Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Lightweight Rock & Roll subwoofer, what have I overlooked?

<< < (2/19) > >>

Chris Grimshaw:
Just a quick FWIW, there are a lot of people (including DJs) that are happy with a 12" tapped horn which gets to around 55Hz. Obviously it won't drop low, but you can get a lot of "kick" from a fairly small box. For live rock, it might be just what you need.

Chris

Jeremy Young:
Wow I just skimmed through this on my cell phone and I wrote a LONG thread. Thanks to those who stuck through it!

Jeremy Young:

--- Quote from: Mike Christy on January 09, 2019, 05:41:28 PM ---I'd K.I.S.S if I'da do it again, buy the complimentary sub that goes with the tops, the ZXA1 sub. If you dont need the Shifters for those applications, dont get another Shifter-like sub (TH115/8). Have a true A rig and true B rig. Or if you want more performance in that size, look at the RCF offerings, but higher price, you get what you pay for. Bottom line, dont invest in a second rig that is almost what you have now. Stay powered for the B rig, no sense in rolling in a rack when you dont have to. Just my thoughts...

--- End quote ---

Hi Mike, wise words, I appreciate your insight. 

I just wish the ZXA1 sub was a better fit for what I have in mind.  Even when paired with the ZXA1 top they (EV in their user manual) recommend a 2:1 ratio for bass-heavy program.  The ZXA5 has another 7dB max SPL that was presumably measured in the same way as the ZXA1.  I'd probably need a whole fleet of them!  I heard it once as a drum-monitor sub and was underwhelmed.  Then again, 3 per side might pull it off... haha.

Jeremy Young:

--- Quote from: Lou Kohley on January 09, 2019, 06:43:36 PM ---I personally love the 118 specifically because it's so easy to move. Even dragging it up stairs is not an impossible task.

I have the exact rig you are talking about SM80/TH118, DSL SC48 processor into Crest Pro Lite amps. I find it very easy to get in and out of most every venue. I used to work with a wedding band around the Tahoe area. They was always an older building that had to go up the steps or something. After I started using the Danley system I found I was less tired from moving everything in and out and could keep working by myself. Helpers are nice but sometimes I couldn't find one available.

Do you ever come down to the US? My rig is kind of hanging around currently as I recently moved to Olympia WA and don't have a client base here yet. Perhaps you would want to check them out and see if they would work for you.

LOU

--- End quote ---

Hi Lou,

I don't get off "the rock" (Vancouver Island) often but in the grand scheme of things you're very close-by.  I very much appreciate your insight.  I've heard from several folks that the TH118 is easy up stairs which is hard for me to imagine because my Orbit Shifter is NOT, haha.  There is a definite difference in height, depth and weight, as well as the fact that the OS-Pro is a bit top-heavy with the driver in the top part of the cabinet versus the TH118 design. 

That's a very generous offer and if I find the time to do so I will send you a PM and take you up on that.  I'd love to hear a TH118 first-hand and maybe wheel it around.  It would offer the output/extension/brand matching I'm looking for across both rigs since I will likely upgrade the ZXA5 to some kind of SM60F/SM96/SH95 when I've gotten a little more return on it.

What were you hauling prior to the Danley rig that you found tougher to move around? 

Appreciate the thoughts, and good luck with the new location!  Welcome to the PNW

Jeremy Young:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on January 09, 2019, 07:26:57 PM ---Just something to consider.

If the output spl is high enough, a lightweight sub will walk around on the floor.

They need to have enough weight to keep them solid.

Some of the ones mentioned will walk around, even though they are "pretty heavy".

But that is because they have greater output

--- End quote ---

Very good point Ivan, one that I hadn't considered. Likely one of the reasons it's so hard for me to find the perfect solution, it simply isn't practical to have a lot of output without a lot of weight. 

Perhaps a few small cabs strapped together would suffice for my needs, but at the end of the day I think I'd spend less and be happier with the end result with something a little bigger, hence looking at things like the EV QRX118S or Danley Thmini15.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version