ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How much ballast for ezy-up tent?  (Read 3618 times)

Lyle Williams

How much ballast for ezy-up tent?
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:15:42 AM »

How much ballast should be used for securing a 10'x10' pop-up shade tent?

40lbs per leg = 160lbs, based on what the vendor sells (sandbags that hold up to 40lbs)

-or-

250lbs per leg = 1000lbs, based on the 10lbs/sqft guide for temporary structures?

-or-

Something else?  Currently using 65lbs per leg.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: How much ballast for ezy-up tent?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 05:53:11 AM »

40lbs per leg = 160lbs, based on what the vendor sells (sandbags that hold up to 40lbs)

-or-

250lbs per leg = 1000lbs, based on the 10lbs/sqft guide for temporary structures?

-or-

A lot depends on the wind.
10-15mph creates a lot of lift.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 06:06:40 AM »

1000lbs is a lot of concrete to drag around for a structure that is (unfortunately) commonly unteathered...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:59:16 AM by Lyle Williams »

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 08:17:52 AM »

-or-

-or-

The 65lb per leg should be more than adequate for most (no all) wind issues.  In my experience, to get full benefit of added weight to a tent, the weight needs to be tethered from the top of each tent leg... not resting on the ground next to the leg.  We use 50lb cylinder sand bags, no issues.

Bob Stone

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »

I'd assume you're not on grass where you can anchor into the ground?

There's a point of diminishing returns too, eventually the structure can't cope with the wind and just tacos itself anyway.

scottstephens

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »

Lyle,

I stole this idea from a friend.  Go to your local big box home improvement store and get 1 gallon buckets and a bag of Quick Crete. Also get some ratchet straps and put in the buckets with the hook side out. Pour in concrete and let dry. That gives you 20lbs per leg and takes up almost no room. If you need more than that, use straps and anchors or cancel the gig. Because high winds mean major damage and law suits!!!

Scott

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:00:41 PM »

I just throw a 25lb sandbag on top of the tent on each corner. The tent cover sags allowing the sandbag to seat against the frame locking it in place. Not as pretty, but much faster and I already have dozens of sandbags on the job anyway. Also, no straps to snag on and nothing on the ground to trip over.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 02:40:50 PM »

We use an EZ-UP tent for shows we do outside (at the beach) in the summertime here in CT. This is for shade so I can see the displays and the buttons on the digital console. And so I don’t get cooked by the sun. A lot of the time when the sun goes down we take the tent down at an intermission so the people behind can see better. This is never left up overnight like would be done for vendors at craft shows. I got the feeling that you may have had that in mind so I mentioned it. The tent is setup in the grass so we can stake it down if needed. Most of the time we don’t bother with staking it down because the weather is calm enough. We use tie line from above the top of the leg to the stake that is right next to the leg. I don’t want to create a trip hazard for someone walking next to the tent. For a while I tried to use the corkscrew looking stakes but they were so hard to get a good bite with them that I now just use straight spikes (extremely large nails that came with the tent) and put them in on an angle. So if you pull on the line straight up they won’t come out. 

I have seen water filled bladders specifically made to weigh things down. I always worry about them leaking near electronics. But if you have a water source where you are working the empty bladders are a lot lighter to transport then sand bags or any other type of weights. You will need a lot of weigh. 

One time the lifeguards came up to us and told us that really bad weather was coming at us from the north. I had been looking to the west where it usually comes from. We quickly tarped the speakers and tied around the tarp and did the same to the mixer inside of the tent and then rather quickly the wind and rain hit us. Another fellow and I were hanging onto the tent that was staked down keeping it from flying away. It was a struggle to keep it from blowing away.

I was working an event in Cannes France and a bad storm hit us. The very large Circus size tent on the beach that was set up for an evening event disappeared into the Mediterranean See. Never to be seen again as far as I know. Sometimes the wind wins.   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:42:51 PM by Kevin Maxwell »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 02:47:51 PM »

If you know the wind is coming, take off the cover!  At least release the perimeter so it can flap instead of becoming an airfoil.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Lyle Williams

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »

Thanks everyone. 

An initial reading of the building codes found that a 3x3m (10'x10') temporary structure required 4x 120kg (1000lbs) ballast.

It looks like a heavy metal-framed marquee is considered to be a temporary structure but a pop-up tent isn't.  So the table telling me that I needed 1000lbs doesn't apply!  I'm glad about that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.