ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Networking: Dante with DMX / ArtNet on the same cable?  (Read 5988 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: Networking: Dante with DMX / ArtNet on the same cable?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 02:44:31 PM »

You can out ordinary DMX512 (the serial RS485-based stuff normally found on an XLR5 or XLR3) over Cat5 wiring.  It doesn't have to be put onto ethernet first if you have a spare cable run.

If you are running dante at 100Mbit/s, then only wires 1,2,3&6 are being used for ethernet on Cat5.  You could make an adapter to allow DMX to be carried on the unused pairs (4&5, 7&8.)   Gigabit ethernet on Cat5 sadly uses all four pairs so another cable would be required.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 10:24:08 PM »

I'm looking into an Enttech usb->DMX which I can use with SCS. But then I'd need to run a DMX cable to the splitter. Running one extra cable isn't the biggest hassle in the world. Maybe I'll just skip the thought of just using cat5 for everything and use my time elsewhere using standard cables for the different signals going.

I think you're fine running it over the network.  VLANs is a smart idea.  You should be running at least two cables anyways between your two switches.  Link aggregation groups (LAG) gives you more bandwidth and always on redundancy should one cable fail, get unplugged, or otherwise get damaged.  You can then standardize your long runs as just good high quality ethernet cables (or fiber if you want) and not have to carry additional long DMX cables.  Plus if you ever need more universes you're already set to go, no more additional cables to add to the mix.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 10:24:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.