ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightweight Rock & Roll subwoofer, what have I overlooked?  (Read 32528 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Lightweight Rock & Roll subwoofer, what have I overlooked?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2019, 11:15:48 PM »

I think the future Mrs Young is a smart cookie and needs to be a part of your administrative team.

And remember:  happy wife, happy life.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »

I think the future Mrs Young is a smart cookie and needs to be a part of your administrative team.

And remember:  happy wife, happy life.

Yes.  For sure.

Also Yes.   ;D
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2019, 08:53:50 PM »

I am on a gig at this very second that I have 4 D&B Y7P's deployed on. While the specs are nice, sound wise they are not exactly what I would call OMG. All in all, for the cost, they are not really punching above their weight. They are a dual 8" speaker that can get impressively loud and sound good but don't sound great. The point being, that money doesn't always get you more.

Let's just say that for the same total investment of the D&B Y7 system for two speakers, you could get 2 Meyer UPJ-1P's and have a killer small lightweight speaker that sounds stellar at $4k per speaker :)   Now obviously this thread is about subs. The thing about subs is that you have to pick a budget first and that will determine what you are going to get. You get to pick two of the three options of loud, cheap, or low-frequency reproduction. If you want loud and low, they won't be cheap etc. etc. For most, the budget sets the pace. If the budget is not of concern, then function obviously precedes.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2019, 12:33:32 PM »

Appreciate the feedback on the D&B system Luke.  My stairs gig came and went.  Hauled the rack/mic stand trunk/125lb subwoofer up the stairs with a helper and the rest went smoothly.  My legs sure got a workout by the end of the night. 

I'm strongly considering selling my low-level rig and just investing more in one rig that I can move by myself without stairs and with a helper when there are.  Having two price brackets just seems to be booking me with the "cheaper" system more often than I'd like to work on it, and leaving my good stuff at home not making money.  Not the best use of capital given the marginal transport differences.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2019, 01:39:47 PM »

I am on a gig at this very second that I have 4 D&B Y7P's deployed on. While the specs are nice, sound wise they are not exactly what I would call OMG....

We own six Y10P and I feel the exact opposite. My favorite box in the shop. Consistently overwhelmed with their performance.

I say this not to swerve the topic, but to point out to Jeremy and others reading along that such opinions are highly subjective and while it is nice to discuss others' experiences to gain additional insight, when making any purchase of such gravity it is very important to demo items for yourself to make sure you're picking the right tool for you.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:32 PM »

Thanks Steven.  That's the beautiful part about subjective reviews!  I'd love to audition the gear, but without getting on a plane none of the equipment I'm interested in is immediately available to me.  Still considering a flight to Danley HQ though before dropping too much more cash. 

In related news, I have some gear for sale in the marketplace and am open to offers on all of the listings.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2019, 01:39:47 PM »

This post is about a product that doesn't exist yet, but could, so I think it adds something to the discussion.

A friend of mine back in Indiana was working on some subwoofers for his portable live sound system, and he isn't afraid of making sawdust. Together we designed a tapped horn cabinet similar to the size and internal layout of the TH-Mini, but instead of the B&C 12TBX100, we used the Eminence Kappalite 3012LF. The result was a formidable subwoofer that was also very lightweight, so much so that I could lift one cabinet with one arm and hold it over my head, and I'm not a brawny person. We tested two against one LAB subwoofer loaned by another friend, and the two lightweight subs seriously held their own, with the much bigger LAB sub only winning out in ultimate LF extension by a slim margin and having a smidge more dynamic range.

Based on this experience, I think Danley Sound Labs is missing a very big boat by neglecting to offer a "TH-Lite" based on the TH-Mini but loaded with the Kappalite driver (or a derivative).
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2019, 08:27:19 PM »

This post is about a product that doesn't exist yet, but could, so I think it adds something to the discussion.

A friend of mine back in Indiana was working on some subwoofers for his portable live sound system, and he isn't afraid of making sawdust. Together we designed a tapped horn cabinet similar to the size and internal layout of the TH-Mini, but instead of the B&C 12TBX100, we used the Eminence Kappalite 3012LF. The result was a formidable subwoofer that was also very lightweight, so much so that I could lift one cabinet with one arm and hold it over my head, and I'm not a brawny person. We tested two against one LAB subwoofer loaned by another friend, and the two lightweight subs seriously held their own, with the much bigger LAB sub only winning out in ultimate LF extension by a slim margin and having a smidge more dynamic range.

Based on this experience, I think Danley Sound Labs is missing a very big boat by neglecting to offer a "TH-Lite" based on the TH-Mini but loaded with the Kappalite driver (or a derivative).

Devil's advocate -   How many people would pay for lower performance, same-ish price, to shave a few (~18) pounds?  Why not rather petition Danley for a TH-Mini2 with the best neo driver they can come up with in a similar overall size?  I'd be interested in paying slightly more for a Mini - not so much for the lower weight (I do mostly installs now) but for the 'tighter' sound of neo vs ferrite.   
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2019, 03:25:16 PM »

The tapped horn is pretty picky about what drivers are used.  Often a "lessor" driver can yield better overall performance, but not always, it depends on various factors.  The "simple numbers" don't fully describe the total performance or how it will work overall

Neo drivers cost more.  The THmini was targeted as a lower priced product, so the decision was made to use ceramic drivers.

Everything is a compromise.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »

Everything is a compromise.

Indeed. I suppose you will have to weigh feedback from all your customers, both those that request a low-priced product and those that request a lighter-weight product. The Kappalite driver, incidentally, would deliver both, at least judging from the retail price of it vs the 12TBX100.

A TH-Lite would be universally recommendable to people looking for a compact subwoofer that they can easily lift without feeling like they are lugging something large. One or a couple Crest Pro-Lite or Crown XLS2 amps in a 4U rotomolded rack would then be good for supplying the power with light weight.
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.