ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice sought  (Read 3356 times)

Timothy John Balser

Advice sought
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »

Hi all,
My name is Tim Balser, and together with my co-partner, who happens to be my rockstar girlfriend and best friend forever, Lauren give presentations on our lives living with autism, Asperger's Syndrome, bipolar and anxiety/mental health disorders in the same brain. We are starting our new "touring season" in the middle of February and want to know what the consensus is regarding either hiring a crew or buying our own equipment to tour around our home state of Connecticut, and eventually nationally and further down the line, around the world. We use a lot of theatre, music both original and already recorded, live musicians and MP3's and audience interactivity plus personal stories, humor, tragedy etc. to teach what we go through literally every second of each day. Our first show of the new year 2019 is February 7. We tend to perform  at unconventional places like human service agency offices, hospitals, our college (We also attend college), supported housing programs, other schools, church/synagogue/temple/mosque fellowship halls or sanctuaries, public  libraries and more. Any advice would be gladly appreciated! :) Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:31:54 PM by Timothy John Balser »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Advice sought
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »

What advice do you seek?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »

If your question is buy vs hire.  I say hire...  buy comes with a learning curve and potentially a crew position for someone to setup and run.  What you are doing is essentially what we call ‘talking head’ support.

In my area, 2500 miles to the west, $150 to $500 depending on complexity, video or not, performance length, distance, load in/out  or logistical complications, audience size as a determination of the amount of gear.

Basically, we allow you to focus on what you do and not on becoming a sound /video tech
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:04:15 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »

Normally I’d vote to hire as well, though if your idea of “touring” means to play the local hospitals and libraries, I don’t think you’ll be able to find competent help willing to commit to the level you need for the paycheck that’s usually associated with those venues, much less provide a full-up system for you to use.  Do you have a business plan?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 06:17:55 PM »

It seems like you have a wide variety of venues you expect to utilize.
A small portable PA appropriate for the offices and libraries won't cut it in the larger spaces.
Dragging around a large PA if most of your events are in smaller rooms would be a pain.
It doesn't seem there is a single answer, so it might make sense to have a small pa you carry with you and hire out for the larger events.
You could own all the mics and wireless devices to keep that consistent.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 06:46:21 PM »

Based on some replies of others, I would ask if this is a labor or love or a money making venture?

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 07:21:09 PM »

What's your budget?

Roland Clarke

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 02:52:44 PM »

I would work out how your show is scripted, eg sound cues, playback and live players.  Can you handle this yourself, or does it need a third party if you are taking part?

Once you’ve answered this question, do you have a budget to pay someone?  If not, you will be either reliant on an in house tech or you need to simplify your show.

What can you tour with, what do you need.  If you need a wide range of kit, you have to hire, if a couple of speakers on poles, two 58’s and a small mixer you can plug your computer into, perhaps that is worth buying.  If you are playing to 50 people in a meeting room, hire might just not be viable, 600 people in a hall or auditorium will likely mean quite expensive kit and enough of it.

Everything in audio is easily broken down into what, where, when and how much.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 04:21:48 PM »

I'll jump in and say buy something small.  Something that will cover your small gigs.  Something that you can travel with.  Something that you don't have to go out and find/hire each time you want it.  Something that you can be completely familiar with.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 03:28:52 AM »

I think Lyle is right on it.  Paying $200 a show to hire 2 mics and a pair of sticks on speakers is silly.  10 shows and you will have easily paid for it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 03:28:52 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.