ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightweight Rock & Roll subwoofer, what have I overlooked?  (Read 32530 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: Lightweight Rock & Roll subwoofer, what have I overlooked?
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 09:47:39 AM »

Ara Ayrassian is who told me, but don't hold either of us to our word without talking to Ara directly ;)

I own TH118's and have demoed the TH-Mini. I love my TH118's. Wasn't able to run the mini full-tilt, they obviously sound good...

A QSC PLD 4.5 in a 1U rack with all processing internal next to your snake and 3x/4x speakon make a small killer passive system.

I've been mildly surprised at how well my pair of TH Mini subs perform. So much so, that I'd actually consider adding another pair for larger gigs instead of my Orbit Shifters.  Another reason is that four little boxes are easier for me to deal with sometimes than two larger ones.

I also have PLD 4.5 amps, but mine need a minimum of 2u spaces. You must have special editions. ;>)

I used SM 80 and SM100 for tops.

A compact high quality pair of rigs.

One other sub to consider is JTR's dual 12" model, the Captivator 212 Pro.  Only 67lbs., and pretty darned impressive.

Best regards,

John

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »

So I was able to demo the Meyer Sound slim system tonight, which consists of a UP-4SLIM over an MM10 (the part you are interested in).

Thanks Matthias that was very informative.  I'm very impressed with how small of a package that all packs in!  For an overflow room or a fill near a bar, delays, mains for spoken word, wedding ceremonies etc, I think this would be great, but I think I'd be worried I'd kill it with a full band unless it was a very small room with well-behaved musicians.  This of course is without having ever heard it just going off the max rated SPL specs and your brief review.

I'm revisiting my needs for my two rigs at this point.  I wanted to offer two price points to my clients so it was somewhat scalable to the size of the event/budget but maybe that just needs to be in the bottom end.  There aren't a lot of gigs I wouldn't want the SM80's I already own (they sound great at low levels) so I'm partially leaning toward a DNA20K4 with some THmini's or THmini15's to have a compact Danley rig for small rooms, bar bands playing in fancier venues than their gear should be, etc.  Then it's really just a matter of hauling out the bigger amp rack/distro and Orbit Shifters for larger events.  Selling the ZXA5's and EAW sub could help bridge the investment gap and make this happen quite soon.

If I could use the tops/subs from my B-rig for front fills, side fills, drum monitors or delays for the larger rig that would help give me more time before outgrowing the SM80's.  For that, I feel like voicing needs to be similar to the SM80 to pull that off in an acceptable manner, and that might be better done from the same brand which is what draws me to boxes like the SH95 or SM96.  If I get rid of the ZXA5's I will need some more tops for coverage on the bigger events, there's no question about that.

Then I see this rig and the D&B Y7/y-sub rig that was discussed earlier and I have to think hard because those are both very classy rigs that no one will discredit and would be a joy to mix on.  I think that's my biggest gripe about my current B-rig, it's not as nice to mix on and isn't light enough to be worth the trade-offs.  Then again, I don't know what these two rigs sell for but I suspect I'm not going to like it, haha.

My cheapest solution seems to be some JTR Captivator 212Pro subs added to my current B-rig which I could run with my SM80's for small rock shows, just means it's not brand matched but the savings could be put towards more small Danley tops (perhaps two more SM80's would be wise) which would give me JTR subs for both rigs and Danley tops for both rigs.  If the lack of brand matching between tops and subs becomes a problem later I can always make the investment in Danley subs but until then at least I'd have a workable solution that can earn me some money and keep me gigging.  That's the latest thought anyway.  Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far, this has been very helpful for me.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »

I've been mildly surprised at how well my pair of TH Mini subs perform. So much so, that I'd actually consider adding another pair for larger gigs instead of my Orbit Shifters.  Another reason is that four little boxes are easier for me to deal with sometimes than two larger ones.

I also have PLD 4.5 amps, but mine need a minimum of 2u spaces. You must have special editions. ;>)

I used SM 80 and SM100 for tops.

A compact high quality pair of rigs.

One other sub to consider is JTR's dual 12" model, the Captivator 212 Pro.  Only 67lbs., and pretty darned impressive.

Best regards,

John

Thanks John, the THmini's are still on my short list alongside the JTR C212Pro.  Have you used the mini's with your SM80's or just with the SM100's?  When you use your PLD4.5 are you just running one cabinet per channel?  Have you used the SM100's and SM80's at the same gig before?  How well did they complement each other?  Do you find the cabinet shape/ergonomics of the SM100 to be easy to toss on a tripod?  They might be a bit of a weird shape for front fill duties for me but they sure pack up small.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 02:58:58 PM »

Thanks John, the THmini's are still on my short list alongside the JTR C212Pro.  Have you used the mini's with your SM80's or just with the SM100's?  When you use your PLD4.5 are you just running one cabinet per channel?  Have you used the SM100's and SM80's at the same gig before?  How well did they complement each other?  Do you find the cabinet shape/ergonomics of the SM100 to be easy to toss on a tripod?  They might be a bit of a weird shape for front fill duties for me but they sure pack up small.

I've used the TH Minis with both tops.  Even had the SM80/TH Mini outside at a horse racing track grandstand.   I don't expect the Minis to do much past the 50' in front of the stage, but they were audible. 

I've also used the SM80 and SM100 together at a couple of gigs, mainly for the coverage into side rooms off the main room with the stage.  They play together fine.  The sm100 is easier to get up on stands than the sm80.  Lighter and smaller, no beating that.

I do run all my cabinets on single amp channels of a given PLD amp.

Best regards,

John

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »

Thanks for the follow-up John.  Appreciate your insight!
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »

I'll ask you what I'm asking everyone else, ever hauled your TH118's up some stairs by yourself and lived to tell the tale?

I don't think a PLD will fit in a 1U rack, but I totally agree.

Yes, not too terrible. Think of hauling a washing machine on a hand truck up stairs.

The only thing the stairs has to have is a flat face, if there is an overhanging lip on them then it will be not fun.

I have magical PLD amps that shrink, they're called Powersoft amps :P haha (not that I actually have Powersoft or PLD amps).
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »

I have magical PLD amps that shrink, they're called Powersoft amps :P haha (not that I actually have Powersoft or PLD amps).

I'm still not allowed to say very much, but if you're interested in Powersoft amps, this is something to pay attention to - http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/news/announcements/1975-powersoft-at-the-2019-namm-show

I have a couple of the new amps here and they're very good.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2019, 01:43:36 PM »

Hi Chris, I got that e-mail from Powersoft this morning so yes I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for the official announcement and tech specs.  Any info you can share before then?  :)
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 02:46:47 PM »

Yes, not too terrible. Think of hauling a washing machine on a hand truck up stairs.

The only thing the stairs has to have is a flat face, if there is an overhanging lip on them then it will be not fun.

Good point, thanks Nathan!
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »

Hi Jeremy, been watching this thread...always hoping for the impossible lol.

You know, I don't see a TH-118 and your OS as that much different handling wise....or at least, they appear to be pretty much the same task getting up stairs.
Sure, the TH-118 weighs less (86% of OS), and is a few inches shorter and less deep.  But there's just not enough diff, eh?

My smaller 'solution?' was this thread https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,163594.0.html
They are 91lbs, and I can get them up stairs.  But it's no fun.  The near cube form of a single 18" is a very awkward lift and carry IMO.
And I misplaced my handles a bit.
That said, I do like them, alot!...I view 2 of them as an OS equiv. They sound super and dig to 30Hz.

The passive JTR212pro's appear to me to be about the best whack at balancing out Hoffman' Law for smaller gigs....it's light and loud, just comes down to whether  50Hz works i guess.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.