ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What moving head wash should I buy?  (Read 2771 times)

Jerry Prince

What moving head wash should I buy?
« on: August 14, 2019, 06:01:51 PM »

I’m debating on a few different lights for back lighting for small to medium size events. I’m looking to add them to my current lighting rig.

Right now I’m using Elation Epar QWs for front lighting and have multiple AMDJ Tri7x Flat pars for truss warmers and rear wash lights. Also have 6 Elation Platinum 5r beams. I’m using Martin Mtouch for lighting control.

I’m looking at the Martin Rush MH6 and the Chauvet Rouge R1 wash or R2 wash. What would you recommend.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: What moving head wash should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 08:57:53 PM »

I’m debating on a few different lights for back lighting for small to medium size events. I’m looking to add them to my current lighting rig.

Right now I’m using Elation Epar QWs for front lighting and have multiple AMDJ Tri7x Flat pars for truss warmers and rear wash lights. Also have 6 Elation Platinum 5r beams. I’m using Martin Mtouch for lighting control.

I’m looking at the Martin Rush MH6 and the Chauvet Rouge R1 wash or R2 wash. What would you recommend.

I had some Chauvet Legends, which the rogues replaced and was pretty happy with them, but I'll tell you I'm completely blown away with the Elation Fuze Washes I have now. The Fuze series makes a nice High-ish CRi white and is zoomable. The colors are really nice, and the whole face is a lens so the face is one solid color. It's the new LED Studio Color. They are great. Comes in a big and small mover and several sizes of Par.

I wish I could show you some video, but our video team only does close shots of people and never gets a wide of the stage! lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eos2k1uFLI

If you go to the very, very end of this you can see some of the movers moving. We have 8 of the Z120's on the upstage side and 4 of the z350's downstage. The 350's are beasts. You can see the white spots hitting around the screens at the end. They just doing a ballyhoo for the finale.

I also have 10 Z175's over the downstage edge for down color.

P.S. I know the horns are dark. They moved them down and offstage at the last minute, and I do all the audio and lighting here. I didn't have time to refocus anything! I shot the Z350's there as best I could, but it came out real dark on camera. I have a lot of light on the main stage.....
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:02:23 PM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jerry Prince

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 10:11:45 PM »

I had some Chauvet Legends, which the rogues replaced and was pretty happy with them, but I'll tell you I'm completely blown away with the Elation Fuze Washes I have now. The Fuze series makes a nice High-ish CRi white and is zoomable. The colors are really nice, and the whole face is a lens so the face is one solid color. It's the new LED Studio Color. They are great. Comes in a big and small mover and several sizes of Par.

I wish I could show you some video, but our video team only does close shots of people and never gets a wide of the stage! lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eos2k1uFLI

If you go to the very, very end of this you can see some of the movers moving. We have 8 of the Z120's on the upstage side and 4 of the z350's downstage. The 350's are beasts. You can see the white spots hitting around the screens at the end. They just doing a ballyhoo for the finale.

I also have 10 Z175's over the downstage edge for down color.

P.S. I know the horns are dark. They moved them down and offstage at the last minute, and I do all the audio and lighting here. I didn't have time to refocus anything! I shot the Z350's there as best I could, but it came out real dark on camera. I have a lot of light on the main stage.....

Thanks Tim for the video and all the information on the Elation Fuze washes. It looks like the Z120s are in the same price range as the others listed above. I will try to find some videos and reviews on them.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »

The Z120's are excellent in the rear for eye candy. I wouldn't use them for front lighting on a larger stage, but in club world they could be ok. They just don't have the punch that the 350's have. I love the fact that the lens is about the right size for a Par lamp. They look just like a moving par that the can zoom as well.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 01:48:16 PM »

Hi Jerry. I don't have much experience comparing to other models, but I own Rogue R2 wash lights and they are amazing. I LOVE them. LOVE LOVE them. Huge output, great color, fast moving, big zoom range, reasonable prices.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:45:50 PM »

It's the new LED Studio Color. They are great.

Well that’s exciting!  I don’t have any experience with the Z350s yet, but if they’re a Studio Color replacement then maybe they’re worth a look for finally retiring my inventory of Studio Beams...

Jerry, as I’ve said in several other threads, I personally see the Chauvet Rogue Series as the industry’s next Martin Mac 250/300 and 550/600.  They’re becoming a very known commodity and are extremely affordable for what they offer.  I think it’d be hard to go wrong with them.

I don’t have the experience that Tim does with the Fuze Series, but I’d definitely put them on your list of fixtures being worth a demo too. 

One bit of my own to add since you mention back lighting, the Martin Mac Aura should also be on your list.  Both the original and “XB” versions are compact and lightweight but still offer very reasonable output.  The “Aura” eye-candy effect works well in the types of applications you describe, and they’re a very accepted product within the pro industry (if that matters).  They do cost a bit more than the Rogues but also have a little more to offer.  Good luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:45:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.