworn mics, and guitar cables wouldn't work with the new style. Grrr.  For me, I have better cross-rental opportunities with Shure, so I've made the switch. YMMV.

Edit:  I'm glad that only your stuff was damaged, and you were not injured.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:06:24 AM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 01:02:49 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.