ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RE: smaart advice/opinion please  (Read 2861 times)

jamie ashton

RE: smaart advice/opinion please
« on: January 22, 2019, 05:52:28 PM »

Hoping someone with more knowledge than myself could take a look at a measurement I have recently made with my mid tops please.
They are tannoy vnet 100s, powered with the linea research amps and dsp. Crossover points are 450hz dsp generated from dual 12s to 2" and 6.3k passive between 2" and 1". All wiring from amp to drivers is positive polarity and this has been confirmed to be correct by tannoy.
I noticed something lacking in the top end so decided to have a look. I'm not very experienced with smaart but competent enough to understand to an extent.
Attached is my response taken with program material with dual fft.
Measured in my local small to medium sized club, measurement mic approximately 1 metre from the cab between the horn and dual 12 section. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:57:18 PM by jamie ashton »

Alex Pregel

Re: RE: smaart advice/opinion please
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »

It looks like a polarity or timing issue (very unlucky mic placement). On the data sheet for your speakers, there is a passive crossover at 7kHz, right around where the dip is. It could also just be an unlucky microphone position where those two drivers have phase issues at 7kHz. When you move the mic a little bit does the dip move? If it does, it's the timing/phase cancelation. If not, it's probably a polarity issue with the HF driver. (My bet is a polarity issue)

Hoping someone with more knowledge than myself could take a look at a measurement I have recently made with my mid tops please.
They are tannoy vnet 100s, powered with the linea research amps and dsp. Crossover points are 450hz dsp generated from dual 12s to 2" and 6.3k passive between 2" and 1". All wiring from amp to drivers is positive polarity and this has been confirmed to be correct by tannoy.
I noticed something lacking in the top end so decided to have a look. I'm not very experienced with smaart but competent enough to understand to an extent.
Attached is my response taken with program material with dual fft.
Measured in my local small to medium sized club, measurement mic approximately 1 metre from the cab between the horn and dual 12 section. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jamie ashton

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:27:52 PM »

It looks like a polarity or timing issue (very unlucky mic placement). On the data sheet for your speakers, there is a passive crossover at 7kHz, right around where the dip is. It could also just be an unlucky microphone position where those two drivers have phase issues at 7kHz. When you move the mic a little bit does the dip move? If it does, it's the timing/phase cancelation. If not, it's probably a polarity issue with the HF driver. (My bet is a polarity issue)
  yes I thought polarity too so I inverted the 1" and got this.  But has it now made the phase wrong?

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 07:21:18 PM »

Looks like an improvement in the phase to me. 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:14:29 PM »

yes I thought polarity too so I inverted the 1" and got this.  But has it now made the phase wrong?
What is wrong about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

jamie ashton

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 04:28:42 AM »

What is wrong about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought with the extra phase wrap and there being no line at the crossover point that it is now out of phase even though the dip is fixed. Whereas on the first screenshot it's one continuous line that's at 0° at 7k. As I say I'm not that knowledgeable but I have an idea.

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 08:15:32 AM »

Did you have Smaart re-time align once the HF polarity was flipped?
That might be the cause of your extra wrap.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 08:15:32 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.