ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording interview audio at live event  (Read 3686 times)

Michael LaHatte

Recording interview audio at live event
« on: January 19, 2019, 09:40:03 PM »

We are at a lot of very large live events such as car shows, bike shows, etc and when we interview people the background noise ruins all the audio. Any tips, tricks, techniques, technology, etc for handling this issue. Handheld mics seem to freak people out so was hoping for some type of easy lav mic that can be quickly attached and detached or something...

Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 11:03:02 PM »

We are at a lot of very large live events

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Recording interview audio at live event
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:19:32 PM »

Countryman Earset?

Learn how to quickly teach people to be comfortable with a handheld wireless mic?

We are at a lot of very large live events such as car shows, bike shows, etc and when we interview people the background noise ruins all the audio. Any tips, tricks, techniques, technology, etc for handling this issue. Handheld mics seem to freak people out so was hoping for some type of easy lav mic that can be quickly attached and detached or something...

Thanks!
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »

I am not sure why this is under wireless but it doesn’t fit under live sound either.

The strongest thing at the mic wins unless there is a way to keep the room noise out of a mic. If the overall room noise is too loud then it is going to overpower the person speaking, especially with a lav/clip on mic. Back in my sound for video days I was doing a video shoot in a big open office floor, it may have even been an assembly floor. Right above where they had the person talking was an air vent. I was using a very expensive Neumann short shotgun mic on a boom as close as I could get and still stay out of the shot. I was surprised at how good it sounded. When we weren’t rolling tape I flipped the mic around and aimed it at the vent. The vent was making a lot of noise but when the mic wasn’t aimed at it it worked great.

Maybe a hand held short shotgun mic would help you. But there is a big difference in how a cheap one sounds and how a really expensive one sounds. The person interviewing and holding the mic would have to have headphones on or an ear bud in to make sure they are aiming it properly and picking up the person being interviewed. In general for what you are talking about long shotgun mics don’t usually work well indoors.   

A good directional hand held mic, if aimed right like I mentioned above will work a lot better than any Lav/clip on mic.   

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »

Shotgun on a boom.
Won't kill background noise but sure helps.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 02:34:33 AM »

Shotgun on a boom.
Won't kill background noise but sure helps.
Two identical mics wired with reversed polarity to cancel mutual / common mode noise with the interviewee speaking as directly as possible into only either one of the pair similar to the technique employed 'way back in the famous wall of sound concert daze. 
Toodleoo from north of Donald's walls. 
Ron Hebbard

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 05:39:45 AM »

with the interviewee speaking as directly as possible into only either one of the pair
Great idea but almost impossible to implement for an interview.
Would work great for one person commenting but when you add a "punter" for an interview, not a chance!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »

Great idea but almost impossible to implement for an interview.
Would work great for one person commenting but when you add a "punter" for an interview, not a chance!
Why not with a pair of mics for each of you?  It worked for all of the vocalists in The Greatful Dead. 
From north of Donald's walls. 
Toodleoo! 
Ron Hebbard

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 09:23:10 PM »

Why not with a pair of mics for each of you?  It worked for all of the vocalists in The Greatful Dead. 
It worked for the Dead because the vocalists were trained to sing directly in to the top mic, the inverted polarity of the lower mic canceled out much of the shared background noise, while the inverse distance law put the vocal quite a bit down in level on the lower mic.

The OP wrote "Handheld mics seem to freak people out", a pair of reversed polarity mics equidistant to the talker would cancel the talker out just as much as the background noise, and sound lousy due to comb filtering.

If the talent won't speak directly into the mic, a shotgun is the next best option, but still won't cut it if the background noise is louder than the talker, generally the case with noisy cars & bikes.

A small mic on a "wand" may be the best option, the interviewer can get it close to the talker's mouth with a flip of the wrist, less intimidating than strong arming a large phallus in someone's face.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:20:45 AM »

Just do ADR in post. That's how all the big interviews are done these days.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:20:45 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 26 queries.