ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help deciding speaker setup for church?  (Read 2744 times)

Landon Salman

Need help deciding speaker setup for church?
« on: January 12, 2019, 09:42:58 AM »

Adding new speakers for a contemporary church service. This will not be in our sanctuary, and will be in an upscale cafeteria essentially. Not much sound is needed, but GOOD sound is desired. Lights and screens already setup, just need to figure out what equipment for the full band. We will have 2-3 vocals, piano, acoustic guitar, elec. guitar, bass and drums, so we’re needing a system that can keep up. The room is about 150 people with chairs, and probably 250-300 standing room. It doesn’t need much sound but would want it to be good sound. I’ve looked at a few options and have listened to some of them.

EV EKX-15P with an EV ETX-18SP
QSC K12.2 with KW181
Yamaha DXR15 with one of the subs mentioned above
Yamaha DSR15 with EV EKX-18SP

Any thoughts? These will primarily be fixed and won’t move much but will need to be moved at certain times of the year. Please let me know what y’all think! The room only needs one sub, and so the budget to spend on all this is around $3500.

Edit: also, what is the difference in using a 12 inch vs. 15? Especially with a sub, would it be better to use a 12? I just want something that can handle being pushed without limiting or distorting. What RCF products would be in the same price range?

Also, i know that the Yamahas would be mixed with different brands, mainly because the Yamahas subs aren’t getting good reviews, and i need something that will handle them well, and work the the crossover issues without needing an external crossover.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:45:27 AM by landobando »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »

Adding new speakers for a contemporary church service.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »

Adding new speakers for a contemporary church service.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Who is Landon Salman?

Mac
admin

Kippiis

Re: Need help deciding speaker setup for church?
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »

I would pick one of these
QSC K12.2 with KW181

Jain John

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 10:55:46 AM »

JBL Srx 812p and JBL Srx 818p

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Roland Clarke

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 02:56:13 PM »

Adding new speakers for a contemporary church service. This will not be in our sanctuary, and will be in an upscale cafeteria essentially. Not much sound is needed, but GOOD sound is desired. Lights and screens already setup, just need to figure out what equipment for the full band. We will have 2-3 vocals, piano, acoustic guitar, elec. guitar, bass and drums, so we’re needing a system that can keep up. The room is about 150 people with chairs, and probably 250-300 standing room. It doesn’t need much sound but would want it to be good sound. I’ve looked at a few options and have listened to some of them.

QSC K12.2 with KW181

Any thoughts? These will primarily be fixed and won’t move much but will need to be moved at certain times of the year. Please let me know what y’all think! The room only needs one sub, and so the budget to spend on all this is around $3500.

Edit: also, what is the difference in using a 12 inch vs. 15? Especially with a sub, would it be better to use a 12? I just want something that can handle being pushed without limiting or distorting. What RCF products would be in the same price range?

Also, i know that the Yamahas would be mixed with different brands, mainly because the Yamahas subs aren’t getting good reviews, and i need something that will handle them well, and work the the crossover issues without needing an external crossover.

Any of the above suggestions along with the JBL SRX mentioned by another poster in the thread will do the job at a reasonable budget.  Of course you can spend much more, but it’s the law of diminishing returns.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 10:52:11 PM »

To me "cafeteria" congers up highly reflective spaces with reverberation times in the decades.  Very difficult to get "good" sound, and often non-traditional approaches like distributed near field speakers work better.

It's a common newbie fallacy to go looking for speakers based on some metric of sound quality and loudness.  What really matters is the space they're in and how the sound can be managed in that space.

As such the layout of the space, what the floor, walls and ceiling are like, where the performers are, and where the audience is become the first order of scoping out an audio system.  There is a separate House of Worship section to the forum where people with experience in spoken word delivery as well as music delivery can assist.  For starters, if you can describe some of the things I've mentioned experience folks can give better recommendations.  You say it doesn't have to be that loud.  What would you compare your expectations to?  A folk coffee shop, a jazz club, an R&B band in a bar?  That also gives people something to work with once they understand the venue.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 03:35:55 AM »

To me "cafeteria" congers up highly reflective spaces with reverberation times in the decades.  Very difficult to get "good" sound, and often non-traditional approaches like distributed near field speakers work better.

It's a common newbie fallacy to go looking for speakers based on some metric of sound quality and loudness.  What really matters is the space they're in and how the sound can be managed in that space.

As such the layout of the space, what the floor, walls and ceiling are like, where the performers are, and where the audience is become the first order of scoping out an audio system.  There is a separate House of Worship section to the forum where people with experience in spoken word delivery as well as music delivery can assist.  For starters, if you can describe some of the things I've mentioned experience folks can give better recommendations.  You say it doesn't have to be that loud.  What would you compare your expectations to?  A folk coffee shop, a jazz club, an R&B band in a bar?  That also gives people something to work with once they understand the venue.

I see a lot of distributed systems in smaller London clubs and you are right, often they can have some real advantages.  The only downside is price, which can easily be 10’s of thousands for relatively modest spaces.  This also only really works for permanent installs.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 07:12:38 PM »

In all honesty, all of the speakers you have mentioned are going to be very similar in sonic performance.  The difference in sound is going to come down to deployment and the operator's ability to make them sound good.  Some people will be adamant that XYZ brand is the only solution that works, but in the world of audio, the truth is that when you're in the same price range of gear, most reputable manufacturers products are nearly interchangeable.

In your question regarding the differences between a 12" speaker vs a 15" speaker, typically speaking, the 12" speaker will have a higher crossover point to the HF driver.  Many times, the smaller driver is preferred because it can produce sound further up into the vocal ranges and provide better vocal clarity because of that.  Now, that's not a steadfast rule by any means.

If you're using a sub, the LF response is less important so generally, I like using smaller tops.  Another advantage of smaller tops is that they're smaller and lighter and easier to lift.  So even if the sound were the same, I'd go with smaller because I'm well past getting excited about lifting heavy things. :)
Brian Jojade

Blake Cerenzia

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 01:59:59 AM »

QSC K12.2 with KW181

Sounds like this system will be portable (not installed). I personally really like the powered speakers from RCF, but that's just my opinion. Above all, try to find and then listen to these loudspeakers in person, to determine:

A- if they have the sound you are looking for (at least get an idea)
B- subtleties like handle placement, type of inputs, weight, etc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 01:59:59 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 26 queries.