ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for mic'ing drums  (Read 4767 times)

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
Re: Suggestions for mic'ing drums
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »

I appreciate all the comments, especially the video on Glyn Johns, had not heard of that before.  I currently run them all into a DCA and it hasn't been too big a deal for me because he sets up his own kit.  Just that it takes him a ton of time to set up.  I think I can get just as good of sound with 3-4 mics and have done that for years.  I'm currently running all Shure mics.  What mics are guys using for drums? 

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 08:27:37 AM »

I appreciate all the comments, especially the video on Glyn Johns, had not heard of that before.  I currently run them all into a DCA and it hasn't been too big a deal for me because he sets up his own kit.  Just that it takes him a ton of time to set up.  I think I can get just as good of sound with 3-4 mics and have done that for years.  I'm currently running all Shure mics.  What mics are guys using for drums?

Mic brand is not really that important, all the major mic companies have drum mics or drum mic packages that will work fine.
The biggest choice is picking a mic that has the mounting, form factor and size you want to work with.

Myself I use Audix D series on 80% of a drum kit, hat and over heads I change out as needed.

That all said you could take a handfull of 57's and get the job done with good results.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:13:26 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 08:47:10 AM »

I'm currently running all Shure mics.  What mics are guys using for drums?
AT-4041's on overheads and hat, ND-408's and 308's on rack and floor toms, snare, and roto-toms, 57's on toys and snare bottom(when needed), D-112, RE-20, Shure 52 or something else on Kick. Depends on drum, player, and style of music.
Old, maybe. But certainly NOT obsolete.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Rick Powell

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 08:49:42 AM »

We use Shure SM57 on snare and Audix D series on everything else (D6 kick, D2 on rack toms and D4 on floor tom), with their spring-loaded D clip on the rack and floor toms. We don’t usually mic overhead or cymbals; the snare mic and vocal mic pick up enough of the hi hat and cymbals. 4 to 5 mics total depending if the drummer brings one or 3 rack toms. When we do sound outside of our band, we occasionallly use more mics at the client’s request or if it is an especially large kit with double kick, numerous toms, etc.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:52:44 AM by Rick Powell »

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »

I run sound for our band and am wondering about better/easier ways of mic'ing drums.  Our drummer insists on running mics each drum (8) and I'm thinking this is way over kill.  We usually play small rooms, theaters for 100-200 people.  I run a Midas M32R, DL32 stage box, QSC KW181 (4) when needed and QSC KW 153 (2) tops.  We are your average cover band, at times we add horns and more singers, up to about 12 max in the band total.

Just wondering what people suggest.  How many, placement and other thoughts would be great!  I have done drums with three mics before, maybe four, but eight seems like a waste of time.  We have space on the board, just don't want to mess with the setups.  I appreciate any suggestions.

A normal club kit for me is: D6 on kick, e604's on toms, plus two sm57's as OH's (sometimes only one OH, sometimes I don't mic the toms depending on venue).
The above works fine for me in club applications.
Outdoors I will add a 57 for the hat, snare, etc. if it's windy or as needed.

FWIW:  I have never met a drummer that refused an offer to mic his whole kit.
If it is a band that you do steady work with:
Get an 8 channel drop-snake and make a "loom" of short xlr cable and label the female jacks; K (for kick), HT (high tom), MT, FT, OH1, OH2, HH, SN.

Run the drop snake to the kit, plug in the loom and drape the xlr's on the kit with each cable placed where they need to be.  Have a couple of boom stands and and kick stand at the snake. 
Give the mics and mounting clips to the drummer and let him mount/place the mics as part of his set up / breakdown.

I anticipate that it will get old quickly...

It has been my experience that drummers (for some reason) always seem to the the last one to fully set up; always hanging cymbals at the last minute, etc. thus mic'ing a kit at that time can be a bit of a "dive" (hook-up, no sound check, EQ, and mix on the fly).

Mal Brown

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 11:17:47 AM »

If the tom’age goes beyond 2 rack and 2 floor then that rack of highs / octonbons / roto toms is not getting mic’ed...  unless I have a rider that I simply have to obey...

I am deep in e604’s for Tom’s.  If I’m feeling lazy (read small park festival with 20 minute band cut overs). The I’ll use on on a snare. Otherwise, 57 or i5 on the snare, socked 57 on the hat, D6 or 421 or ae2500 on the kick.

Rode mdc mics to under mic cymbals for a rock show.

Maybe some sdc’s for ohms- they probably won’t make it to an foh mix though...

Jazz setup is more like 412 on the small’ish kick, 441 OHD, maybe a 57 on the snare - also probably not used unless 8 completely blew the OHD placement...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 02:09:17 PM »

What mics are guys using for drums?

Kick: SE Electronics X1D
Toms/snare: Sennheiser e904
OH: Beyerdynamic MC930

I like those mics. Push the fader and they sound like the instrument.

Most of the time, kick and overhead is enough, but I'd rather have the toms etc mic'd and not need to push the fader, than to need more of the floor tom and not have a mic on it.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 02:58:43 PM »

I have been utilizing a 5 piece kit from Miktek lately. The PM series is really nice!!! I use AKG C214's for overheads!!! For hi-hat I have been using a cheap Behringer C-2 and it works great, although I am on the hunt for a nicer SDC to fill that role. I also have a Shure Beta 91 that I use for kick and I would say it is still probably my favorite, but drummers are looking for the more modern kick sound these days it seems. The PM11 from Miktek is a good balance between an Audix D6 and the Shure Beta 91. Lots of low end, plenty of click and attack with a good balance of mids. Less scooped sounding than the D6 and not as much attack as the Beta 91.

The AKG C214's are worth the money!!! They aren't a C414, but they sure bring the sweet, full and open sounding characteristics of them along. At around $200 each it is a little scary bringing them out on a low-end gig, but they just work so well. I have also used them on guitar and am looking at getting another pair to do just that! The C214 is turning into one of my favorite semi-affordable mics. Not too expensive and not too cheap and works really well for a multitude of things. One thing I really like about them is that they respond to mic position really well. If you move it a little it doesn't drastically change the sound ( as some mics do ), but it does make a change that you can quantify and make an educated decision on where to move it too.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:03:46 PM by Luke Geis »
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 03:55:30 PM »

For super-simple gigs, I'll mic the Kick only.  Snare and brass usually cut juuuuust fine in small rooms / small stages / in close proximity to vocal mics.

Most 'basic' gigs, I use 6 channels of Drums:

Kick  - beta52
Snare  - beta566
Hat - ADX-51
Tom 1 - e604
Tom 2 - e604
Ride - ADX-51

I looove great sounding toms.  I'd so much rather close mic them than rely on Overheads to pick them up.  It's worth it to me to run those two extra channels.  Gate em, add some 'verb if appropriate, and hassle your drummer about tuning them nicely (the difference between well tuned / badly tuned toms is not trivial).  Position the ride mic relatively close and compress it to capture some detail without becoming overbearing when the drummer really lays into it.

My standard 'Template' has 10 channels of drums; I may or may not use all of them:

Kick In - e901
Kick Out - e902
Snare Top - b56
Snare Bottom - e604
Hat - e614
Tom 1 - e604
Tom 2 - e604
Tom 3 - e604
OH-L - ADX51
OH-R - ADX51

On X32 or other block-of-8 type systems, this positions the two overheads on CH 9 and 10 where they make a convenient stereo pair.  Snare bottom is so tasty - I like to compress the bottom with a much longer attack than the top to let that 'Crack' thru.  Tom3 is often unused, and then available for sample pads and such.

This 10-ch setup is probably overkill for the OP, who's asking for simplicity.  But, since you're using an M32 with (presumably) plenty of channels available, you could consider setting up the full-featured template file, then pick and choose which channels to use based on the gig.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 04:56:17 PM »

For loud gigs mic each drum. If 2 toms are next to each other you can put a mic between them. I like 4 mics for recording my drums. 2 AKG C460B/CK61 overhead and 2 AKG D12E about 3 feet out front about a foot off the floor. I have a double bass kit with 4 toms thats spread out. The 4 mics gives a sound similar to sitting about 8 feet out in front of the kit. Recordings are also made with a close mic on each drum.

For live gigs I mic each drum. I put an SM57 on each tom and the snare. An AKG D12E on each bass drum. There are no holes in my bass heads and no muffling. 2 AKG C460b/CK61 overheads and an AKG C460B/CK61 on the hihat. The overheads dont capture my hihat very well.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:22:37 PM by Jeff Bankston »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 04:56:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.