ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX812P pole mount issue  (Read 3317 times)

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
SRX812P pole mount issue
« on: January 19, 2019, 12:26:55 PM »

I was called in a small venue where we did a PA design/install several years ago to see if we could solve an issue with some extra pole mounts speaker systems they purchased recently. They now have several pairs of SRX812P/SRX 818sp subs, (these are usually rented out) mounting on the subs is done with Gator id sub poles (gas piston)...it fits nicely with the threaded end (M20) on the sub but the 812 is quite unstable on the top end, it does not fit neatly actually leans quite a bit to the side with the "straight" mounting hole and try as they might they can't get them to stay straight and keep the directional angle, they just pivot as if the hole is too large (it actually flares out at the bottom of the 812) it also rattles  ..other speakers usually have a screw of some type to tighten the speaker to the pole but these don't...Any tricks/suggestions ? in this case the cheaper the better as they don't have a technical crew,  it's usually operated by volonteers or on a "bring your own crew "format.....simple would be nice too.

thx

Ray
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:24:13 PM by Ray Soly »

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Re: SRX812P pole mount issue
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 12:51:42 PM »

We have several pairs of SRX812P/SRX 818sp subs, mounting on the subs is done with Gator id sub poles (gas piston)...it fits nicely with the threaded end on the sub but the 812 is quite unstable on the top end, it does not fit neatly actually leans quite a bit to the side with the "straight" mounting hole and try as we might we can't get them to stay straight and keep the directional angle they just pivot as if the hole is too large for the pole which also rattles at the pole/cabinet junction ..other speakers usually have a screw of some type to tighten the speaker to the pole but these don't...Any tricks/suggestions ?

thx

Ray

A pair of these work really well.

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Speakerlighting-and-monitor-stands-and-holders/Accessories-for-speaker-stands/21441-Adapter-sleeve-Ring-Lock-black

Or you can do away with the adaptor.

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Speakerlighting-and-monitor-stands-and-holders/Distance-and-extension-rods/21340-Distance-rod-with-hand-crank-and-Ring-Lock-black
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:54:19 PM by Kemper Watson »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »

Wooden toothpicks used as wedges between pole and cup.  Extra goodness if you can find the "World's Fair" brand of tapered, square toothpicks.

EDIT ps - the Worlds Fair toothpicks are now collectors items, it seems.  There are other square picks with tapered, rounded points.  Forster, the "World's Fair" maker is still in business and make what looks like the same item without the WF name.  Diamond makes a similar pick, too.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:39:34 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 01:19:23 PM »

I try to use my tilters that Dave Garoutte makes even if I don't need the angle because they fit so nicely and tighten every thing up.
However, if I am not using them, as I mentioned in another thread, I use my home made shims.
I take large empty plastic containers like vinegar or milk containers and I cut them up into pieces 1" x 3". The curve of the bottle makes them perfect to slot between the pole and the outer edge of the cup leaving a small piece exposed to pull out at the end of the night.
I place them at the back so the speaker tilts slightly down at the front and they cannot be seen. I keep a little baggie of them in my kit and because I lose one or two of them along the way, every 6 months or so I make more - free and effective.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »

A pair of these work really well.

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Speakerlighting-and-monitor-stands-and-holders/Accessories-for-speaker-stands/21441-Adapter-sleeve-Ring-Lock-black

Or you can do away with the adaptor.

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Speakerlighting-and-monitor-stands-and-holders/Distance-and-extension-rods/21340-Distance-rod-with-hand-crank-and-Ring-Lock-black

The top K&M clamp-on unit will eventually dent you poles from the set screw.

The second link is what I would do if you require crank stands. I have the K&M poles that don't have the crank, and they are excellent for my heavy SRX815p tops.

I've messed around with shims with limited success. The expanding mandrel type from K&M works really well. I wish more speaker poles would address this issue.

RaySoly

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »

thanks all for the suggestions, we tried shims and tape also =not great...anyone tried these? k&M

Ray

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »

The top K&M clamp-on unit will eventually dent you poles from the set screw.

The second link is what I would do if you require crank stands. I have the K&M poles that don't have the crank, and they are excellent for my heavy SRX815p tops.

I've messed around with shims with limited success. The expanding mandrel type from K&M works really well. I wish more speaker poles would address this issue.

This is the main reason I stopped using my K&M tilters. They mess up stands so bad - I tried using gaffer tape to stop the damage but it didn't really work well. In the end I didn't tighten them at all to avoid damage but this didn't hold them in place. This is where Nimrod and Dave's tilters are very kind to speaker poles.
I find the home made shims work great and take 2 seconds to install.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »

thanks all for the suggestions, we tried shims and tape also =not great...anyone tried these? k&M

Ray

YES these do work well but you can't get them tight enough. I find the plastic ones work better than the metal ones for this though.
adaptor

Just to clarify - I use these on my lighting stands to better marry 1-1/2" T clamps to 1-3/8" poles.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:53:21 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

RaySoly

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 04:35:33 PM »

YES these do work well but you can't get them tight enough. I find the plastic ones work better than the metal ones for this though.
adaptor

Just to clarify - I use these on my lighting stands to better marry 1-1/2" T clamps to 1-3/8" poles.

ahhh, ok thanks Debbie, so plastic then  :K&M plastic

Ray

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 03:33:42 AM »

ahhh, ok thanks Debbie, so plastic then  :K&M plastic

Ray

That sleeve won't work. 38 mm is nearly 1.5" diameter. I have used these little K&M rubber rings before, and keep some in stock. For quite a while they were out and I thought discontinued, but I see them again on the current product list.

K&M 85890
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 03:33:42 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.