ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How much ballast for ezy-up tent?  (Read 3584 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: How much ballast for ezy-up tent?
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »

I use concrete bases from temporary fences as my ballast.  They are readily available and have good tie-off holes.

I'm not sure if these concrete fence bases are "a thing" in the US.  I couldn't find US versions on google.

Like this: https://fortressfencing.com.au/temporary-fencing-plastic-fence-feet but mine are 30kg.  A plastic shell filled with concrete.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »

I'm not sure if these concrete fence bases are "a thing" in the US.  I couldn't find US versions on google.
Looks interesting, but they might run afoul of newer US Safety Codes.

Until recently, many Festivals used plastic 55 gallon barrels filled with water to ballast their tents.  New Code changes claim those barrels slide too easily (based on coefficient of friction between plastic and pavement) and the only thing beyond stakes that I'm aware are acceptable are cast concrete blocks.

It seems like someone should be able to develop cleats or some other treatment to the bottom surfaces to bring those plastic drums into compliance.  Otherwise, there'll be a lot of wasted barrels.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 12:39:06 AM »

Looks interesting, but they might run afoul of newer US Safety Codes.

Until recently, many Festivals used plastic 55 gallon barrels filled with water to ballast their tents.  New Code changes claim those barrels slide too easily (based on coefficient of friction between plastic and pavement) and the only thing beyond stakes that I'm aware are acceptable are cast concrete blocks.

It seems like someone should be able to develop cleats or some other treatment to the bottom surfaces to bring those plastic drums into compliance.  Otherwise, there'll be a lot of wasted barrels.

Dave

If I recall correctly, the failure of the stage at the Indiana State Fair in 2011 was blamed (in part) on concrete "Jersey barricades" not having sufficent friction on the ground to avoid sliding in the 60 mph (100km/hr) wind.  A way bigger structure than an Ease-Up canopy to be sure, but it ought to make you consider just how powerful the wind can be, especially if rain is making surfaces slick for your ground ballast.

Edit to correct year of the Sugarland stage collapse.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:43:14 AM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 03:05:31 AM »

If I recall correctly, the failure of the stage at the Indiana State Fair in 2011 was blamed (in part) on concrete "Jersey barricades" not having sufficent friction on the ground to avoid sliding in the 60 mph (100km/hr) wind.  A way bigger structure than an Ease-Up canopy to be sure, but it ought to make you consider just how powerful the wind can be, especially if rain is making surfaces slick for your ground ballast.

Edit to correct year of the Sugarland stage collapse.

Your memory is correct.  The stage pad had permanent guy anchor points but the Fair wanted to  move the upstage points further out to accommodate another lane of trucks/coaches.  The stage contractor used Jersey barricade (or K-rail in some places) as ballast anchors for those points.  The lower angle made it easier for the guy line to drag the barricade and the rain had converted dirt under the barricade to slick mud.  Once the upstage right guy lines lost tension it was doomed.

For those interested, the forensic engineering report from Thornton-Tomasetti is still available on the State of Indiana web site.  The emergency planning review by Witt Associates is also available.

Edit ps - for some reason the reports of the 2011 stage roof collapse are no longer on the in.gov site.  You can find the engineers reports here:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/tt_assets/pdf/TT_Indiana_State_Fair_Commission_Investigation_Report.pdf

http://s3.amazonaws.com/tt_assets/pdf/TT_ISFC_ReportPresentation.pdf
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:03:52 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 12:46:05 PM »

For those interested, the forensic engineering report from Thorton-Tomasetti is still available on the State of Indiana web site.  The emergency planning review by Witt Associates is also available.
Thanks for referencing Thornton-Tomasetti.  The forensic report was well presented.  Great information.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 12:55:44 PM »

I'm not sure what the code is, but I do know that no matter how much you steak it down, once you hit 60mph winds, the tent is going to become a missile.  Seeing one fly past you 15 feet away, then shearing off a speaker on a stand isn't something I ever want to see again. :)
Brian Jojade

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 03:29:31 PM »

I use the small theatrical two pocket sandbags filled with lead bullets.  It works out to just about 30 lbs a bag.  I then tie the handle to the top of the leg when line.  So far this has worked but, with anything there is always a limit. 

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 04:52:30 PM »

I'm not sure what the code is, but I do know that no matter how much you steak it down, once you hit 60mph winds, the tent is going to become a missile.  Seeing one fly past you 15 feet away, then shearing off a speaker on a stand isn't something I ever want to see again. :)

Lived that dream.
I have a bunch of the Nite Ize figure 9 carabiners in the workbox. Very handy when you need to undo a wet rope fast to pull the tent down, or re tension the rope.
They also make great "trick line adjusters" for single point hang days.
Please note, I don't use or recommend these for any overhead or life safety use.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 05:39:22 PM »

Thanks for referencing Thornton-Tomasetti.  The forensic report was well presented.  Great information.

It was facinating reading, albeit about 1500 pages long. The executive summary is well worth reading, as is the report about event planning for weather and other emergencies.  Last time I was at the Indianpolis Motor Speedway (for MotoGP races) there were wind gusts to 60 mph with rain. (They red flagged the race.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 08:49:58 PM »

This thread is quite apropos!

Last Saturday over 4000 people in Seattle's Capitol Hill were without power for much of the day when some people giving their pet a birthday party on the roof of their apartment building in the wind and rain had their EZ Up or equivalent get blown into the power lines.

Our son found this out and explained why he was without power even though the wind was minor compared to other recent storms.

This picture is from the Seattle City Light Twitter feed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 08:49:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.