ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Jazz Kick Mic  (Read 6465 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Jazz Kick Mic
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 04:00:30 PM »

I think the only others were a B&K 4011 on snare ....

GTD

Now THAT is a fun mic on snare.
Actually, on anything that makes sound. My old boss used to say that they were well suited for anything from Melodica to a F16.

Try it on kick as well if you have the option.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 08:00:40 PM »

I don't jazz gig much, but when I have, I've been happy with my (old) SM91 sitting on the floor in front of the kick and a pair of OH....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Robert Patch

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »

I do mostly jazz and for closed back bass drum I use a Beyerdynamic TG-X50 with very good results.  I use a completely different mic for kick drums  :D

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 08:41:59 PM »

I do mostly jazz and for closed back bass drum I use a Beyerdynamic TG-X50 with very good results.  I use a completely different mic for kick drums  :D
Did a jazz crooner whose pianist was the musical director of the trio ( bass and vocal-the name of the act, piano, and drums). The mic didn't matter because the pianist had me turn down to basically off everything but the vocal mic and the piano.

At that point I am trying to explain that the only drums in the FOH system is the bleed through the stereo 414's on the lidless grand

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 10:05:21 PM »

RE-20 is kind of a standard.  With no port, another option is a ribbon a bit out in front.  One of the most amazing kick drums sounds I ever got was with a Coles out front of the drum.  But a Cascade Fathead or even an MXL R40 would give a balanced sound that isn't as "thumpy" as an RE-20.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »

RE-20 is kind of a standard.  With no port, another option is a ribbon a bit out in front.

Question about using ribbons live - how much trouble is the rear lobe of the figure-of-8 pattern?
I've a Cadenza ribbon here that gets used occasionally, and I'd like it to see more use if there's something it's likely to do well.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 01:51:07 PM »

Question about using ribbons live - how much trouble is the rear lobe of the figure-of-8 pattern?
I've a Cadenza ribbon here that gets used occasionally, and I'd like it to see more use if there's something it's likely to do well.

Chris

I sometimes use Royer 121 on guitar amps, it works rather well. Not had any issues in terms of feedback and haven't noticed any significant noise issues.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 07:31:23 PM »

Chris
With a loud source like a kick drum or guitar amp the gain isn't high enough for the rear lobe to pick up wedges enough to cause problems.  Might be an issue with an acoustic guitar or something.  Never done that.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 07:42:00 AM »

With a loud source like a kick drum or guitar amp the gain isn't high enough for the rear lobe to pick up wedges enough to cause problems.  Might be an issue with an acoustic guitar or something.  Never done that.

I can see potential for ribbon mics in live sound, even on quieter sources. The good ones have symmetrical pickup patterns at all frequencies, so if you carefully aim the null, direct sound from the wedges should be zero.
Of course, that pesky thing called acoustics will mess that up in a lot of situations.

I suspect that an outdoor festival with all the musicians on a single mic would probably benefit from the absolute rejection of the PA system from the figure-of-8 pattern, but such events are pretty rare over here.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 09:10:04 AM »

I can see potential for ribbon mics in live sound, even on quieter sources. The good ones have symmetrical pickup patterns at all frequencies, so if you carefully aim the null, direct sound from the wedges should be zero.
Of course, that pesky thing called acoustics will mess that up in a lot of situations.

I suspect that an outdoor festival with all the musicians on a single mic would probably benefit from the absolute rejection of the PA system from the figure-of-8 pattern, but such events are pretty rare over here.

I've used figure-8 patterns with condensor mics live. It's all about where you aim the other side of the pattern, ideally straight up into empty air.  The side nulls of a figure-8 are deeper than anything you can get from a cardioid.  For instance a single figure-8 mic overhead on a vibraphone can work really well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 09:10:04 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.