ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX control - USB vs Ethernet  (Read 9157 times)

David Mason

Re: DMX control - USB vs Ethernet
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »

Sorry to revive this post, but I too was looking at both options of either a USB or Ethernet - DMX option.  The Enttec DMX or possibly the Pro Mk2 (for 2 universes)

I currently have a small set up for theatre workshops, with 8 LED fixtures, I use Qlab for sound on a macbook pro.  I was looking at a couple of options either

1) Qlab to control lights as well

2) seperate software for lights such as Lightkey or perhaps an ipad based one such as Luminair

The ideal situation would be that I can essentially control sound and lights all by myself with only one pair of hands..lol

Lighting wise, it would be easier for getting in and out of venues by having as little cable work as possible, so I looked at the donner transmitter/recievers, which I think I should be able to have 1 for each bar of lights (the rest daisy chain cabled) and then I can transmit the cues from the back of the room.

Any suggestions would be most helpful

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 08:29:30 AM »

Sorry to revive this post, but I too was looking at both options of either a USB or Ethernet - DMX option.  The Enttec DMX or possibly the Pro Mk2 (for 2 universes)

I currently have a small set up for theatre workshops, with 8 LED fixtures, I use Qlab for sound on a macbook pro.  I was looking at a couple of options either

2) seperate software for lights such as Lightkey or perhaps an ipad based one such as Luminair

The ideal situation would be that I can essentially control sound and lights all by myself with only one pair of hands..lol

Lighting wise, it would be easier for getting in and out of venues by having as little cable work as possible, so I looked at the donner transmitter/recievers, which I think I should be able to have 1 for each bar of lights (the rest daisy chain cabled) and then I can transmit the cues from the back of the room.

Heads up - You will need to change your display name to your real name as per forum rules disclosed to you when you joined before anyone can respond.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Mason

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 08:57:58 AM »

Heads up - You will need to change your display name to your real name as per forum rules disclosed to you when you joined before anyone can respond.

Done, thanks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 09:09:49 AM »

Done, thanks

Hi David and welcome.

I regularly run sound and lights at shows ( mainly live band work) from 2 iPads - 1 for each. I also sing backing through a wireless headset so I know controlling 2 iPads with one pair of hands can be done quite easily. I have 4 PARs per tripod - 2 tripods.
The use of Luminair will require a separate art net dongle - either DMX King or Enttec.
The Donner style TX/RX system works quite well according to some forum members. I do own a set but rarely use them- I would rather have the trees wired as it takes very little time. As I am already using the lights wirelessly through a router, I don't want to introduce any more points of possible failure so I stick to cables.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Mason

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 09:28:38 AM »

Hi David and welcome.

I regularly run sound and lights at shows ( mainly live band work) from 2 iPads - 1 for each. I also sing backing through a wireless headset so I know controlling 2 iPads with one pair of hands can be done quite easily. I have 4 PARs per tripod - 2 tripods.
The use of Luminair will require a separate art net dongle - either DMX King or Enttec.
The Donner style TX/RX system works quite well according to some forum members. I do own a set but rarely use them- I would rather have the trees wired as it takes very little time. As I am already using the lights wirelessly through a router, I don't want to introduce any more points of possible failure so I stick to cables.

Thanks for info, am I right in thinking you have your router setup next to the lighting with your artnet dongle and then your ipad wifi linked to the router?  I guess the extra money saved from buying donners would go towards the Enttec ode or similar

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 09:43:46 AM »

Thanks for info, am I right in thinking you have your router setup next to the lighting with your artnet dongle and then your ipad wifi linked to the router?  I guess the extra money saved from buying donners would go towards the Enttec ode or similar

Yes. I have the router on stage set up nice and high on a boom mic stand so I get good line of sight, light trees are on either side of stage so not too far from router.
The dongle is in a rack next to the router and connected to a DMX splitter (not necessary though).
IPad is wirelessly connected to my network through router. Lights connected to splitter. Works great.
The DMX King is quite bit cheaper than the Enttec - both work and are reliable.
There is an Enttec office quite close to me and I received excellent customer service from them when I needed help setting it up first time. I haven't had to contact DMX King.

Steve Garris

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 01:29:38 PM »

I do the same as Debbie, mixing sound on an iPad and Luminair3 on an iPad mini. I have both iPad's velcro'd to a clipboard, so I can walk the room and mix while also running lights. I use Apple Airport Express routers for both sound & lights. I don't place the light router up high, I just set it on the stage next to the dongle (DMXKing). I use the Donner transmitters/receivers on each tree of lights, up to 6 of them at a time, with excellent results.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 01:29:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.