ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody using the Elation/martin M-Touch?  (Read 4511 times)

duane massey

Anybody using the Elation/martin M-Touch?
« on: January 11, 2019, 01:44:01 AM »

Will be installing one of these in the near future, anything I need to know?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Anybody using the Elation/martin M-Touch?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »

I've been a user for a couple years.  The software, like any full-featured lighting software, has a learning curve, but the value of M-PC/M-Touch is better than anything else out there if you want any kind of physical control surface. 

You haven't said much about your application.  Is this a "program once then forget" thing? Is this something that people will be doing new looks for regularly? 

There are a bunch of great YouTube videos on M-PC that are worth your time to understand not just what the buttons do, but how to think about workflow.  The latter makes all the difference.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 12:20:42 AM »

"Set and forget" application in an older dance club. They have 3-4 cheap DMX controllers, each one for different lights, and no one there knows how to operate the sorry things, much less program. I'm going to set up a variety of programs for them, and I doubt very seriously if anything will ever change.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:11:34 AM »

"Set and forget" application in an older dance club. They have 3-4 cheap DMX controllers, each one for different lights, and no one there knows how to operate the sorry things, much less program. I'm going to set up a variety of programs for them, and I doubt very seriously if anything will ever change.
once you get it programmed it should be pretty solid. I strongly recommend you disconnect your machine from the internet so you don’t have to worry about windows updates.

I set this up at my church about a year and a half ago and it runs 24/7. Once in a blue moon (a couple times a year) things get weird that a reboot fixes. Other than that, the M-touch is pretty bullet-proof with no moving parts and being pretty much hermetically sealed.

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »

Thanks, Tom.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »

Duane, we started using Onyx formerly Martin PC with the M-Play.  Works great.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 06:36:41 PM »

I recently acquired an M-Touch from an install that decided it was inappropriate for their needs.  They wanted something very simple that their bar staff could operate.  M-touch is NOT that.  As others have said, it requires a PC running ONYX software (somehow they missed this detail when they purchased it), and there's a definite learning curve to the programming side in ONYX software.  I'm not an experienced LD, so it took me quite some time to get over the hump on that.  The tutorials from 'Learn Stage Lighting.com' were a great help.  Now that I've gotten the basics down I can say that I'm a fan, and I'd recommend it as a great tool for a sound guy trying to improve my light show.

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:46:07 AM »

Thanks, Peter. I will do the programming as part of the upgrade. I doubt that anyone at the club will ever change anything. As it is now they just turn all the controllers (5 different ones), put them on "auto", and then hit the strobe lights from time to time.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »

Thanks, Peter. I will do the programming as part of the upgrade. I doubt that anyone at the club will ever change anything. As it is now they just turn all the controllers (5 different ones), put them on "auto", and then hit the strobe lights from time to time.

Duane, if you go to the Onyx M-Touch/M-Play route and need any help with the programming let me know and I will see what I can do remotely and send you a file.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

duane massey

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 02:31:40 AM »

Damn! Spent 2-3 hours trying to load the software on 2 different laptops. Finally read the specs. Apparently when they say "i3 or i5", they mean "i3 or i5". Picking up a desktop and touchscreen tomorrow.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 06:53:54 AM »

Damn! Spent 2-3 hours trying to load the software on 2 different laptops. Finally read the specs. Apparently when they say "i3 or i5", they mean "i3 or i5". Picking up a desktop and touchscreen tomorrow.
Interesting.  I have it loaded on 4 machines of varying power and vintage including a Surface Pro 1 from 2013.  I believe the other 3 machines are various i7 iterations - both laptop and desktop.  What problem did you have?

duane massey

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 01:47:28 AM »

The first machine would  not let the .NET load. I tried it from the download several times, and then started over by loading the .NET separately. The program would not load, even after just sitting for 90 mins. Tried it on my laptop, took almost 30 mins to load and then locked up every time I tried to run the program. Both laptops have AMD processors. First one WIN 10, and mine has WIN 7.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 01:47:28 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.