Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Another Powered Speaker Shootout (QSC, JBL, Mackie, EV, Yamaha, Peavey)

(1/6) > >>

Chris Lave:
Hey guys,

An audio store located near the Atlanta metro area hosted a comparison of budget powered boxes.  The comparison only included powered speakers at the $1,000 or less price point. The speakers were hidden for the listening tests and none of the DSPs on the amplifiers were engaged.  One of the judges stated to me each box inherently performed well for certain types of media (e.g., music playback, male vocals, female vocals, etc.) and not so great for others.  I guess it really comes down to the tuning results of the cabinet with respect to materials, components, and costs.  I would tell you which speaker placed first, but that would spoil the surprise, check out the link below.

http://www.peachstateaudio.com/ccpage/ccpage.htm

Gordon Brinton:
Interesting.

I am surprised to see that the Mackie HD1221 scored so low after all the glowing reviews I've read.

Is it a coincidence that the most expensive speaker gets first place? The $800 K12 would have been more "in line" with the other products.

I also believe that the dsp settings should have been left on and set to their recommended settings. That is the way that most customers will probably use the product in the real world. Without it, all we have done is compare the sound of raw drivers. If it corrects naturally occurring anomalies that a compact box design may cause then why not allow it? In my opinion, every manufacturer should be offering it. Those who don't deserve to fall behind in the marketplace.

Scott Bolt:
I thought that the DSR112 sounded noticably better than the JBL PRX612.  While the scores didn't show that, the user preference did with the KW122 first and DSR112 second.  Of those that picked the KW122, it appears that the DSR112 was their next choice.

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder ;)

In the scoring, there was the KW122 and the middle of the pack followed by the end of the pack.

Reggie Kendrick:

--- Quote from: Chris Lave on April 01, 2011, 10:25:02 pm ---Hey guys,

--- End quote ---
Where are the testing details... I'm not seeing any 'read more' hyperlinks.

Rob Spence:

--- Quote from: Chris Lave on April 01, 2011, 10:25:02 pm ---Hey guys,

An audio store located near the Atlanta metro area hosted a comparison of budget powered boxes.  The comparison only included powered speakers at the $1,000 or less price point. The speakers were hidden for the listening tests and none of the DSPs on the amplifiers were engaged.  One of the judges stated to me each box inherently performed well for certain types of media (e.g., music playback, male vocals, female vocals, etc.) and not so great for others.  I guess it really comes down to the tuning results of the cabinet with respect to materials, components, and costs.  I would tell you which speaker placed first, but that would spoil the surprise, check out the link below.

--- End quote ---
How does one disengage the DSPs in a powered box?

Do you mean no user enabled coloring was done?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version