ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini XLR male & female connectors?  (Read 4974 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: Mini XLR male & female connectors?
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 02:21:37 PM »

One more vote here for Neutrik NC3FRX especially in drum snakes.

Nothing custom about them, proper resilient, and adjustable angles.

The Cable Techniques connectors are neat, but not really for everyone - as well as coming at quite a price.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 03:29:17 PM »

Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 07:49:49 PM »

One more vote here for Neutrik NC3FRX especially in drum snakes.

Nothing custom about them, proper resilient, and adjustable angles.

The Cable Techniques connectors are neat, but not really for everyone - as well as coming at quite a price.

Correct, not for everyone, but for those of us who love seeing a clean and trick setup, it's gold. :) lol
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 07:51:17 PM »

That is exactly what the low profile XLR's are aimed at. The TA5F connectors for Lectrosonics mics cost about the same money.

Someone in the Production sound equipment swap group on Facebook was 3D printing the snap caps to use on Neutrik NC3X connectors for a couple bucks each, as well.

Tim, do you have any idea who's making those end caps? I've got my fair share of custom looms for drums, keys, etc, but would love to add this style to my collection..

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »

Hi Sam-

Your rig, your gig, but my inclination is to loom up things that go out on stage identically, EVERY time, and only those things.  If that's what your doing, great.  If you're doing one-offs you'll end up with a big tangle of spaghetti on the mic end of things in a couple of gigs or you'll need some really anal-retentive crew to keep it free of tangles (a cream rinse, perhaps, or a nice marinara? ;) ).

We build a lot of looms, both from multi like Rob's and from individual mic cables taped together.  I'm not anti-loom, I just don't want to be the guy that has to untangle the mess they eventually become.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 07:36:49 PM »

Hi Sam-

Your rig, your gig, but my inclination is to loom up things that go out on stage identically, EVERY time, and only those things.  If that's what your doing, great.  If you're doing one-offs you'll end up with a big tangle of spaghetti on the mic end of things in a couple of gigs or you'll need some really anal-retentive crew to keep it free of tangles (a cream rinse, perhaps, or a nice marinara? ;) ).

We build a lot of looms, both from multi like Rob's and from individual mic cables taped together.  I'm not anti-loom, I just don't want to be the guy that has to untangle the mess they eventually become.
My compromise is to stick with smaller looms of 3-4 cables.

One three cable loom to the front of a drum kit (kick, kick, ride), one to the left ( snare, snare2 or pad, highhat) and one to the right ( Tom, Tom, Tom) will take care of most average sized kits and is 3 things to deploy and wrap, not 9.

Three cables sit together in a nice tight triangle, wrap and untangle easily.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »

Hi Sam-

Tim , thanks for the feedback. Considering I'm the only one in my "crew" for 80% of the shows I do, I know it will be in good hands. 90% of the drummers I work with all have the same type of drum kit (Kick, Snare, Hats, 2 racks, 1 floor and 2 OH) very basic and east to work with so the drum-loom would work for almost all kits. If I ever run into a kit that requires more inputs, then I'll just have separate connectors or looms that will work for that kit.

My existing looms are already done, it would just be a matter of switching out the female XLR connectors that I choose to do with the cable techniques connectors.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »

Tim , thanks for the feedback. Considering I'm the only one in my "crew" for 80% of the shows I do, I know it will be in good hands. 90% of the drummers I work with all have the same type of drum kit (Kick, Snare, Hats, 2 racks, 1 floor and 2 OH) very basic and east to work with so the drum-loom would work for almost all kits. If I ever run into a kit that requires more inputs, then I'll just have separate connectors or looms that will work for that kit.

My existing looms are already done, it would just be a matter of switching out the female XLR connectors that I choose to do with the cable techniques connectors.

Yeah, what I might do for myself is different from what I've found to work/be less frustrating when used by employees, hands, bands or rental clients.

For the price difference I'd use the regular Neutrik right angle connectors and spend the savings on a microphone. 8)  Hey, I like mics, what can I say?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 08:01:44 PM »

I have an 10’ 8ch fan to fan with the female ends labeled as to which mic of the drum kit goes there. I then have a set of (mostly) 10’ XLR cables labeled both ends. The mic end is white letters on black and the snake end is black letters on white (which matches the snake). Some have female right angles since the mics are in tight locations. The kick has a straight as the Heil PR48 can’t use the right angle. The overhead is a right angle 20’.

The female end of the sub snake is dropped between the high hat and the kick drum. For festivals, the individual cables stay with the mics which stay with their stands. For changeover, the cables are unplugged from the sub snake, the sub snake is pulled back to the stage box, and the mics on their stands are moved out of the way thus expediting removal of the kit and making way for the new. The individual cables are flip coiled and hung on the stands.

If mics are not used for a kit, then the channel strip is also unused. Lots of channel strips these days.

Anyway, it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 02:53:52 AM »

It's a guy in Spain. Gotham sound is selling them for $15 each.

Tim, do you have any idea who's making those end caps? I've got my fair share of custom looms for drums, keys, etc, but would love to add this style to my collection..
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 02:53:52 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.