ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sizing audience Blinders  (Read 4961 times)

Joe Pieternella

Re: Sizing audience Blinders
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »

Hope I don't forget anything/one.
I forgot to mention that crowds don't often go above 300 people. And when they do I often partner with a budding company for lighting. This is more for the smaller shows. These fixtures would cover pretty much 80-90% of my work. For the rest I'm happy to call our friends over there.

Please read this paragraph carefully.
No offense but I believe this post is getting all PSW, LEDs are specified and I feel like I clearly specified why. What I really wanted to know was how others determine how much power/light they need to blind a certain crowd size or if y'all are just bringing all you have or can fit on your truss/power. I wasn't kidding in the OP, I often deal with between 8 and 11 people on stage at once. And they need/want 7 to 10 monitors on stage, backline, and somehow always need to charge their phones/pads to update social media and/or read scores to play off.
On top of this I also need to get the PA, FOH and often (my) DJ equipment going on the same circuit. Imagine having all of this and finding out the hard way that you are sharing power with a microwave in the kitchen. This can eat the roughly 3600w/16a very quickly. Believe me I recently tripped a breaker for a first time and am trying to keep it these way. I was pushing around 800 watt of total light output at that time. That's why I wanted to know whether 180w on blinders would do me a favor or if it would just give people the idea that I wanted to have some but couldn't really do it right
Having said all that I understand that it is often hard/impossible to judge over the interweb how much I know and what kind of considerations I have or haven't taken. I can be guilty of this my self but I try to avoid it.

@Jeff
The reason I don't want halogen blinders is simple power draw, If I wasn't concerned about this I would simply repurpose the 300/500w halogens I have as blinders.

They are mostly there to add emphasis on certain parts of certain songs. Blinders are kind of a "new" concept in the style of music I provide for the most.

I also wondered whether the blinders wouldn't seem wimpy next to the other fixtures. However it seems like.I won't be getting anything over 30-40 watt total output for the PARs. I was eyeing some 70watt fixtures though but am afraid of.this very problem so will probably stick with these. The higher output ones are a slightly less known brand though. So a little wary about these and I feel harder to justify than the major brands.

@Scott
Quick maths gives me almost 500w of power draw for those. They look great but 500w is too much for me... I can get away with less though because i'm mostly indoors.

@tim
Mostly the same as what I said to Scott only your pushing even more watts.

For now I believe this thread can close

Edit: I'm not kaf or anything, and is maybe a little overboard. But I am pretty confident now in the fixtures I mentioned in the OP and this is mainly because of this thread.
If anyone feels like telling me how they size there rigs or has other fixture suggestions then please do share. But please keep.in mind... Im not plugging into nuclear powerplants quite the opposite

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H635 met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:36:10 PM by Joe Pieternella »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »

@tim
Mostly the same as what I said to Scott only your pushing even more watts.

For now I believe this thread can close

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H635 met Tapatalk

I get where you're coming from. And I'm really not trying to "push" anything. I'm just trying to show you the difference between the little twinkly strobe type blinders and a bigger COB unit.

The COB units look and perform like the real deal, but at 200 watts versus 1200 watts for a halogen option. Also 2 of the COB units would outperform 4 or more of the snowblind type blinders.

The Snowblind type does work much better as a strobe though. That's something the COB lights don't do well because they have a built in "dimmer curve".

Good Luck!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »

The most useful thing I posted is the link to the Pulse fixtures.  They have about the same output aa the Blizzard Snowblind and integrate into your power budget,

Speaking of power,  if you are amping up production at venues on town get them to put more power in.  They will push back at first but most capitulate.  A very popular Cleveland area bar with musicians had awful power.  It took public shaming but there are now 6 hospital grade (unbreakable) 15amps for the punters and two 50 amp 240 for full production acts.

Back on topic.  To me the most important aesthetic of a blinder is the warm light and slow filament decay.  One of the other shops on town has 12 panels of blinders that have aircaft style lights on them.  I think they doubled as snow removal gear because you can feel the heat from 100' back when they hit thoar nad boys and the filamenta glow for an eternity.  Wicked cool.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »

I get where you're coming from. And I'm really not trying to "push" anything. I'm just trying to show you the difference between the little twinkly strobe type blinders and a bigger COB unit.

Good Luck!

I'm afraid I didn't really make myself clear. what I meant was that apart from the wattage difference between your rig and Scott's my response to the both of you would be the same.  Only reservation for the COB blinders then is their small size relative to the stage.
In audio some people listen with their eyes. Maybe this metafor isn't applicable to lighting

Scott,
Those Pulse fixtures do indeed look great and I can see variations on the theme for sale here in europe, they are seriously getting added to my shortlist.
Great point about venue power I always try to express my reservations to what seems to be the most appropiate venue employee at that time. Outright dangerous situations are rare. The situation I mentioned above is what I can ( and often do) encounter at venues where they just hand whoever rented the venue the keys and come back the next day for inspection.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »

I'm afraid I didn't really make myself clear. what I meant was that apart from the wattage difference between your rig and Scott's my response to the both of you would be the same.  Only reservation for the COB blinders then is their small size relative to the stage.
In audio some people listen with their eyes. Maybe this metafor isn't applicable to lighting

Scott,
Those Pulse fixtures do indeed look great and I can see variations on the theme for sale here in europe, they are seriously getting added to my shortlist.
Great point about venue power I always try to express my reservations to what seems to be the most appropiate venue employee at that time. Outright dangerous situations are rare. The situation I mentioned above is what I can ( and often do) encounter at venues where they just hand whoever rented the venue the keys and come back the next day for inspection.

My point is I think the Pulse's are about the same as the Snowblind, just trying to get you a comparison.  I don't think the Pulse's are made anymore.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.