ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new Martin Longbow  (Read 6655 times)

Mark Wilkinson

new Martin Longbow
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:08:46 AM »

Anybody notice the new Martin box in LSI yesterday?
Longbow TPL

Looks just like the Peter Morris box put on steroids, and made for a line array.....
They appear to have spotted a good thing  ;)

edit: fix linky
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:19:12 AM by Mark Wilkinson »

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: new Martin Longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 09:39:01 AM »

Pretty sure Steve Payne could fill you in a bit.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 10:04:13 AM »

Anybody notice the new Martin box in LSI yesterday?
Longbow TPL

Looks just like the Peter Morris box put on steroids, and made for a line array.....
They appear to have spotted a good thing  ;)

edit: fix linky

The mid and hf horns use a lot of the same technology that's come from MLA, including the pointy "Blade" thing (cant remember their exact name) that splits the mid horn etc.

But yeah, the folding/layout of the two LF drivers is very different from MLA, and very similar to Peter's mid top design.

K

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »

The mid and hf horns use a lot of the same technology that's come from MLA, including the pointy "Blade" thing (cant remember their exact name) that splits the mid horn etc.

But yeah, the folding/layout of the two LF drivers is very different from MLA, and very similar to Peter's mid top design.

K

Martin refers to the "Blade" thing as a "wedge" in descriptions.

From what I have seen so far the LF design is similar to MLA.  It is a Hybrid Bass horn that utilizes a hyperbolic horn flair just as the MLA does and just as much of the W8L series did.  MLA C utilizes a Hybrid slot loaded Bass horn that is a bit different.

I have not had a chance to give the WP Longbow a listen yet.  The two previously introduced models of Wavefront Precision have done a very good job at giving a cost effective solution that can approach MLA series capability but scale the system cost by scaling amplifier requirements based on resolution.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »

I'm bored with new linearrays these days, new variations of the same thing.

I wish more companies would make something new and exiting like EAW Adaptive, that stuff is really a joy to deploy and mix on.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »

Martin refers to the "Blade" thing as a "wedge" in descriptions.

From what I have seen so far the LF design is similar to MLA.  It is a Hybrid Bass horn that utilizes a hyperbolic horn flair just as the MLA does and just as much of the W8L series did.  MLA C utilizes a Hybrid slot loaded Bass horn that is a bit different.

I have not had a chance to give the WP Longbow a listen yet.  The two previously introduced models of Wavefront Precision have done a very good job at giving a cost effective solution that can approach MLA series capability but scale the system cost by scaling amplifier requirements based on resolution.

Lee

Having been curious about it the other day, I looked it up and it seems it's called a HiBlade"

Another feature of the MLA’s midrange horn is
the HiBlade™ device, which modifies the wavepropagation in the horn throat.

In terms of the design itself, I'm sure the OP was being fairly tongue in cheek with his post. We all know that there is nothing very new in speaker land, pretty much all designs have already been done in one way or another in the past and modern designs build on the lessons and techniques learned before.

The new martin design does bear a striking resemblance to Peter's PM designs, but Martin has a very long history of building speakers obviously, and a great team of designers. While there could well be some influence that has been garnered by people on forums seeing a bit of Peter's design, the design seems to be more influenced by NOT being MLA.

All of these designs use ported horns for the low section, but in the MLA design at the bottom, they had to have much more of a 180 degree bend at the top of the ported horn and bring the driver forward into the middle of the cab to leave space for the amp module built into the back. Not having to have that, the designers were free to have a much less extreme bend and still maintain the horn length and expansion needed.

Peter Morris

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 08:03:31 PM »

Martin employs some very clever people and makes some of the best speakers you can buy. I’m flattered the design of their new box resembles my PM90/60 in some ways, but I suspect they may have come up with the design in isolation and without reference to mine  :)

With the recent management buyout and with Dom Harter as CEO I’m expecting a bright future for this company. https://martin-audio.com/news/press-release/ldc-backs-management-buyout-of-martin-audio-to-drive-market-share.

This design using two ported horn loaded 12” drivers achieves maximum efficiency with virtually no waisted space with in the box to minimize its size and weight. The PM90/60 design concept was as much SPL and quality that could be mounded on a stick from 100Hz up. As the Martin did not needed to be mounted on a stick the compromises were slightly different. Some of the “magic” with Martin’s design comes from the array processing and optimization developed by Ambrose for the MLA and applied to this box in a scalable format.   

... Accoustically the two horn exits act as a dipole to control low frequency directivity. Their spacing is determine by the crossover frequency and pattern needed; in the case of the PM90/60 around 650 – 700 Hz (to control the vertical pattern).  The Martin horn exits are spaced a little wider and have to control the horizontal pattern, so it needs crossover frequency a bit less than half the PM90/60 - 320Hz.

With these crossover frequencies the LF drivers are all operating in their piston range as well as having an acoustic low pass filter caused by the volume between the cone and horn mouth, hopefully reducing  the level any harmonic distorting. 

I'm looking foward to an oppertunity to have a listen to this new box ... I'm sure Steve P will give us some feed back  ;)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:03:03 PM by Peter Morris »

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 10:20:03 PM »

Pretty sure Steve Payne could fill you in a bit.

As of today I can't offer much more detail than is available on the Martin website.  I should know a lot more in about 10 days.  Waiting on a boat.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

MikeHarris

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 07:44:10 AM »

Waiting on a boat.

Don't forget to tip the boatman

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »

Don't forget to tip the boatman

:-). The freight forwarder called.  Delivery is scheduled for 3pm Tues.  We committed to this system 6 months ago when it was little more than a drawing on a bar napkin.  Bring it on.  We are so ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.