ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Al's Yorkville Elite EF-10P active speaker review  (Read 4688 times)

Al Poulin

Al's Yorkville Elite EF-10P active speaker review
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »

Hey guys, I had a chance to play with the new Elite EF-10P for the last week. The video pretty much says it all, but I simply LOVED these compact ultra high output 10s that go all the way down to 48hz -/+ 3dbs. Of course, as is always the case with small boxes, these likely perform best with subs, but they are really surprising stand alone and could be great for those solo acoustic/vocal performers that play for large audiences, but need a small box with both excellent output, great mid clarity an decent kick as well ALL in a compact package. Beautiful quality finish, baltic birch enclosure, neodymium 10'' woofer with 2.5'' voice coil, multi-band limiting.... Loud as fuck while sounding much much better than the E10Ps I've never been a big fan of. These are a must rent if you live in Canada IMO. These 10s really surprised me. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W34mPEVvEmw

Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services
Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  Its what separates us from the animals...except the weasel. - Homer Simpson

Steve Garris

Re: Al's Yorkville Elite EF-10P active speaker review
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »

Most of us here would probably be interested in these as lightweight floor monitors. It would be nice to demonstrate the wedge angle, as well as how each preset sounds with this box on the floor. Also, what type of power cable do they use?

The box looks nice but it's at the price of an SRX powered box. I do like the flat volume knobs on the back, and simple controls with no led screen menu.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 05:50:23 PM »

I was a big fan of the Yorkville Elite passive cabs going back 20 years ago, but it seems like over the years the pricing has gone up relative to other brands and therefore the overall value has gone down.

This speaker is priced at over $1000US. It's more than the Yamaha DSR112, and almost to Yamaha DZR range. And it's positioned well above the Yamaha DXR10 and QSC10.2 bracket, would would seem to be it's direct competition. Is it significantly better (louder, better SQ, more reliable, etc.) than any of those models?

Hey guys, I had a chance to play with the new Elite EF-10P for the last week. The video pretty much says it all, but I simply LOVED these compact ultra high output 10s that go all the way down to 48hz -/+ 3dbs. Of course, as is always the case with small boxes, these likely perform best with subs, but they are really surprising stand alone and could be great for those solo acoustic/vocal performers that play for large audiences, but need a small box with both excellent output, great mid clarity an decent kick as well ALL in a compact package. Beautiful quality finish, baltic birch enclosure, neodymium 10'' woofer with 2.5'' voice coil, multi-band limiting.... Loud as fuck while sounding much much better than the E10Ps I've never been a big fan of. These are a must rent if you live in Canada IMO. These 10s really surprised me. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W34mPEVvEmw

Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

James Paul

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 07:49:18 PM »

I was a big fan of the Yorkville Elite passive cabs going back 20 years ago, but it seems like over the years the pricing has gone up relative to other brands and therefore the overall value has gone down.

This speaker is priced at over $1000US. It's more than the Yamaha DSR112, and almost to Yamaha DZR range. And it's positioned well above the Yamaha DXR10 and QSC10.2 bracket, would would seem to be it's direct competition. Is it significantly better (louder, better SQ, more reliable, etc.) than any of those models?
Agreed. Though the EF`s construction and materials appear to be very well suited to endure some serious road abuse, a plus for rental houses, an aspect that any of the Yamahas are not particularly well suited for, IMO.
Fact, Yamaha and QSC warranties are 3x length w/registration, distributor or service centers.

FWIW, note that the EF12P is double the wattage and HF size (3"), 3" LF VC, 17 lbs heavier (59 lbs),
$280 U.S. street additional, for one hz lower (47), and two db higher (131 peak), @ $150 U.S. over the EF10P
street price seems even less a value in comparison, on paper.

Possibly view & demo @ NAMM.

Congrats Al and happy ROI.  :)

Al Poulin

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 10:10:56 PM »

Most of us here would probably be interested in these as lightweight floor monitors. It would be nice to demonstrate the wedge angle, as well as how each preset sounds with this box on the floor. Also, what type of power cable do they use?

The box looks nice but it's at the price of an SRX powered box. I do like the flat volume knobs on the back, and simple controls with no led screen menu.

I agree the price is up there, and I may be mistaken, but it doesn't look like there's much of a monitor angle on these. Its this possible? As for power cable, I'm guessing just standard (not locking IEC). I generally don't get power cables when I rent gear.
Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  Its what separates us from the animals...except the weasel. - Homer Simpson

Al Poulin

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 10:25:43 PM »

I agree the price is really up there. I'm guessing a combination of made in Canada, the neodymium woofer and quality finished wood box all play a part in that. The EF10Ps simply look, feel (42 lbs) and sound like superior quality boxes. The output was truly surprising as was the bass response - especially in Club mode, which you generally don't expect from a 10'' box. Although I know it's processed like that (Club mode especially), it is really well done, and unlike many other similarly "LF boosted" processed cabs I've tested (NX55P for example) , these don't instantly sound like shit once the woofer runs out of excursion, likely thanks to the multi-band limiting. For solo gigging musicians or even DJs that play mostly small events, they should actually be able to cover a good amount of people with this little pair of 10s. Add a Parasource 12'' sub or two on the ground for bigger events and you've got a nice, very compact, scalable system with very high SPL potential. 

Al Poulin

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »

Agreed. Though the EF`s construction and materials appear to be very well suited to endure some serious road abuse, a plus for rental houses, an aspect that any of the Yamahas are not particularly well suited for, IMO.
Fact, Yamaha and QSC warranties are 3x length w/registration, distributor or service centers.

FWIW, note that the EF12P is double the wattage and HF size (3"), 3" LF VC, 17 lbs heavier (59 lbs),
$280 U.S. street additional, for one hz lower (47), and two db higher (131 peak), @ $150 U.S. over the EF10P
street price seems even less a value in comparison, on paper.

Possibly view & demo @ NAMM.

Congrats Al and happy ROI.  :)

Yeah, I wish Yorkville would at least double their warranty, but here in Canada, you can add years of warranty (Long & Mcquade) for a very low price. I personally preferred the EF10P over the EF12Ps which I reviewed last year. They just sound better to me overall, and the Club mode is better done as well as it sounded like a muddy mess on the EF12Ps. Compared to the E10P which I've never oficially reviewed but did test a few times, the EF10Ps sound WAY better, go WAY deeper and simply feel like a quality box to me.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 11:12:11 AM »

Yorkville was fairly early to the powered speaker party. My first powered setup was 720P subs and NX55 mains. Although heavy, with its 2" exit compression driver and power, the EF500P was farily revolutionary as a powered box that could do decent size club work. And the go to powered weekend warrior sub in the mid 2000s was the LS800P.  You could argue about the quality of the output, but the SPL was there.

The thing is, Yorkville really hasn't put out anything compelling at the upper MI / lower pro level for a decade. It's as much everyone else catching up and offering powered speakers as anything else. Now, in the US anyway, Yorkville seems like a humdrum niche brand that still has limited distribution and just isn't worth seeking out. Circa 2008 I started moving away from Yorkville and to RCF, which had similar distribution woes, but were the next to the party and seemed to be improved in weight, SPL, and sound quality.

Incidentally, A great example of the "catch up" is Yamaha. They had abysmal powered offering throughout the 2000s. It was so bad that, for a year or two, I remember they pulled the plug on powered boxes and had nothing to offer at all.... and this was right when everyone one else was coming to market with something and powered stuff was gaining traction fast. Then around 2011 (I think) they stormed onto the scene with the DSR boxes and it all changed in a hurry as they entered with a top shelf powered speaker for the price. 

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »

Yorkville was fairly early to the powered speaker party. My first powered setup was 720P subs and NX55 mains. Although heavy, with its 2" exit compression driver and power, the EF500P was farily revolutionary as a powered box that could do decent size club work. And the go to powered weekend warrior sub in the mid 2000s was the LS800P.  You could argue about the quality of the output, but the SPL was there.

The thing is, Yorkville really hasn't put out anything compelling at the upper MI / lower pro level for a decade. It's as much everyone else catching up and offering powered speakers as anything else. Now, in the US anyway, Yorkville seems like a humdrum niche brand that still has limited distribution and just isn't worth seeking out. Circa 2008 I started moving away from Yorkville and to RCF, which had similar distribution woes, but were the next to the party and seemed to be improved in weight, SPL, and sound quality.

Incidentally, A great example of the "catch up" is Yamaha. They had abysmal powered offering throughout the 2000s. It was so bad that, for a year or two, I remember they pulled the plug on powered boxes and had nothing to offer at all.... and this was right when everyone one else was coming to market with something and powered stuff was gaining traction fast. Then around 2011 (I think) they stormed onto the scene with the DSR boxes and it all changed in a hurry as they entered with a top shelf powered speaker for the price.

The new Synergy Array Series looks interesting. Could possible be some Danley style design here....

http://yorkville.com/synergy/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=80&v=eE2KuBXPI0c

Douglas R. Allen

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 11:55:41 AM »

The new Synergy Array Series looks interesting. Could possible be some Danley style design here....

http://yorkville.com/synergy/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=80&v=eE2KuBXPI0c

Douglas R. Allen

From the Features text: "Incorporates Tom Danley's patented Paraline Lens and Synergy Horn technologies"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 11:55:41 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.