ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to get started in rigging.  (Read 3638 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Where to get started in rigging.
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »

So, I have someone who is whip-smart, young, and is interested in making a living in production. I use her for audio whenever I can, but that's not much.

She has a math degree and one option I told her was "maybe rigging" could be a career path. She's not going to be able to work high, but with a math degree she would be excited to do the calculations and engineering side of it.

Is there a primer on rigging out there I could point her too? I am not a rigger myself and have purposefully stayed away from it so I'm not too hip.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Where to get started in rigging.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »

Have her start here:

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-Rigging-Handbook-Third-Glerum/dp/0809327414/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547155105&sr=8-1&keywords=Glerum+rigging

There's many live rigging classes that would be good once she understands the fundamentals.

https://www.usitt.org/glerummasterclass/

Maybe look into the ETCP Rigging certification. There's one for stage rigging and one for arena rigging. Should keep her busy enough for a year or two.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:30:11 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Robert Healey

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »

So, I have someone who is whip-smart, young, and is interested in making a living in production. I use her for audio whenever I can, but that's not much.

She has a math degree and one option I told her was "maybe rigging" could be a career path. She's not going to be able to work high, but with a math degree she would be excited to do the calculations and engineering side of it.

Is there a primer on rigging out there I could point her too? I am not a rigger myself and have purposefully stayed away from it so I'm not too hip.

If you are thinking of permanently installed rigging - the big issue in rigging isn't the math, it's the liability. For permanent rigging in systems I design, the integrator is responsible for getting the rigging design stamped by a professional structural engineer. Typically the "math" is simply addition and doing a bit of trigonometry, but the stamp means the engineer is accepting the liability for the work. Gaining state licensure as a structural engineer is a long process. Here it requires four years of an accredited school, four years of professional experience, and then two exams.

That being said, the Stage Rigging Handbook by Glerum is an excellent resource. Just warn her that reading it doesn't make you qualified to accept the liability of designing rigging...

John Fruits

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:07:27 PM »

Here is the link to ETCP:
http://etcp.esta.org/
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 12:32:56 PM »

She has a math degree

Why not deeper into the audio rabbit hole? Open up Bob McCarthy's  Sound System Design and Optimisation  and you'll see plenty of math....

Ray

Simon_Barrett

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 04:26:43 PM »

Why not deeper into the audio rabbit hole? Open up Bob McCarthy's  Sound System Design and Optimisation  and you'll see plenty of math....

Ray

Lots of maths in acoustics...

Acoustical Society of America would be a good place to look. Presuming you’re in the US of A!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 06:15:34 PM »

Two books - Donovan's "Arena Rigging: A Practical Guide" (I think it's "Entertainment Rigging..." now), and the Bill Sapsis book "Entertainment Rigging for the 21st Century."

I have to agree with Simon about acoustics; AES seems more appropriate than IATSE.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 06:50:07 PM »

Lots of maths in acoustics...

Acoustical Society of America would be a good place to look. Presuming you’re in the US of A!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea here. Thanks!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 07:26:24 PM »

Great idea here. Thanks!

There's always installed system design, and commissioning. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 02:38:37 AM »

If she wants to make a living in production work, have her go study managerial finance and accounting. Especially math intensive concepts like capital budgeting, working capital management, cost accounting, net present value and time value of money. Doesn't hurt to learn a little business law along the way.

Those things will go much further toward providing future success than rigging training ever will. The concepts are applicable across every industry.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 05:04:07 AM »

If she wants to make a living in production work, have her go study managerial finance and accounting. Especially math intensive concepts like capital budgeting, working capital management, cost accounting, net present value and time value of money. Doesn't hurt to learn a little business law along the way.

Those things will go much further toward providing future success than rigging training ever will. The concepts are applicable across every industry.

In other words, she should just go get a job in any other more lucrative business which doesn't have such long hours, back breaking labor, low pay, planet sized egos, and a depressing future of drugs, alcohol and no family.   ::)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 01:44:28 PM »

In other words, she should just go get a job in any other more lucrative business which doesn't have such long hours, back breaking labor, low pay, planet sized egos, and a depressing future of drugs, alcohol and no family.   ::)

And those are the good points!

I advise anyone who is not already delusional about production to consider being an accountant, plumber or electrician.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 01:44:28 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.