ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions wanted for small church improvement in sound reinforcement  (Read 817 times)

Dan Courtney

Re: Suggestions wanted for small church improvement in sound reinforcement
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 10:45:09 am »

But, don't ignore areas were people don't currently sit.  If you get a single new family attending, they might be in a dead spot. 
Mounting the speakers on the beams IS a good idea, but be aware that it is a "forever" decision, because moving them later would leave some unattractive beam areas.   Of course that is the same with drywall, but much easier to repair and make look good.
 I would also add that assuming that you use the use the wall mounts, I would consider adding a support cable at about 60 degs. to the wall to take some of the torque load off the arm, tilt adjuster, and plate wall anchors.  (If torque doesn't meet all implied forces correctly.... sue me.  :) :) :))

I like your idea of a support/safety cable. I've used support cables in tower installs and know how effective they can be.

BTW I did add a small, powered speaker to temporarily provide sound for our dead area in the front middle of the sanctuary. It's hard to see in the picture.
  I run an output from the mixer, via an AUX, and link that AUX to the master fader. Seems to work once the initial settings are made.

*I did take a good look at the possible beam area, but I found it was a facade/fake and not suitable. So David, we're taking your suggestion of anchoring into the plaster wall. (Hanging a strong magnet on a string will help us locate the 2 x 4s.) Im planning on using 6 lag bolts. I bought some white covered 14 gauge speaker wire so it would look too conspicuous. Im not sure how to hide it when crossing the wooden wainscoting.*
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:58:23 pm by Dan Courtney »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 04:57:54 pm »

I checked out the EV ZX3 12" passive speakers - 90 x 50 horn coverage would suit our install. The 2" HF driver would surely enhance our female vocals. We may have to settle with a 1.5 HF driver because of costs.

Be careful with high frequency driver specs.

The ZX3 only has a one inch exit throat on the high frequency driver, the 2 inch number comes from the diameter of the voice coil.
same goes with the 1.5 on many speakers.

Not saying 1 inch exit drivers are bad but there's a big difference between exit and voice coil size.

There are a couple of exceptions, but most 1.5 and 2 inch exit high frequency drivers are going to have at least a 3 inch voice coil diaphragm if not a 4 inch.

If you budget right now is only a $1000 you may better off to move the speakers you have now to the front and maybe looking at upgrading the power amp.

That way your front end has been already upgraded for when the time and budget comes to upgrade the speakers.

By the time you factor in shipping, some hardware and cable that's
going to eat into your total budget for speakers.
But granted even $900 will get you better speakers than you have now.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:46:12 pm by Mike Caldwell »

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 03:00:24 pm »

Focus your effort on where people currently like to sit.

But consider how much of that seating arrangement is due to the current sound coverage.

If the sound coverage was reasonably level over the entire seating area with reasonably good clarity, where would people sit?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 12:44:11 pm »

I bought some white covered 14 gauge speaker wire so it would look too conspicuous. Im not sure how to hide it when crossing the wooden wainscoting.*

Either fish it through the wall or paint it to match.  I did that years ago on a large area covered with wood that I could not fish through-the wires are hard to see even if you know they are there.
Steve Swaffer

Dan Courtney

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 06:57:18 pm »

Either fish it through the wall or paint it to match.  I did that years ago on a large area covered with wood that I could not fish through-the wires are hard to see even if you know they are there.

Thanks for the tip, Stephen; I may do that. Or travel along the top of the wainscoting and then down.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.