ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightweight Rock & Roll subwoofer, what have I overlooked?  (Read 2709 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Lightweight Rock & Roll subwoofer, what have I overlooked?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2019, 11:15:48 pm »

I think the future Mrs Young is a smart cookie and needs to be a part of your administrative team.

And remember:  happy wife, happy life.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2019, 08:48:50 pm »

I think the future Mrs Young is a smart cookie and needs to be a part of your administrative team.

And remember:  happy wife, happy life.

Yes.  For sure.

Also Yes.   ;D
brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2019, 08:53:50 pm »

I am on a gig at this very second that I have 4 D&B Y7P's deployed on. While the specs are nice, sound wise they are not exactly what I would call OMG. All in all, for the cost, they are not really punching above their weight. They are a dual 8" speaker that can get impressively loud and sound good but don't sound great. The point being, that money doesn't always get you more.

Let's just say that for the same total investment of the D&B Y7 system for two speakers, you could get 2 Meyer UPJ-1P's and have a killer small lightweight speaker that sounds stellar at $4k per speaker :)   Now obviously this thread is about subs. The thing about subs is that you have to pick a budget first and that will determine what you are going to get. You get to pick two of the three options of loud, cheap, or low-frequency reproduction. If you want loud and low, they won't be cheap etc. etc. For most, the budget sets the pace. If the budget is not of concern, then function obviously precedes.
I don't understand how you can't hear your self

Jeremy Young

• DSL SM80, JTR OS-Pro, A&H iLive, QSC & Crest Amps
    • Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2019, 12:33:32 pm »

Appreciate the feedback on the D&B system Luke.  My stairs gig came and went.  Hauled the rack/mic stand trunk/125lb subwoofer up the stairs with a helper and the rest went smoothly.  My legs sure got a workout by the end of the night. 

I'm strongly considering selling my low-level rig and just investing more in one rig that I can move by myself without stairs and with a helper when there are.  Having two price brackets just seems to be booking me with the "cheaper" system more often than I'd like to work on it, and leaving my good stuff at home not making money.  Not the best use of capital given the marginal transport differences.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Steven Eudaly

• Living the dream.
    • Headline Productions
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2019, 01:39:47 pm »

I am on a gig at this very second that I have 4 D&B Y7P's deployed on. While the specs are nice, sound wise they are not exactly what I would call OMG....

We own six Y10P and I feel the exact opposite. My favorite box in the shop. Consistently overwhelmed with their performance.

I say this not to swerve the topic, but to point out to Jeremy and others reading along that such opinions are highly subjective and while it is nice to discuss others' experiences to gain additional insight, when making any purchase of such gravity it is very important to demo items for yourself to make sure you're picking the right tool for you.

Jeremy Young

• DSL SM80, JTR OS-Pro, A&H iLive, QSC & Crest Amps
    • Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:32 pm »

Thanks Steven.  That's the beautiful part about subjective reviews!  I'd love to audition the gear, but without getting on a plane none of the equipment I'm interested in is immediately available to me.  Still considering a flight to Danley HQ though before dropping too much more cash. 

In related news, I have some gear for sale in the marketplace and am open to offers on all of the listings.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.