ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Impromptu UK visit coming up - music stores in the south?  (Read 5576 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Impromptu UK visit coming up - music stores in the south?
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 01:56:49 PM »

Gotta love a woman that still knows what that pesky third pedal is all about!  Ah, but can you heel and toe around Brands Hatch?

Well maybe not but I NEVER roll back on a steep hill start!

Oh .... disclaimer - I was a driving instructor for The British School of Motoring back in the day...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 01:59:34 PM »

Ditto that.  I worked in and around London on and off for a bit and while the live music scene was OK  - from a music technology stand point is was like set your watch back 10 years...  the average GC here was a better experience and I never, ever visit GC unless it is a string based emergency...

Maybe I'll do that - just go see a couple of local bands.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 02:01:02 PM »

Yup I visited UK music stores with my sales rep back last century and it was not awe inspiring back then. I doubt it has improved since then.

The UK beer was better(even bitter is good, but I like stouts).

JR

I am considered an embarrassment to my British friends when it comes to beer. I used to enjoy cider and lager but these days I am happy with a Miller Light or similar.... yeah I know....

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 03:32:36 PM »

I am considered an embarrassment to my British friends when it comes to beer. I used to enjoy cider and lager but these days I am happy with a Miller Light or similar.... yeah I know....
A Lager lout?

I brewed two batches of hard cider this holiday season... hard to find apple cider without chemical preservatives but it makes good drinking when you do (I use beer yeast). I have a few in the refrigerator for later.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

David Smeaton

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 07:48:51 AM »

As you will be near Exeter, a trip to Mansons would be good.  Hugh Manson, who founded the store, builds Matt Bellamy's guitars (of Muse fame).  There is a PMT store in Bristol, but to be honest, it is not worth the trip for all the reasons previously stated.

If you came a bit further up country, to a place called Stonehouse, Nr Stroud in Gloucestershire, there is World Guitars.  This is all high end guitars and boutique amps.  It is based in an old courthouse and is amazing to visit.  Nothing there I can afford, but I still enjoy dreaming!!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 10:17:21 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. We will try to fit in as much as we can. In fact we want to distract my sister as much as possible whilst there and could take her to a couple of stores - she loves to visit new places and part of the fun will be the drive.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 10:24:17 AM »

I see the AR2412 is cheaper there than here especially when the VAT is refunded. Maybe I could pick one up there?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »

A Lager lout?

I brewed two batches of hard cider this holiday season... hard to find apple cider without chemical preservatives but it makes good drinking when you do (I use beer yeast). I have a few in the refrigerator for later.  8)

JR

Ooooh..... I do enjoy a good cider (hard cider out here). The first time someone offered me cider when I moved here, I was very disappointed to be given apple juice...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 11:27:24 AM »

I had been reading about the low price of the AR2412 in the UK compared to the USA. In fact out there I see the AB168 is around the same price as the AR2412 - sometimes more. So I contacted a store in Bournemouth. Really helpful guy there and it looks like a GC type store so lots to look at I hope.
He  gave me the breakdown on the cost of a AR2412. The store is only 1-1/2 hours away from Newton Abbot so worth the trip. Once the VAT is deducted, and the exchange rate applied,  it works out at a few hundred less than over here so it is an interesting option for me to save some money.
The power is universal so no worries there.
We can bring it back as carry on. Has anyone been through the VAT refund process lately?
Years ago at the airport it was a miserable experience waiting in line - having to unbox the item for inspection etc. Does anyone see any problem making the purchase in the UK other than warranty/service issues???

Daniel Levi

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 12:54:24 PM »

The store is only 1-1/2 hours away from Newton Abbot.

You can double that to ~2 1/2 hours from Newton Abbot (assuming going the quickest route of A38-M5-A30-A35) and if there is traffic in Poole you can extend that even further quite easily, as you may be aware the roads around Dorset are not the best so can slow things down a bit.

If you did want to make it more of a scenic trip then the coast road through Newton Poppleford, Colyford and Lyme Regis is interesting (follow signs off the M5 before you hit the A30), esp. if you have to wait for one of the trams when going through Colyford.

And just an F.Y.I. if you need fuel then the petrol station at Trago Mills Newton Abbot is always cheap and significantly cheaper that any services (despite being literally just off the A38) or you have Tesco in Dorchester (again less than 1 mile off the main road). 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 12:54:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.